Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Best way to remove powder coating

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Fellas,

I need to do a little welding on my fuselage. What do you use to get powder coating off the tubes?

I'm just removing about 6" on a tube or two.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

I've used a wire wheel. Access may be a bit difficult, but if you can get some off, then sandpaper may work. I have also tried to burn it off with a torch, then sand.

larry

Posted

I looked on the 'net a couple years back and saved this info, never tried them:

Eastwood Aerosol Paint and Powder Stripper P/n 10550ZP

Eastwood Gel Paint and Powder Stripper P/n 12724ZP

Here is a low voc eco friendly alternative: http://www.mileschemicalsolutions.com/Powder_Coating_Stripper_Home.htm

When using strippers, remember powder coatings are more solvent resistant than other coatings and may require more time than paint to remove. To speed results, cover the part with a heavy coating of remover and cover the remover with saran wrap or a plastic bag to prevent evaporation.

If you only need to do a small amount, you can try this:

Permatex Gasket Remover p/n 80646 (NAPA equivalent is p/n 765-1230), it comes in a 12 oz can. One more thing...there is a 'new' Permatex Gasket Remover, part number 80645, and it WILL NOT remove powder coating. You must use 80646.

If you try any of these please report back on efficacy.

Posted (edited)

I was quoted $700 to sandblast and repowder the mangy fox from a local place.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Thanks guys...I'll report what works.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

If its just small areas I used a wire wheel and it takes it right off.  you can also hit the area with a propane torch and just warm it up and the coating will bubble up and come right off.  Clean up with a hand wire brush.  I am not talking about hitting the tubes with the torch till they turn bright red :lol:  just warm them up enough for the coating to bubble up and your golden.

:BC:

Posted

Well, I used just about everyone's ideas.

I used some aircraft paint stripper from a local automotive store. I brushed it in the area, and then wrapped with tin foil. Then came back with a wire brush. Worked like a champ!

Thanks,

Ron