Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel Tanks

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Next Question

we are getting close with this.

I was checking out the fuel system,  noticed it has fiberglass tanks. I have heard some horror stories about fibeglass tanks and ethanol mogas. anyone know if the KF3 fuel tanks are OK with current mogas ?

KF3 tw 912ul

fastjoe

Posted

I can about guarantee that Kitfox III tanks are NOT okay with alcohol contaminated gasoline.

Is uncontaminated fuel still available where you live?  (Why not do an introduction post in the intro forum?)

Posted

I can about guarantee that Kitfox III tanks are NOT okay with alcohol contaminated gasoline.

Is uncontaminated fuel still available where you live?  (Why not do an introduction post in the intro forum?)

I absolutely agree - I have the old tanks, and will not use ethanol in them - Kitfox later went to a different epoxy that is supposed to be moonshine proof. Two good sources for non-alcohol gas are farmers and marinas - depending on where you live. There is also a site that gives you the sellers of non-ethanol gas.

EDMO

Posted

1100 gallons of Ethanol through my 1990 tanks.... I premix though and keep the fuel circulating. I add a fresh 5 gallon can every time I fly which is at least once a week.

Posted

1100 gallons of Ethanol through my 1990 tanks.... I premix though and keep the fuel circulating. I add a fresh 5 gallon can every time I fly which is at least once a week.

Possible that pre-mix oil is what saved your tanks - 4 cycles don't seem to like oily gas and carbon buildup.

EDMO

Posted

post-56-0-00033700-1372730011_thumb.jpgI never used a drop of Ethanol in mine and they still rotted out.

Posted

I'm a little over a year in on my 1990 Model III tanks using only Ethanol free gas I ferry from WI, about 25 mi away. No issues so far.

Posted

Possible that pre-mix oil is what saved your tanks - 4 cycles don't seem to like oily gas and carbon buildup.

EDMO

I was just being a smart ass Ed...Had to throw out my 2 cents. My theory is the oil in the tanks does help. This topic comes up all the time and people swear you can't run mogas in these tanks. I would't dare let straight ethanol fuel sit in there for any period of time but there are exceptions to every rule. As far as 4 cycles go I run mixed gas all the time in my lawn mower and the weedwhacker runs like a raped ape on Avgas...smells good too :P

Posted

I sloshed my KFIII tanks with the Hirsch product from ACS.  So far so good after about three years.  I try any find the lowest ethanol % gas in the area but I'm sure it's at least 5%.  Coming up on three years now and no problems. (yet!) 

E.G.

KFIII 912

Posted (edited)

I was just being a smart ass Ed...Had to throw out my 2 cents. My theory is the oil in the tanks does help. This topic comes up all the time and people swear you can't run mogas in these tanks. I would't dare let straight ethanol fuel sit in there for any period of time but there are exceptions to every rule. As far as 4 cycles go I run mixed gas all the time in my lawn mower and the weedwhacker runs like a raped ape on Avgas...smells good too :P

Wonder if Castor Oil in the tanks would work - That really used to smell good when flying model planes - and the old-timers actually flew big planes with it. Oh, maybe the gov wont let us grow those beans anymore since some fool grinds them into powder and sends it in letters to the poly-tikians who have driven up the gas prices and put moonshine in it?

If we could figure out which of those high-dollar, oily, smell-good concoctions that our wives buy and throw away when a new scent becomes popular, we could have safe tanks and smell-good exhausts forever!

Good Flying

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

another option if you're concerned would be to just remove the ethanol from the gas its not that difficult to do just a takes a little time

Posted

another option if you're concerned would be to just remove the ethanol from the gas its not that difficult to do just a takes a little time

I tried that twice, but my still blew up both times! :lol:

ED

1 person likes this

Posted

attachicon.gifn 001.JPGI never used a drop of Ethanol in mine and they still rotted out.

Could the abundant mosquito feces have anything to do with that? :lol:

Guess not, otherwise there would be no tanks left in Alaska or Lousyanna......

EDMO

Posted

I tried that twice, but my still blew up both times! :lol:

ED

sorry Ed you must be confused we were talking about cleaning up the fuel for his plane not your bootlegger operation out back... third times a charm don't give up

Posted (edited)

sorry Ed you must be confused we were talking about cleaning up the fuel for his plane not your bootlegger operation out back... third times a charm don't give up

I thought the two of them would be a joint enterprise! King O wants us to go green - so I figured fuel for the plane and fuel for me? (Conservation of energies)!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I thought the two of them would be a joint enterprise! King O wants us to go green - so I figured fuel for the plane and fuel for me? (Conservation of energies)!

EDMO

Great, so now I have to change your name to ECO ED in MO :dunno:  :lmao:

On a serious note, when you strip the moonshine from the mogas, how the heck do you know what your octane rating is NOW and what octane boost are you going to put back into it to keep your engine from going knock knock boom?

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Great, so now I have to change your name to ECO ED in MO :dunno:  :lmao:

On a serious note, when you strip the moonshine from the mogas, how the heck do you know what your octane rating is NOW and what octane boost are you going to put back into it to keep your engine from going knock knock boom?

:BC:

That is a good question Leni - Is there a serious chemical engineer (petroleum) that could answer that - The octane rating should change without the alcohol. I would prefer not to find out the hard way. I was kidding about drinking the residue - The gov puts poison into the alcohol before adding it to the gas, so you cant drink it - They would rather have you dead than dead-drunk or happy!

Sure hope for a good corn crop this year! Beef getting to high!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri