WTB a nose wheel for the MK IV

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I am going to set up a MK IV up with the nose wheel. Anyone have one or know where to get one? Or even make one? I am going to pick the plane up next week! YAY :) I have a shoet strip and am going to need to use the brakes especially if I have a strong tail wind. I only have a south opening and use it all the time but so far have been ok with trike set ups. Amie

Posted

Other than Airdale, I haven't seen any for sale lately.

Let me be the first to welcome you, too. We need more ladies on this board! Post often and have fun!

Posted (edited)

Welcome aboard Amie!  My MKIV was set up with a nose wheel when I bought it.  I asume yours already has the nose gear tube welded into the fusalage so check that to be sure.  Mine had a castoring nosegear that was from an RV-6 so you might check if you can buy one from Vans if you can't find a used one.  It was forged spring steel that inserted into the nose gear tube in the frame and was retained by a single bolt.  The forged spring was a tapering rod that was curved forward and then  back down in a kind of S shape and had a castoring wheel assembly.  It worked very well, was strong and very easy to land with.  Mine also had the Avid main gear that was made for the nose wheel.  It was totally different than the tail dragger gear; it was shorter and placed the gear approximately in the middle of the triangle frame.  I attached some pictues of mine so you can see what it looked like.

I have heard people say you can use the tail dragger gear by turning it backwards and switching sides but I don't know how well that works.  It would not place the main wheels in the same place, as they would be farthur back than with the location on the tricycle main gear.  It might work though.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.  There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpfull members on here and I learn new things all the time.

Randy

post-75-0-49203600-1371833706_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-88779700-1371833748_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-20952300-1371833879_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-24068100-1371833954_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-27313600-1371834042_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

Welcome to the forum...what is this nose wheel thingy you speak of? :welcome:

1 person likes this

Posted

g should not be too much of an issue for you if you get the new peddles from mikesk on here.  i can be stopped and turned around  100'  without getting on the brakes too hard.  I think chrisb on here had a custom nose gear made for his plane.

Welcome aboard here we hope you enjoy it.  Post up pics of your new ride

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum...what is this nose wheel thingy you speak of? :welcome:

Joey,

That "thingy" is the black, round thing that you bolted to the tail for extra weight - If you had put it in the front, you wouldn't need that extra weight to keep the tail down when braking !!!! :lol:

If I remember my history, about 100 years ago they discovered that if you put the CG in front of the mains, you don't have to fight to keep the little thingy on the tail from trying to swerve around and become the front end? ;>))

Welcome aboard Amie, and don't be intimidated by our good-natured ribbing......

Some of us even like the "chain-saw" drivers! :lol:

"It doesn't matter how your plane was built - just how well you can fly it." author unknown.

ED "nose-dragger" in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Jolly Good Show Amie - Sounds like you will fit right in with this Avid Bunch.

Now, if we can just get Joey to post a photo of the "thingy" on his C5, we will all be happy! :lol:

EDMO

Posted

Personally, I don't want to know anything about Joey's "thingy".  He can keep it to himself...

Posted

Joey, where ever you are - better post that C5 "thingy" photo, before this gets worse!

You started this! I am trying to give you a reprieve.....

ED