Followers 0

Smart Diesel

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Smart Diesel.  Where do I sign up?

1.7 GPH

190 LBS with mount, oil and coolant

Posted (edited)

Do I dare comment on a "new" engine without Doug jumping in on my "new" experimental plane?

Yeh - I'm brave!

I just read an article about "new" diesel engines for experimental, and they said that the Mercedes, Smart engine with only 42 hp, was a flop!!!!

Better results are with the VW TDI and Peugot (sp?) engines, with more horses.

I haven't done any research on it, but I am wondering about the Subaru gas engine in the new Scion - I think it is a 125 hp, maybe turbo, and don't know what weight.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm waiting to hear about someone using a webber four stroke.  I understand they are bullet proof as an industrial motor, are used by polaris on lots of stuff, and better weight per hp than a 912.  Anybody see one in an airplane?

Posted

There is a monster thread on the Rotary Wing Forum on the Weber MPE 750 use in aircraft.. Last I saw there were some installs with a couple years success history. I also read the 750 was discontinued in favor of a new 850 version and the Sea Ray or some other boat manufacturer had exclusive rights so the fly guys might be out of luck with Weber?

Posted

The Yamaha snowmobile engines are actually getting more flight time, the 120hp and the 150hp, there is a guy offering a kit for the 150hp at a reasonable price. www.rotaryforum.com

Posted

The Yamaha snowmobile engines are actually getting more flight time, the 120hp and the 150hp, there is a guy offering a kit for the 150hp at a reasonable price. www.rotaryforum.com

Tell us more - I went to the site but didn't find the kit.

EDMO

Posted

the 120 has the bigger thread, but you have one person selling the complete outfit with engine the site you want is http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37557&highlight=150+genesis+kit this is probably the best forum for alternative engines I have found, and the 150hp Yamaha seems to be the better or at least easier engine to convert, the Weber 750 MPE turbo would be my choice, but I don't have a mill so this would be the easiest way for me to go. Use the search function on the site it helps.

Posted

the 120 has the bigger thread, but you have one person selling the complete outfit with engine the site you want is http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37557&highlight=150+genesis+kit this is probably the best forum for alternative engines I have found, and the 150hp Yamaha seems to be the better or at least easier engine to convert, the Weber 750 MPE turbo would be my choice, but I don't have a mill so this would be the easiest way for me to go. Use the search function on the site it helps.

My curiosity keeps me awake - I read the conversions pages - don't know squat about the mythical "diesel engine" they are talking about. Info?

Thanks, EDMO

Posted

I have heard of very few diesel conversions that work, there is the dieselis aircraft, the website is in French so I can't reap much about it, the engine was used by bobcat in a 385 I think excavator,it is a peugoet and was used in a few other cars that weren't sold in the US, the power is about 100hp and it is fairly light weight as diesels go, I personally love the idea of diesel engines, no plugs to go bad and the older pre computer engines were simple, the VW diesel was fairly heavy but there are a lot more vw industrial engines than people would think. with the fuel mileage or Gallons per hour that these new snowmobile engines burn you are getting a very economical engine to operate and the snowmobiles wear out before the engines do. I just passed on a running and driving Yamaha for $4000 that I could have pulled the engine from and parted out the rest for about what I would have in it, My wife finishes nursing school in 6 months and she has promised me a new or new to me plane, I will probably build another, there was a Norman explorer based very closely on the Dean Wilson explorer that was like a tiny camper and flew at close to legal LSA speed, that one interests me, but maybe I will check on a new Kitox IV with my new weight I can easily get away with it.

Posted

I had looked into a 2008 ford focus motor ,, it weighs 211 with alt intake and exhaust manifolds,.now the fiesta 3 cylinder motor,..shown sitting in a suitcase on the ford site,..supposed to be 100 hp,..wonder what the weight is and what HPit's pumping with the ecoboost connected..

Posted

It should be getting close to a useable weight, the things it needs are to be a popular enough car engine that there are plenty to be had, a light weight PSRU and cooling system, If there are enough of them built there is a possibility of lightening it up enough to be used as an aircraft conversion. I still like diesels, if nothing else you save the weight of the ignition system, the one I thought was going to make it is being used in UAVs right now so it may come available within a few years, the DAIRwith the scott stroke engine

Posted (edited)

not to get off topic..but what kind of tracks you welding?? I have built a few naskart go kart tracks :)

if you have ever watched "Swamp Loggers" on history channel..I use to do allot of welding for Bobby Goodson

Edited by SkyPirate

Posted (edited)

as for a PSRU the "Back yard flyer"/"Culver props" ..are about 20 miles from here,..they can build a PSRU for just about anything,..also known as Valley Engineering

Edited by SkyPirate

Posted (edited)

Wasn't Valley the ones who made the V8 silent chain reddrives? A machinist in Nikiski, Alaska made one for an EA-81 - I had the prints somewhere.

Diesels run slow anyway, or used to - don't think you should need a redrive. Wonder what the little VW weighs?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I know Valley Engineering makes belt drive reductions,..don't know about chain drive

Posted

There was a place in Europe that was doing conversions on the VW motors.  The iron block (even on the newest TDIs) makes them heavy.  Something like 270# with a PSRU.

Not all diesels are slow turning.  My 2001 VW TDI (99 hp) redlines at 5000 rpm with peak torque something like 4200.  My wife's new '12 TDI (140 hp) reds at 5500 rpm, peak torque around 4500.  The small diesels are not long stroke motors like my 94 Dodge Cummins (Redline at 3000, peak torque at 1700) highly derated to a modified 230 hp - 600 ft/lb with a motor weight of near 1200#.  The little ones are mostly square or slightly under square.

I'd love to have a Jet A burning recip motor for my Kitfox.

Posted

I welded railroad tracks with thermite mostly, and also worked on switches and Frogs, you would cut out 40 lbs of bad metal and weld it back in. It was a good job until you had to work on other jobs on the railroad and putting in concrete ties finally took out my back and retired me, any clearer

Posted

I hear ya trackwelder, ive had surgery on both legs my back my right hand, right ankle is still broke, so is my left shoulder, so I can relate :)

Posted

The government bought me a bunch of titanium if it goes up to gold's price I could buy a new plane