Floor board

17 posts in this topic

Posted

What is the best material for floorboard for cabin. Only need 34x15 (oversize). Aluminum or wood.

Thanks

Posted

Mine is thin wood. Not sure what type it is it was in it when I got the plane. It's in 3 different pieces with the seams running nose to tail. I varnishe it to make it purty.

Posted

I found some .025 embossed aluminum - looks shiny like alclad treadplate - at my local yard - probably will paint it to keep down glare.

EDMO

Posted

Avid and Kitfox supplied 1/8" plywood with their kits. Just did some checking in the ACS catalog, and 2'X4'X1/8" plywood weighs about 3.5 lbs. Same size piece of aluminum is 14 lbs. 1/16" thick aluminum would probably be okey, but it would still be twice as heavy as the 1/8" plywood. Jim Chuk

Posted

Thanks,

I guess it is 1/8 marine ply. Thanks for the pics, that is not what I had in my head, looks easier and better. Always learn from others,saves lots of work.

Posted

Check with any specialty lumber yards or craft shops out your way. They usually have the marine ply for cheaper than having sheet deiivered.

Posted

Here's a pic of mine from way back in the early days. I've always wished I had my leg room. Do my rudder pedals look quite a ways forward compared to your guys' planes? I have quite a bit of room behind them.

IMG_3459.jpg

Posted

I took out my wood floor boards and only use the bottom aluminum pan. Gives my size 14 skids more room and lightens up the plane. Joey, those pedals could move forward a good 1 1/2". Bryce

Posted (edited)

I thought about making mine out of Kevlar - for about a minute - then I remembered all my years of doing fiberglass, and quickly bought aluminum ! Lots cheaper too!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Lighter is better; go with carbon fiber foam core if you can afford it.  A friend told me that anytime you are wondering about putting something on your airplane, throw it up in the air.  If it doesn't come down then it is good to put on your plane.

Posted

Lighter is better; go with carbon fiber foam core if you can afford it.  A friend told me that anytime you are wondering about putting something on your airplane, throw it up in the air.  If it doesn't come down then it is good to put on your plane.

I tried that test with my wife - Couldn't even get her feet off of the ground.. :lol:

ED

2 people like this

Posted

I tried that test with my wife - Couldn't even get her feet off of the ground.. :lol:

ED

guess you will be flying alone then

Posted

guess you will be flying alone then

The nice part of flying alone is that I can go farther - Leaves room for 400 pounds of fuel... :lol:

ED

Posted

I am thinking about installing a single piece of aluminum from the firewall to behind the seat with the cut outs for the bungee cords. This would seem to solve the jigsaw floor board at the same time as giving some support for my feet.

Any thoughts. Do not think I need inside floor boards. Can cover with something waterproof.

Posted

Sounds like a good idea. I'd weld on tabs to mount it to rather than adel clamps, though. You will want to mount it with screws so that you can open it to access torque tube or rudder bar mounts.

Posted

Good thought, I think I will cut out some rubber floor mats and lay on top of them for wear.