Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Naked Avid

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Am finally ready to cover my avid mk4. I am thinking about covering all flying surface and passenger compartment, leaving rear of fuse exposed. Seems to be pros and cons on this. Do not think as slow as the plane is that there will be to much drag, looks good, and might, I stress might help with crosswind. Be easy enough to finish covering if does not work out. Will only be used for low and slow, have Cherokee 180 to travel.

Any comments, have thick skin so anything is ok.

Posted

Greg Miller did it on his insanely modified Super Cub. Not quite sure why you would though. Is the only benefit your shooting for is you like the look?

Posted

It is gonna save you a few pounds of covering, but greg still got his ass handed to him by Paul in a stock cub the year he brought it up here... Max performance out of the plane is best gotten by putting gas in the tanks and buring it.

:BC:

Posted

shit, buring the gas through the tanks as in by flying it, not by buring the plane to the ground :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Just liked the look. If does not work out is easy enough to finish covering. Was really looking for any experience someone had flying one. Used to fly a quicksilver, think it might be similar. I guess I will give a report if I ever get done.

Posted

I have a buddy who did this with a ridge runner.

The weight loss is minimal and the drag is great...

1 person likes this

Posted

Could you give him my email address and have him contact me. Part of the reason I am doing this is for our local EAA young eagles program. We are trying to have a demonstration aircraft for shows, parades and education. Thought that actually seeing how an airplane's control works might attract some interest. Wow factor is important for this kind of thing.

Posted

Pm me your email