Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gross weight of an Avid float plane

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I have just completed converting my Mk 4 Avid to straight Aerocet 1100 floats.

The complete weight is 709 lbs, with a gross of 1150 lbs. That doesn't allow much for a passenger with full tanks, say about 58 lbs, (It gained 100 lb after the conversion)

Are any of you flying a similar package? What weights did you get?

I am running a 618 Rotax and minimal accessories, can't see how you could have a 4-stroke and amphibs and be legal at all.

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

post-642-0-26111500-1374589542_thumb.jpg

Posted

Legal??  There is no "gross weight" on an experimental in the US... There may be a manufactures recommended weight, but there is no "gross" weight.  don't forget, we normally get a 100# allowance when you put the floats on the plane.   Example, a stock PA-12 goes from a 1980 gross on wheels to 2080 on floats.  I think a lot has to do with the fuse taking the landing loads.  They are more spread out on floats versus on wheels.

I have flown my Avid at... umm... ahhh... full load.. as long as I can get it off the water and still climb, I am good to go :lol:

The floats looks great on your plane!  Can you tell me where you set the CG of the plane in relationship to the step on the floats.  And what AOA did you set the wing at?

Thanks

:BC:

Posted

The step is 4" aft of the aft C of G, and the wing is 6 degrees + to the top of the floats. Add 8 degrees for the float stems and you get 14 degrees available for take off.

It should be OK, I have watched a few Avids taking off of water and they all look like they need more + incidence.

Posted

I agree due  to the wash out in the wings.  You can cross the line though and if you get too much, they try to drag you out of the air and the climb / cruise really suffer!

Mine is set 5" aft of CG, but I think I am going to move them another inch or two for those days that I may add a bit more to the baggage area :lol:

:BC:

Posted

How does that 618 work out for you compared to the 582.

Posted

So far, just fine. Use synthetic oil so the RAVE valves don't stick and all is OK. (Made stainless RAVE slides) I think these engines got a bad rap for no good reason. Never had a 582 to compare. I completely rebuilt it myself, been an outboard mechanic most of my life.

Posted

I agree! They would not have sold gobs of them if they had that many issues. What ratio are you mixing at? I've been running the Amsoil Saber Pro at 100:1 (premix no injection) for close to 300 hours now. I'm thinking about going to Amsoil Interceptor though at 50:1. The only problem is my 40 hour cross country trips where I'd have to carry twice as much oil with me. Just worried about the bottom end not getting enough oil even though I know several guys that have gone well past TBO using 100:1. NIce looking Avid!

Posted

If you get ramp-checked, how would they ever weigh a plane on floats? floating scales? :lol:

EDMO