Nanco 21x12x8 sale $31.80

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Thanks for the link!! I ordered a set just to stash in the hangar. I almost ordered 2. They seem to hold up really well. I land on dirt as much as I can but even with close to 700 landings mine are still in great shape. They kind of screw you on shipping but last time I bought em they were almost $60 a piece with outragous so that was still a steal.

Posted

I wonder where these tires actually drop ship from?!? I just got my email receipt and the company address is about 30 miles from where I live. I'm gonna be super pissed if I paid $50 for shipping for a 30 mile journey on a truck!

Posted

hahaha I posted my receipt over on Backcountrypilot for the guys running Alaskan Bushwheels. My tires cost less than half a tank of fuel for most of those guys and my whole plane is worth less than a brand new prop on most of those planes. At the big backcountry fly-ins at some point in the day I usually always spot a group of people gathered around the Avid pointing and scratching their heads. They have a hard time comprehending that just because you don't have 200+ horsepower and enough room to bring half your house with you that you can still go the Backcountry and have a good time. On my last few Idaho trips I burned less gas in the whole week I was out there then the 235HP Maule and 185 guys burn on one morning of flying.

Posted

HaHa, so true Joey!  That is part of the fun of flying the Avid amongst the Cubs, etc. crowd.  I love telling them I am burning 4.2 to 4.4 GPH at 90 to 95 mph and 3.0 gph at 70.

Posted

I just found this post and link. Now the question is what wheels are you guys running these on and where did you get them?

Joey, I know you told me you were running Douglas 8" but do you know where you got them?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

They are stock Kitfox wheels.  Douglas 8" atv wheels with lugs welded on to bolt the brake disk to.  You would probably need to have the complete kitfox brake, axel, and hub assembly to use them on your plane.  You have to watch barnstormers like a hawk then act fast when you see complete set pop up.

post-130-0-78035500-1389277990_thumb.jpg

Edited by tcj

Posted

Sounds to me like there might be a market modifying these wheels for Avid use instead of having to switch to everything KF has. I could get those out pretty quickly. I can surely build my own if they are just a modified stock wheel. I'm sure I can even get them to work with the Matco brakes.

Does anyone have any good pictures of how they are set up? I.E. the back side of the wheel?

Thanks!

Posted

Ken,

The Douglas ATV wheels were standard items in the early kits.

EDMO

Posted

There are 3 lugs welded to the back side of the rim that are tapped for the 3 screws that hold the matco brake disk.  The backing plate is the same.  The hubs that are used is the kicker.  I am sure they are just an ATV hub, but I am not sure which one was used.  They use the same bearings as the Matco wheels.  You can get a set of the douglas rims for around 58 bucks each, and 5 minutes worth of welding to put the lugs on.  10 minutes if you dont have a jig to hold the tabs in place and are doing it by hand. 

:BC:

Posted

Leni,

Thanks, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to get something set up with these. I don't need them yet since if I purchase the Mk IV I'm working on it comes with a set of tundra tires on wheels, but the price and durability of these Nanco sound very promising. I might buy a set just to have as a backup set.

Posted (edited)

Ken,

When you come over for the fuselage I will show you a set, if you remind me then.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Here's a couple pictures of the back side of the wheel.

Posted (edited)

Here's a couple pictures of the back side of the wheel.  They came in my kit with 3 bolt holes and instructions for the builder to drill the other 3.

post-130-0-97594600-1389368550_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-11785700-1389368598_thumb.jpg

Edited by tcj

Posted (edited)

Like Leni said, the Douglass wheels and welded on tabs for the rotors are the easy part.  The hard part is the hubs.  I have yet to see a source for them.

Personally, I don't see the attraction to the 8" wheels.  Yes, ATV tires are cheap, but they don't last very long compared.  The brakes SUCK.  Big time.  You can mod the peddles to help, but they still suck.

I went to  the 6" Grove gear with matching wheels and brakes.  The brakes are far better without any need to mod the peddles.  I am running the 21x800x6 tires which are the same diameter as my ATV tires were.  They will last many times more than the ATV tires at still a reasonable cost ($100 ea).  The brake pads are easy to find and service.  As are the rotors.  Parts replacement do not require machine work or welding.  Everything is off the shelf and readily available.

It's one thing if this is the equipment you have with your plane or Kit and are just building it.  But to go through all the trouble to replicate this setup seems a waste.   To me this is the same old principal of chasing good money after a cheap solution that will eventually cost more than doing the job right the first time.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

if your flying off the soft rough stuff, the tires your running dont compare to the nanco's  in sand and gravel the nancos are alot easier on the airframe and will get you off the ground quicker as they dont sink in as much.  They are also lighter.  But I agree if your flying off pavement, the 21s you have will last MUCH longer!  It is pretty much the old argument that 90% of the pilots flying supercubs these days would do just fine running 8.50's... but due to the little dick syndrome they have to go out and buyt 35" ABW just to look cool in the hangar and on the apron.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm beginning to see that it wouldn't be worth the trouble for me to source all the parts and go that route. Especially after a very late night/early morning insomniac attack gave me time to do five hours of research for hubs with no real good answer other than it would be cheaper to build my own by far. Now if I just had a lathe....

If I was flying in AK I would probably go this route but for me I guess it makes more sense to just stick to paying a little more for tires.

Posted

Too bad KF doesn't still make the hubs for the older models.  When I bought the set I have several years ago they said they thought they might have 1 or 2 left.  Someone with a lathe and some skill chould turn out the hubs and continue to sell them still I'll bet.  I used the hubs on the 21" Nanco's and the 25" atv tires I ran for a while on the 9" Douglas wheels.  The 25" atv tires with the tread cut off worked very well; a step above the 21's.

Posted

I almost wondered about making some that way too. If there was enough call for them it might even be worth having some cast from aluminum and professionally machined to accept the right bearings.

Posted

Considering the extremely limited market, you would need to charge $500 each for them just to break even.  (Speaking as a manufacturing engineer.)

These are not a custom part.  The source and or application just needs to be found.  Perhaps a trailer hub of some sort rather than an ATV?

Posted

I know this is an older topic, but where can I buy the 21 x 8x 6 inch tires?

Posted (edited)

If you go to the very first post in this thread there is a link to a very good price on them. If I had a way to build hubs (economically), I would order some myself!

EDIT: looks like Ed was right, should have looked at the numbers better......

Edited by lostman

Posted (edited)

I think he was asking about the 21x6 - not the 8's - I would like to know too.  What brand?

You are not referring to something like Airstreak 800 x 6?  I think they are 19". Maybe 850 and so heavy?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri