Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing stands for perminant wingtips ?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm trying to figure out how to stand my wings on edge for painting but not to sure how to do it. I've seen the typical wing stands that attach at the spars but I have the original fixed avid tips so no way to attach them to the tip end. so far I'm thinking about using the standard stand on the root end and using something to hold on by the lift strut brackets. possibly using the actual lift strut or hang the lift strut bracket from a rope? just curious what others have done with these types of wings. pics would be great

-Robert-

Posted

I just hung mine from the ceiling in the garage using the flaperon bolt holes. Just make sure that your giving it a straight pull so you don't tweak them

:BC:

Posted

KISS KISS I like it, I'm using a portable car port frame covered in clear plastic so I can just hang it from the frame, Did you have any problems with the wing wanting to sway or move around?

Posted

lay them flat    you won't get runs

Posted (edited)

Robert,

On the Airdale #1 build, we had holes in the tips for the position lights, like I think you have - you can go thru this hole and attach a rope to the tubing to support that end. Maybe a good addition would be to slip a short pvc pipe over the rope where it comes out the p-light hole to keep the rope off of the paint.

We also added, before covering, a pvc tube that angled back from that hole to the tip rib braces, and installed a permanent rope thru it and tied to them and we could stuff it back into the tube when not hanging the wings.

Hope this makes sense, if not, let me know.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri