Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Big knob friction throttle

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I want to ditch the vernier throttle and go to a friction type. I like the retro look of the big knob.

Are the ones for $75 at acs(acs-800) the only/best option?

Posted

I went with the Rotax dual throttle cable with friction lock from ACS and others but have not installed it yet.  kind of pricey but what the heck.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's a good cable.  I have the same on my 912.

Posted

Hey Larry, are you using the cable with or without the full throttle default springs on the Bing carbs?

Posted

I am using the springs that pull to full throttle.

With the locking ring fully loosened, the springs will slowly open the throttles, there is enough resistance in the cables that they don't just snap open.

Posted

Larry I installed the Rotax friction cable yesterday and re=balanced the carbs. Sure do like the feel of it and plan on using it without the springs. I am headed to the airport to give it a try in a few minutes.

Posted

Just remember: that cable is not designed to push, only pull. I think you will be okay, but would still counsel using springs, at least light ones on the throttle arms of a 912.

I put an hour on mine again last night after playing with carb settings a little. I had taken off the carbs to clean an inspect them. All was running well except for a slight chugging just off idle. I adjusted the idle air screws to one turn out from the seat rather than the 1-1/2 recommended by LEAF. Problem solved. It's running so smooth now, I can idle down to 1200 without gearbox chatter!