Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Crash Lone Pine California

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My Son was first responder to a plane crash in Lone Pine California.  All 5 got out before the plane burned thankfully.

post-526-0-14558100-1375306170_thumb.jpg

post-526-0-96725000-1375306269_thumb.jpg

post-526-0-10183400-1375717750_thumb.jpg

Edited by AVID STOL HH

Posted

I can't even tell the make/model.

Glad they all made it

Posted

Engine out off field landing?

Posted

A group of Southern Californians flying from the Mammoth Yosemite Airport toward Southern California escaped serious injury Sunday, July 28, when the engine on their single engine Bonanza airplane failed about 500 feet in the air near Lone Pine and the pilot had to make a crash landing.

According to the Inyo County Sheriff's Department, "on Sunday, July 28, at approximately 12:45 p.m., a Southern California pilot, Sohail Simjee, departed from the Mammoth Yosemite Airport in a Bonanza single engine airplane heading southbound to Orange County.

"Due to weather concerns, Simjee landed at the Lone Pine airport, rather than continuing his journey. Shortly after 3 p.m., Simjee attempted to fly out and resume his trip south.

"While ascending to about 500 feet, the engine failed and Simjee had to make an emergency landing in a field just south of S.R. 136.

"The plane was carrying four passengers; all four were transported to Southern Inyo Hospital for minor injuries."

Posted

Fuel selector off?

Posted

Happens a lot. A buddy if mine just had to repair an RV-7 wing for a fellow who took off with the fuel set to off in Virginia. Engine quit at 300 ft agl, he managed to get it turned around and on the runway but drug the wing pretty badly on the Tarmac. Most people would not have been so lucky at 300ft

Posted (edited)

I have always thought that if the runway was suitable to immediately start a drift to left or right of runway so that is something did happen a guy could turn out and land.  I know in practice with my CFI that a straight out departure and low altitude makes it almost impossible to do a 180 and land without stalling the plane.

Edited by AVID STOL HH

Posted

Tragic reminder of the impossible turn

Posted

wow that is so unfortunate.  that turn never should have been attempted.  wing walking is some serious stuff

Posted

I have always thought that if the runway was suitable to immediately start a drift to left or right of runway so that is something did happen a guy could turn out and land.  I know in practice with my CFI that a straight out departure and low altitude makes it almost impossible to do a 180 and land without stalling the plane.

Interesting! I'd never heard of this or thought of as a emergency strategy where practical.  Anyone else?

Posted

I remember my CFI drilling me on almost every take-off, push the nose down and  land straight ahead if you are below 500 AGL with a power failure.  The accelerated stall caused by the turn is a unforgiving killer.

1 person likes this

Posted

It depends on the plane... I would not try a 180 turn under 500' in say a 182.  But I would not think twice about doing it in my Avid.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Agreed.  In my KF, I practiced 300' engine out 180's and felt like there was reasonable margin.   Really pushing it below that though.