Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Possible belly radiator source

20 posts in this topic

Posted

I was given this company name by a friend of mine. He said that they used to be the supplier for Kitfox 582 and 618 that Kitfox used in their kits back in the day. The 618 one is bigger and supposedly worked better. Can someone call these guys and see if they are even still around and inquire about those radiators?? I am still overseas. It would be nice to find a source for these besides the $300 aluminum ones on Fleabay.

United Radiator Svc

222 S 6th Ave, Caldwell, ID 83605 »
(208) 459-4522

Posted

Radiators are still listed in the Kitfox parts catalog. They list a regular and an oversize. Not sure if they are still made by this company but they are right at $300 also. I checked with a couple of other custom aluminum radiator businesses and got quotes of $500 and $700 to build similar aluminum radiator. I will try to call the number above if I get a chance this week.

Dan

Posted (edited)

Joey,

Check out your local junkyard - I believe my Soob rad is from a VW Rabbit - If it cools my 1800 cc engine, then it should cool the 582 - It is larger than the rad for my 532 - I can give you sizes for both if you want them - there may be some other cheap rads in the salvage yard that would work too. A local rad shop might be able to give you some auto rad sizes too.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I already have a custom built radiator but this topic comes up frequently so I was hoping to help out guys in the future. I just heard that Murle Williams sells nice ones too.

Posted

OK - Nice vs Cheap!

EDMO

Posted

OK - Nice vs Cheap!

EDMO

I sent an email to Murle. His are aluminum and supposed to be half the weight of the factory ones and run 20 degrees cooler. I'm sure they are a pretty penny though. I'll post up the price when I get the reply back from his email. I had heard of him before but didn't realize he sold lots of parts too. His website is www.murlewilliamsaviation.com My main goal is to shave weight off the nose of my plane. The radiator I have is pretty stout and it's starting to show it's age. It came with the FWF that I bought from a guy in Southern California.

Posted

Just checking in to see if we ever came up with the consensus on where the best bang for the buck is on radiators. Im looking to buy one soon as I'm planning to finally be in the air in the next couple months :)

-Robert-

Posted (edited)

I think Joey had an aluminum belly rad for the 582 - maker spotted in California?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I contacted a local radiator shop yesterday to see if they could fab one up hope to hear back today about pricing.

Posted

I was given this company name by a friend of mine. He said that they used to be the supplier for Kitfox 582 and 618 that Kitfox used in their kits back in the day. The 618 one is bigger and supposedly worked better. Can someone call these guys and see if they are even still around and inquire about those radiators?? I am still overseas. It would be nice to find a source for these besides the $300 aluminum ones on Fleabay.

United Radiator Svc

222 S 6th Ave, Caldwell, ID 83605 »
(208) 459-4522

I called these folks this morning. The present owner will not build aircraft radiators anymore. However, they will build you a "go-kart" radiator *wink-wink*.  Someone there still has the plans for the belly mount and the dual cowl mount.

They don't do aluminum. All are copper and brass. And yes, the made in china aluminum affairs are not reliable I learned.

The materials are expensive. I'm looking at around $700 if I were to purchase some original MkIV spec cowl mount. The belly would be a little less. Tony, the fellow I chatted has built a few of those the last few years.

They're willing to rebuild cores provided they're rebuildable. I'm likely going to send him detailed pics of my old ones I've already posted on the board to see if he will or not.

You can email them at unitedradiator@hotmail.com.  Be sure to put "go-kart" radiators in the subject line. Call or email, just make sure your talking go-karts not Avids or Kitfoxes --:)

The other option I found is http://www.griffinrad.com/.  Hit the red bar at the bottom of the page. There's a custom build page you can submit for a quote.

Posted (edited)

I would like to see Griffin's price - they do all aluminum.  I believe 12 fins per inch is what you want, and I can check the size for the Soob if someone wants it -  about 9 x 16 x 2.25 inches thick should do the job, or a little wider and only 1 1/2 inches thick.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I saw an aluminum heater core out of a 2002-ish Grand Cherokee the other day.  It looked like it had four rows and was decent size for a cheek style mount.  It would need the inlet and outlet pipes reworked, though...

Link

Posted (edited)

From what I have read in conversion books, the heater cores just don't cool the water as well as radiators - the GM/Chevy AC (evaporators?)(condensers?) not the one in front of the radiator, will make good cheek rads, but not the Ford ones.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I would like to see Griffin's price - they do all aluminum.  I believe 12 fins per inch is what you want, and I can check the size for the Soob if someone wants it -  about 9 x 16 x 2.25 inches thick should do the job, or a little wider and only 1 1/2 inches thick.

EDMO

I just faxed a template to Griffin requesting a quote for 2ea 10"x7.5" "go-kart" rads. I'll post up after they respond.

Ed, sounds to me unless you source a m/c rad to fit your application, you're looking at a custom build.  What m/c rads have you looked at? The Suzuki Vstrom and SV650 rads are in the dimenstional range you're seeking. They also have plenty of bracketry and there's 2 10mm threaded nut inserts on the sides which would make installation a cinch likely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2011-Suzuki-SV650-Radiator-Fan-Assembly-NICE-4046-/310902538246?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48633c4006&vxp=mtr#ht_4331wt_927

Edited by allonsye

Posted (edited)

I haven't seriously looked at the MC rads - I scanned a little for 1500 to 1800 cc twin rads - I am thinking that with my nose gear, I had better keep the weight as far back as I can - I have a belly rad that has worked with this engine on another plane, and could buy an aluminum one if needed.  I'm just mostly joining in to spur on the conversations and ideas.

Thanks,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I've used jap aluminum radiators for yrs, in a salt water environment for yrs on a micro mong,renegade,avid!

Google Honda civic raceing radiators, $56 , for specs

Will work in a fox belly scoop , just cut in half horzintaly add2"

Posted

I had wondered if the Jap, Honda, Kawasaki, Susuki, rads might be better quality than the Chinese ones.

EDMO

Posted

Saps is talking about a Honda Civic automotive racing radiator, not a motorcycle unit.

Posted

Still, made in Japan?

EDMO

Posted

I did a search and found that amazon has the civic aluminum radiator for $49