Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dimensions of Kitfox 582 oversize belly radiator?

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

Does anyone have the dimensions of the oversize 582 belly radiator? Dimensions for the standard 582 belly radiator would be nice to have also.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

Hi,

Does anyone have the dimensions of the oversize 582 belly radiator? Dimensions for the standard 582 belly radiator would be nice to have also.

Thanks,

Dan

Never give up on this flight crew - Someone should answer you.

I can get you dimensions on my 532 standard rad if that will help, and my EA81 Soob (VW Rabbit) too.

EDMO

Posted

the standard Kitfox belly mount radiator is 24 1/4" X 4".  Make sure it stands off the belly atleast 2" to get it into cleaner air or you will not like the overheating that results!  I dropped mine down 1 1/2" yesterday and it was much better than the 1/2" it was.  I am going to drop it down one more inch today and hopefully wont see temps above 180 on climb out.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to replace the side mount radiator on my model C speedwing. I am thinking about the oversize Kitfox radiator mounted under the belly with a scoop housing. It is getting into the 90's here and my temps won't come down below 180 in cruise anymore. Running about 190-200 on climb. There is a place on ebay making the kitfox radiators in china I think but not sure they are much bigger than stock. Other option is to mount motorcycle radiator below prop and modify cowling for it. That has worked for a friend of mine.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

I may have one for sale in the next few days if the in cowl radiators I have work on mine.  I should know in a few days if your interested.  I got mine for 150 and would sell for the same thing if your interested.  It looks new.

Posted

I may have one for sale in the next few days if the in cowl radiators I have work on mine.  I should know in a few days if your interested.  I got mine for 150 and would sell for the same thing if your interested.  It looks new.

Thanks for the offer. That might be a good option although I am concerned that it might not be enough for the heat here. I am going to try to get a camera mounted on the gear aimed at the bottom of the fuselage with yarns taped up there to see what airflow does under there first.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

i think that is a great idea!  

Posted

i think that is a great idea!  

I was not able to find an easy way to mount the camera to the gear with the fairings on there but my hangermate and I were talking about the conversion yesterday and we might have a plan. Do you have the dimensions of your radiator? That is if you plan to sell it. Also any idea how much it might cost to ship to 77573 zip?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to replace the side mount radiator on my model C speedwing. I am thinking about the oversize Kitfox radiator mounted under the belly with a scoop housing. It is getting into the 90's here and my temps won't come down below 180 in cruise anymore. Running about 190-200 on climb. There is a place on ebay making the kitfox radiators in china I think but not sure they are much bigger than stock. Other option is to mount motorcycle radiator below prop and modify cowling for it. That has worked for a friend of mine.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan my airplane has the side radiator and the belly radiator in series. Not sure what my Belly radiator is off of but if it's below 65 oat out I have to put a piece of tape across half the belly one to keep my temps above 145 degrees. If it's super hot out though I watch my temps close but so far it's never gotten over about 175. The guy who originally had my FWF was from Southern CA and had the same issue only having  a side radiator. What are your plans for removing the scoop entirely? I'm sure I could pick up a few mph in cruise without that big ol thing sticking out there. It does make for a good conversation starter though. I get asked all the time what it's for. I usually tell folks it's the turbine inlet. :french11:

Posted

Dan my airplane has the side radiator and the belly radiator in series. Not sure what my Belly radiator is off of but if it's below 65 oat out I have to put a piece of tape across half the belly one to keep my temps above 145 degrees. If it's super hot out though I watch my temps close but so far it's never gotten over about 175. The guy who originally had my FWF was from Southern CA and had the same issue only having  a side radiator. What are your plans for removing the scoop entirely? I'm sure I could pick up a few mph in cruise without that big ol thing sticking out there. It does make for a good conversation starter though. I get asked all the time what it's for. I usually tell folks it's the turbine inlet. :french11:

I plan to remove the side radiator and smooth out the fuselage side with a temp panel for now until I get a chance to glass it in. I will wait to see that the single lower radiator will work first though. My Avid is a speedwing and I would like to keep my cruise above 100 mph.

Dan

Posted

Please post pictures of your finished product. I am thinking seriously about doing the same. I have lower radiator taped off half the year and I'd love to get rid of some drag off the side.

Posted

Took me a while to finally confirm but the belly radiator works great now on it's own. I finished the repairs on my flaperon that came unglued and got some flight time in this past weekend. I removed the side radiator and and scoop before flying this weekend. It appears that I have gotten most of my speed back. I have started making a form for a radiator scoop to cover the belly radiator hoping to clean it up aerodynamically. I took pictures with my cell phone camera. I will try to get them downloaded. Temps were in the 80's this past weekend and my water temps never went nuch over 130 on the gauge. At wide open throttle in level flight at 2000' I was showing just over 110 mph indicated. I was seeing 113-114 before adding the belly radiator with just the side mount.

Dan

Posted

How much did you pick up by losing the Side mount? I'll be hitting you up for information on this when I get ready to do mine. Here is what my belly radiator looks like. I do not know what or where it's orginally from. It came as part of a FWF I purchased a long time ago. I'm thinking of buying an aluminum one when I get ready to do the swap though to try and shed some more weight off the front. Someone mentioned to me that they thought my cowling had been shaved off quite a bit already. Does anyone have a good pic of the bottom of an original B model cowling ?

f2ed3bc0-987c-4114-8cd2-b5889e862c89.jpg

Posted

Joey, I wonder how much heat is flowing off of the exhaust back to the rad - Been concerned about that with mounting mine - hoping to go up front with rad.

EDMo

Posted

I think the checkerboard reflection under the nose needs to be air brushed on permanent :)

Posted

Just an update after flying through the hot part of Summer with the belly radiator. For the past few weeks temps have been in to mid to high 90's here and I still can't get the engine temps above 130 in a hard extended climb. I am going to have to tape off part of the radiator until I can find another way to keep it warm. It is a much better problem to have than the overheating issues I had with the side mounted radiator though.

Dan

Posted

Thanks for the update Dave. What did you end up doing with your cowling? I still haven't done anything with mine. I have been flying another plane most of the summer.

Posted (edited)

I'm preparing to install a belly radiator. I get the 2" from the belly bottom dimension but I was wondering respective of exhaust heat, what would be the minimum setback from the muffler with a 582 setup?  The easiest place is roughly 1/2 way between the firewall and the landing gear. I was wondering though if that's far enough from exhaust heat flow.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

Thanks for the update Dave. What did you end up doing with your cowling? I still haven't done anything with mine. I have been flying another plane most of the summer.

I glassed in the hole that was in the side of the cowling now and finally got it painted.

I am trying to figure out how to attach pictures to these posts. As soon as I do I will post some pictures from the transformation. A major key to making the belly radiator work is a separating plate that I made to funnel the hot air from the cowling/muffler through the gap between the radiator and bottom of fuselage. Hot cowling air also exits the bottom of the cowling at the sides.

Posted (edited)

Dave,  When you post something and want to add photos, click on the "More Reply Options" after writing, and it will send you to the complete editor where you can browse and add your photo - after adding the photo, you can also add it directly to the post.

Hope this helps,

From the Puter Neanderthal EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

click the "more reply options button" and it will have a button to add attachments.  Click that and it will pop up a window for you to browse to where your photos are located on your computer.  You can then select you pictures you want and upload them to the site...

Most sites make you put your photos on another site like photo bucket then link them to the forum.  that is a pain in the ass so I pay (ok we the contributing members pay) for the unlimited band width so it is a one step click to put pictures on the site.  If you need further help, drop me a PM and I will try and walk you through it.

Posted

Pictures of my Belly radiator conversion.

post-220-0-29759400-1409155484_thumb.jpg

post-220-0-52003200-1409155548_thumb.jpg

post-220-0-88383300-1409155583_thumb.jpg

post-220-0-83442500-1409155622_thumb.jpg

Posted

Pictures after first 2 coats of paint on cowling.

post-220-0-60834900-1409156545_thumb.jpg

post-220-0-56609100-1409156585_thumb.jpg

post-220-0-53301800-1409156623_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Sweet!  I like the duct you made to keep the cowling air above the radiator! 

I think I spy a MK IV fuse in the back ground...

Posted

Got it! Just had to find the option. Should have been quicker but I had to run the dog to the Vet's office first.

I am working on a cowling/scoop to enclose the radiator and hopefully allow me to control the airflow with a small flap and control cable at the back. I might also try to add a slot to the floor in the cockpit with a slider to act as cabin heat for the month or so of winter we have.

Thanks,

Dan