Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tire size

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Have any of you tried the 21 inch dresser tire for the 6 inch rim. Will be installing the Matco pneumatic tailwheel so I will probably need the extra height on the mains. Since the strip at our airport is blacktop I will probably be using a 20 acre graded gravel area beside the strip for landing ant take off. Pretty smooth but some flotation can't hurt.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Posted

John Miller from the Avid group runs them. They just look smaller than the Nanco's are def are not as wide and I'm sure they don't float as well over rough stuff. If your just looking to be safer landing on grass, gravel, dirt roads, etc they would be much better than an 800 I think. Here they are side by side. This shows a good comparison too of how much height you pick up with the Airdale Bush Gear over the stock gear. If you haven't already gotten your Matco TW yet shell out a few extra bucks and get the dual fork it's shorter than the single arm version in vertical height you gain from the bigger tire. What size are you going with? The 7" tire and tube set up is garbage don't waste your time. I wasted a few hundred bucks doing that when I should of went straight to the 8" one.

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

Posted

I've been running the Aero-Classics 8.00 x 6 x 21 tires for a couple years now and love them.

Plenty big for what I need. I'll be running them tubeless on grove wheels on my mangy fox project.

Posted

Thanks for the advice on the tailwheel. Will be sure to order dual fork 8 inch, not that much more. I will look at the aero classics also. Best place to buy aero classics? Spruce seems to be ok for tailwheel. I am assuming I will need to make new cables for the tailwheel. Are you running the dual spring rear tailwheel mount?

Posted

I also swapped out the narrow 6" AeroTrainer tires on my 4-1200 for the Aero-Classics 8.00 x 6 x 21 tires. No complaints here. I bought tires and tubes direct from Desser, free shipping and tire talc.

post-53-0-71328900-1374178580_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-70976600-1374178581_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-73671800-1374178582_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-59935200-1374178583_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-35460500-1374178584_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-31271800-1374178585_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-14473300-1374178586_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-34817800-1374178680_thumb.jpg

Posted

we are men, bigger is always better right??  :lmao:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Cartoonish million dollar aktires are 90% for posers compensating for something else lacking in their lives...

Just look at the doofuses over on BCP.

post-36-0-90312600-1374189756_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Cartoonish million dollar aktires are 90% for posers compensating for something else lacking in their lives...

Just look at the doofuses over on BCP.

Sending this from the home origin of BIG FOOT, and the beginning of monster truck tires, I don't think it means we are missing anything! It opened up a lot of new opportunities for some of us young ones! Maybe others are "missing something"! Ha! Oh, you were talking about the Alaska Cubs that the FAA had to put a limit on tire height? :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I will agree on the bushwheels to an extent... 90% of those who have them, do not use them for the intended purpose.  Landing on 2000' grass strips are not what they are meant to do.  I can tell you first hand, there is a huge difference on river rock landings with 26, 29 and 31" bushwheels.  I have not flown 35" tires yet, but I they say the difference is as much going from 31 to 35 as it was from 29-31.  If I was really working the plane, there is NO substitute for the big tires.  That said, I would not go bigger than the 26" on the avid.  That is the perfect tire for us guys who do play off the beaten path with them.  I would also venture to say that alot of the bent up gear and fueselages would not have happend if they had the 26" tires beacuse, yes, they DO soak up the bumps that damn good :lol:

You got into the whiskey again??  :lmao:  That truck caption is FN hillarious!  and true!  KInda like my buddy says that owns a jewlery shop.. When guy come in to buy rings for the wives/GF it pretty much holds true, the bigger the diamond, the littler the dick :lol:

Posted

And some are just used to EVERTHING being bigger! :lol:

EDMO

Posted

I drive a VW....   :french11:

Posted

we are men, bigger is always better right??  :lmao:

Not limited to men. Don't you recall that old diddly that goes something like this:

We must

We must

We must increase our bust

The bigger the better

The tighter the sweater

The boys depend on us

:-)

P.S. - well I ain't buying it Larry. Last time I saw you, you were driving a big honkin' diesel pickup... and a manual shift Cummins, if there's something to be inferred from that!?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

John Miller from the Avid group runs them. They just look smaller than the Nanco's are def are not as wide and I'm sure they don't float as well over rough stuff. If your just looking to be safer landing on grass, gravel, dirt roads, etc they would be much better than an 800 I think. Here they are side by side. This shows a good comparison too of how much height you pick up with the Airdale Bush Gear over the stock gear. If you haven't already gotten your Matco TW yet shell out a few extra bucks and get the dual fork it's shorter than the single arm version in vertical height you gain from the bigger tire. What size are you going with? The 7" tire and tube set up is garbage don't waste your time. I wasted a few hundred bucks doing that when I should of went straight to the 8" one.

Joey,

I had to take a second look at your photos - Did not catch that you're comparing 6 inch tires to 8 inch - Guess to go off-road I have to buy new 8 inch wheels after selling mine?

Are you comparing Desser tire with McCreary both on the 6 inch wheels, or different wheels? - How much weight difference on the 6 inch, and how much better? Sorry, I got confused. Do they make a light-weight 8.50 x 6 ?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

That's what I am referring to. The 800 x 6 x 21 is basically a very light 850. A little narrower and a little taller, but much lighter.

Again I switched to Grove, wheels, brakes and gear, along with these 21" tires and the plane only gained 12#.

Posted

Larry was caught on film!!  :lol:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

That's what I am referring to. The 800 x 6 x 21 is basically a very light 850. A little narrower and a little taller, but much lighter.

Again I switched to Grove, wheels, brakes and gear, along with these 21" tires and the plane only gained 12#.

OK - Think I finally got the message. Nose-draggers can be a pain when changing tire sizes - either the tail is down with small mains, or the tail is sky-high and the prop is down with large ones - got to plan ahead for that.

Thanx,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri