Should I buy this 1990 MK IV?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I know basically nothing but would like to get into flying.  I'm in Sacramento Ca and haven't seen it in person and will drive up based on the advise.  It appears to be in good shape from the pics. 

My main concern is the wing fabric how do I know if its good and what its made of and how much longer will it last?

How do I know If the fuselage is OK not bent or other damage?

It has had a recent annual is that good enough or do I need more inspections?

I don' want to buy a turkey just an Avid with reasonable maintenance cost. 

What do you experienced people think? Any and all advice appreciated, thanks.

1x1.gif
Experimental / Avid
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
AVID FLYER MK4, SPEED WING â€¢ $10,500 • FLY CHEAP â€¢ Foldable wings, Similar to Kitfox, Rotax 582 TT 127, TTAF 579, Spare Heavy Hauler Wings, Bersa Chute, Open trailer all included, All logs, manuals, annual Mar 2013, Flown regularly, Mostly stored in garage, Great flying little plane,

Posted

My .02 isnt worth much but I dont think the MK4 was out until 1991. Avid was still shipping the C model in December of 90 and I'm guessing thats a model C with a mk4 rudder. The cowl, offset in the tail and no trim tab built into the elevator are a couple clues to it's type. It does look decent from the pics and with all the parts included that could be a pretty decent deal.

Posted (edited)

It looked nice in the pics. Not a bad price either. If the extra wings are good, I would guess they are worth $2500 or so. We were just discussing a few weeks ago, what flaperons are worth, if they are on the long wings as well, I've heard prices of $750 each used. Might be high, but it's still valuable and makes the price of the plane itself that much less. Trailer must be worth $500 or so any way also. Look it over real good, if you are worried about it being twisted up, bring a ruler and measure from tail to wing tips and such to see if it's square and true. Another place to look for dammage is the seat truss. Lots of them get bent in hard landings. Top and bottom tubes were never spliced from the factory. Not a big problem if it's fixed good, but evidence of dammage history. Just a few thoughts, look it over and see what you think. If you can bring someone else who is familiar with rag and tube planes, so much the better. Bersa Chute? Does he mean a balistic chute? They are worth a fair amount also, maybe $1500 or more if it's current. Take care, Jim Chuk

Just read birddog's post, what is the serial # if you know it? After 1000 is probably a MK IV, before probably a C

Cowl does look like a C model.

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

I dont think it is a MK IV for the reasons already mentioned, as well as it does not have the baggage door on the left side.  It appears to be cable brakes also.  Those are worthless at best.  It has a C model cowling and a homemade or modified MK IV rudder.  The serial number would tell the tale and it is possible that it was a "D" model (early "D" model) that then became the MK IV with a few other modifications.  It is still worth looking at for sure, but I am sceptical that it is truly a MK IV.  Check Gross weight on the paperwork!

:BC:

Posted

Serial Number 399 Status Valid Manufacturer Name QUARNOCCIO ROSS A Certificate Issue Date 12/08/2009 Model AVID FLYER Expiration Date 02/29/2016 Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating Pending Number Change None Dealer No Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 51122626 MFR Year 1990 Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) A4A596 Type Registration Individual Fractional Owner NO

Based on Serial number, it is NOT a Mk IV, and probably a B model that has been modified... Closer inspection of the pictures and I see the cheek radiator that would make me think B modle for sure with the cable brakes etc... Either this guy does no know what he really has, or is just trying to pawn it off as a MK IV because it has the rounded tail.  It looks like the tail started off life as a B or C tail and then it was modified to have the round profile.  The odd little "stinger" at the bottom of the rudder looks like the original profile of the B or C rudder that for what ever reason was not cut off when it was modified.  That had to be kind of a bitch to cover and make it look good!

Posted

I happen to live just 3 miles from beagle Sky Ranch where the pictures were taken. I was looking at this ad but I noticed the cable brakes and the lack of the baggage door. I also noticed the N number comes up as a Baby Great Lakes as least it seems to be N3990 which is what I searched for.

Robert

Posted

The N number is 366Q.

Posted

Thanks for all the input.

I looked up N366Q  on the FAA site http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=366Q it showed a deregistered  1963 beech.  How did you come to the info associated with it?

I'm more confused than ever. So its not a MK IV you folks understand the older Avid sounds like I should pass on this. Does it fly the same and have same features?  Does it have quality fabric and whats the life span of the fabric?  It maybe just a slapped together older Avid from pieces.  

I can pay more I would like to buy one that will keep a resale value if I become disinterested. What should I look for in a IV that would hold resale engine, age ect?

Question pass on this (Y/N)?

Thanks,

respectfully Larry

Posted

My bad, it is N399Q I think I must have dumb thumbed it.

Posted

N 399Q on the FAA website is and Avid Flyer, serial # 399. Currently owned by a Jerry Warren of Medford, Oregon. Seems like everything is okey with the FAA on the plane. Probably a C model. I've never flown a speed wing Avid, higher stall and landing speeds than the long wing versions. I had a couple of B models and 2 MK IVs so far. They all flew good. All very responsive and quick on the controls. The B models climbed better because they were lighter with the same engine (582) I still think that with all that comes with the plane it should be a good buy if it's in nice condition. I would want the longer wing, but if you want to cruise at faster speeds, the speed wing might be the way to go then. Go have a look at it and if you can get someone else to look at it with you. Go for a ride in it and see what you think. Everyone's ideas are different, I might love one plane and you might not be very impressed with it at all. Most of these Avids and Kitfoxes don't get left outside, so the fabric is probably good. Again you have to look at it. Take care, Jim Chuk

Posted

Gentlemen, you are 'spot on'. Here's the reply I received when I questioned the Avid based on your knowledge.  Please keep me in mind if you know of anyone who is selling a quality IV at a just price.

Thanks again

Hi Larry

I appreciate your interest.

My son has expressed interest in the plane.   So I will be pulling it off Barnstormers.

With respect to the Model.  I was told when I bought it that it was a Mk4.  I did not check, I took his word for it.  But I believe it is as you indicate below.  I have not got the original bill of sale for the kit so I cannot verify the model.  But looking at the literature, it appears it is a B with the rudder modifications to make it a C.  Gross weight is 900 lbs with the speed wings, and that is what is on the name plate.

Regards

Jerry

Posted

Larry I am hangared just West of Sac in Vacavile. I'd be more than happy to show you my model C and chat Avid/Kitfoxes with you sometime.

Joey

Posted

Joey,

I'd like to me you and see your Avid.  Let me know how to reach you, my email larry.mahoney@att.net.  By the way I flew on a C-5 only once when I was in the AF during the Vietnam conflict, its a huge bird. I thought it was retired.

Thanks

Posted

Larry I shot you an email. The C5 is alive and well. We have an all glass cockpit now and were in the middle of putting newer engines on that gives us 20% more thrust. We can haul twice the weight twice as far than any other airplane in the inventory not to mention we can haul particular items that one else can. In Sept of last year one with the new engines broke 41 world records in one flight. They did replace the Lockheed C 141 with the newer C-17 about 10 yrs ago.