Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Introduction- Nate

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello! My name is Nate. I don't post a whole lot on this forum, but I enjoy seeing what everybody else is up to. I was born and raised in Anchorage. We moved out of state a few times growing up but my family always returned to Alaska. I work on the north slope. 

I earned my license in '99. For years I owned a nice little Cessna 140. Great little airplane, but it didn't have enough seats once the kiddos (two) started showing up. After I sold the 140 I won a Searey in a raffle. Although a nice little amphib, it was still just two seats and setting it up for skis was out of the question. So I was able to transform the Searey into my current aircraft, an Aeronca Sedan. I can't say enough about what an awesome plane it is. I can load up the family and get out of town. It's not real fast but it's very comfortable. I thought the previous owner was exaggerating when he said that it'd be easier to fly than the 140, but it's true. And I thought the 140 was easy!

I bought the remains of a wrecked Avid (A model, SN# 55) years ago while working on my license. I was going to rebuild it but never made much progress on it. It came with the Cuyuna engine, which I sold. I acquired a 532 on the advice of John Knapp. I think if I was going to get it flying I'd look for a 503. I like the idea of a bare bones aircraft with a low, low empty weight. I'm not sure if it will fly again, honestly speaking. 

Most of my flying is out to the family cabin in the Susitna Valley. I don't have floats yet but it is on the horizon. I've taken a few trips to different parts of the state, and just to buzz around a bit. I don't fly as much as I would like, but I think this summer is looking pretty good to get some more flying in.

-Nate

post-113-0-06050100-1368428616_thumb.jpg

post-113-0-32346200-1368428630_thumb.jpg

post-113-0-49184000-1368428659_thumb.jpg

Posted

Howdy Nate!  I am still miffed at ya for winning my sea rey.. I knew for sure I had bought the winning ticket on that one!  :lmao:  Looking forwards to some flying fishing camping trips one of these days.

I guess most people see the name of the site and thing its just about Avid's or kitfox's, but I am all about having it alot like BCP where guys hang out just to talk flying and trips they have been on etc.

A buddy up here has a balled up Sedan that he loved and still swears he will rebuild one day.. The old Alaskan story of "I think I can get out of here with that extra moose quarter in it" kinda thing..  What engine do you have in yours?

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting Nate. I had a friend in Anchorage who flew the Sedan - sorry that I never got to fly it before coming back South. Like the photos of your Planes - Would like to see your Avid too.

I hope others will see that it don't take much effort to post something of interest about themselves or their birds.

Best wishes,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Leni- My Sedan has the 180 HP engine in it with a seaplane prop. It also has seaplane doors on both sides (they came from the factory with only one door on the co-pilot side). The engine was installed some time in the 60's on an airframe specific STC, not Burl Roger's STC. There's quite a bit of room in the cabin, but I might look into installing a baggage door sometime down the road. It flies great, kind of like an old truck (in a good way!)

Part of me wanted to keep the Searey, but it was like owning a motorcycle when a station wagon is needed. That, and they aren't really built for Alaska. One of the more active members on the Searey forum recommends rebuilding a Searey after 5 years or 500 hours (?!). The current owner lives overseas in the winter, so an amphib works very well for him.

Ed- I'm glad you made the post, it is quite easy to do this. Hopefully more people will put a post up. I don't have a picture of my Avid. It's a bare airframe and wings. It had a blue paint job. It suffered a wreck when the pilot stalled it during landing.

-Nate