Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sputzee's new legs

8 posts in this topic

Posted

The Grove gear arrived Monday evening.  Fitted and painted yesterday and assembled today.

First flight scheduled for tomorrow...

post-36-0-68304300-1373512488_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-39173800-1373512520_thumb.jpg

Posted

I like the look on that bird!  did he re-rake the windshield too.  He has the KF IV wing on there right?

:BC:

Posted

Kitfox IV wing, flapperons and mixer.  15" stretch mod on the fuselage.  Home made "wide body" mod.  Kitfox IV molded plexiglass windscreen.  About a million other improvements to the design.

He's bringing it to OSH this year.  (It will be judged in the UL-LSA area weather he knows it or not.  It will get a trophy.)

Posted

Oh, yeah.  The Grove spring is 2-1/2" taller and 3" wider than the standard spring.

My new spring for the Mangy Fox came on monday too and is also taller and wider than the norm.

Posted

Great looking plane!  It appears like that grove gear is raked forward more than what I have seen before.  Maybe it is just an optical illusion or is that the case?

Posted (edited)

No, you see correct.  The tires are 3-4" forward from the old gear.

I flew the plane tonight.  It gained an easy 5-8 mph in cruise due to decrease in drag from all the springs and struts of the old gear.  Dave put 3-4 hours on it today.  He says it is a totally different handling plane on the ground and in transition.  The track is 78" wide now!!

He's mad he didn't go this way from the start.  He loved they way my plane worked with the Grove spring.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

What width / thickness / GW is your new gear? Looks great!

I was wondering about the forward rake too - One photo looked normal, the other forward.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It is similar to the standard Avid Mk4 gear that Grove has on their website.  It is modified in that it is 3" wider and 2-1/2" taller than normal.

Dave's plane operates on a MTOW of 1320#, the spring has a gross of 1250#.