Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AK 670 Powered Kitfox on Barnstormers

72 posts in this topic

Posted

on one of my phantoms I had a 503 free air DCDI with a tuned pipe,..can't remember the name of the pipe but man that thing would snap you back and hang on the prop if you wanted ,..if your into aerobatics without worry of your ship coming apart..the phantom is a great platform

Posted

akflyer what ecm are you using on your 800?

thanks Bob

Posted

Ed, I got a picture a couple days ago of the almost completed adapter plate for the 800. As soon as Dave completes that and gets the fly wheel machined, I can start the engine mount and exhaust mods.

akflyer

what engine are you talking about I might have ask this before.....I don't remember.... I have been looking at the Arctic cat engines.they have a Suzuki engine that they came out about 2010 I believe it  is a cf 800 ho engine the later engines has 2 plugs per cylinder it is fuel injected with an ecu the engine looks real promising if I was to use this engine I would have to go the route that you are doing making an adapter plate  and dealing with taper on the crankshaft but I believe that it would be worth it because  the engine is still in production and you can get parts for it.There is a girl on the gyro site that is using a arctic cat 500 on her gyro and it seems pretty impressive the engine she is using has a smaller crankshaft I believe it is a 30 mm taper similar to the rotax sized crankshaft are you keeping notes on what you are doing to fit the gearbox up?

thanks Bob

Bob / Tbucket - I know what Leni is talking about - But have no clue about what you are writing about - Are you sending that to another ED?

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Bob / Tbucket - I know what Leni is talking about - But have no clue about what you are writing about - Are you sending that to another ED?

EDMO

I was talking about a guy on the rotary wing forum that had put an arctic cat  engine on her gyro and used a rotax b gearbox on it I think Leni is doing basically the same thing putting a rotax c gearbox on a latter arctic cat 800 engine I am considering doing this but with the earlier arctic cat zr 600 engine sorry for the confusion I am interested in the adapter plate that he is having made and what ecm {engine control unit for the fuel injection} he is using by the way how are you doing today?

Edited by tbucket

Posted

akflyer what ecm are you using on your 800?

thanks Bob

I am using the stock ECM and CCU.  We worked with the cat factory a few years ago and got the fuel map dialed in for our clean fuel etc. so it has been re-flashed and the map really is spot on. 

In looking at the pictures, I am not so sure that is a girl on Rotary wing!  If so, she will give our Kodiak Buffalo women a run for their money!

I thought many times about using one of my FI 600 engines, but at the end of the day, we have had too many issues with them.  The 800 is a dual plug engine that has good SMOOTH low end grunt and is very happy all day long running in the 6000-6800 RPM range.  If I run it the way I run a 582, I am looking at 112-118 HP at take off and double the TQ of the 582.  If I want to run it to 7800-7900 I can pull 140 HP easily on take off.

The 600 does not make crap for power till it hits 8000+ RPM.  my sleds are set up for CC racing and if I take them into the mountains its a bitch cause they wont hold the RPM.  The second that engine falls below 78-7900 I better be turning out and headed back down hill..  I hate having to turn out because I cant keep the track spinning :lol:

At the end of the day, you may get a 600 to give you SOME time in the air, but I dont think it will hold up to the constant use.  The 06-09 800 engines have been absolutely bullet proof with ZERO issues of customers bringing them into the shop for ENGINE repairs... There have been plenty of chassis repairs, but nothing Engine or Stator related at any of the Cat shops I deal with or have contacted.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

[i am using the stock ECM and CCU.  We worked with the cat factory a few years ago and got the fuel map dialed in for our clean fuel etc. so it has been re-flashed and the map really is spot on]

thanks for the reply.... very good info. I don't have a lot of experience with.2 strokes so this is good for me to know I had looked at the latter model engine and thought that it was a better engine. does this engine power the fuel injection from the stator coils or are they powered from a battery?

how are you coming along on adapting the gearbox on?

thanks Bob

Posted

Everything on the engine and EFI is batteryless.  I have not heard lately how the machine work is coming, but I will drop him a line today.

Posted (edited)

Everything on the engine and EFI is batteryless.  I have not heard lately how the machine work is coming, but I will drop him a line today.

thanks....

Bob

Edited by tbucket

Posted

I was talking about a girl on the rotary wing forum that had put an arctic cat  engine on her gyro and used a rotax b gearbox on it I think Leni is doing basically the same thing putting a rotax c gearbox on a latter arctic cat 800 engine I am considering doing this but with the earlier arctic cat zr 600 engine sorry for the confusion I am interested in the adapter plate that he is having made and what ecm {engine control unit for the fuel injection} he is using by the way how are you doing today?

Thanks for asking - doing about as well as any feeble-minded, abused-body, grumpy old man, with aches and pains from past sins, and another year behind on building because of torn rotary cuff! :lol:

Didn't know the "girl" on the RW was named ED? Did I forget to take my memory pill this morning?

EDMO

Posted

Thanks for asking - doing about as well as any feeble-minded, abused-body, grumpy old man, with aches and pains from past sins, and another year behind on building because of torn rotary cuff! :lol:

Didn't know the "girl" on the RW was named ED? Did I forget to take my memory pill this morning?

EDMO

Me thinks you got lost in the conversation somehow :lol:  you get into the Budweiser again lastnight???  hahahaha

The "girl" referred to on "RW" was the person in the link that was posted to the rotary wing forum who put the Arctic cat 600 in the gyro...  But I dont think its a girl over there... :lmao:

Posted

Me thinks you got lost in the conversation somehow :lol:  you get into the Budweiser again lastnight???  hahahaha

The "girl" referred to on "RW" was the person in the link that was posted to the rotary wing forum who put the Arctic cat 600 in the gyro...  But I dont think its a girl over there... :lmao:

Now I am totally confused - Thought the link was to a "diesel engine" - Are the 600 and 800 gas or diesel? I thought he had come up with an automobile diesel for our planes.......Now, where are those missing memory pills I forgot to take?

EDMO

Posted

Now I am totally confused - Thought the link was to a "diesel engine" - Are the 600 and 800 gas or diesel? I thought he had come up with an automobile diesel for our planes.......Now, where are those missing memory pills I forgot to take?

EDMO

At the top of page 3 is the link to the rotary forum... thats the one you seem to be missing out on :lol:  They are GAS.

Posted

Just had a rotary wing gyro crash at Festus, Missouri, airport - Pilot-Father 52, and son (30?) - not fatal - no reason and no engine given yet.

EDMO

Posted

lol..... great since of humor.... can't love with out it.....

Posted

lol..... great since of humor.... can't love with out it.....

I had tried to pull up that post on the Rotary Forum some time ago, but was looking for the mythical diesel auto engine conversion - I get lost between the garage and the house, and they are connected!

:lol:

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

So........is a concensus been arrived at on this engine in the Avid -- needs more time and trial?

Cons:

• Questionable of RAVE valve reliability operating in upside down configuration
  • Space issues w/appropriate/new exhaust system

Pros:

• Essentially a 582 with 15 more hp.
  • Longer TBO if run aT lower rpm settings. (450 hrs - based on Rotax 1500g of fuel burn formula).
  • Cruise at lower rpm than 582

I was interested in this engine but I'm not interested in install headaches nor RAVE issues.  Not worth the price of admission as someone else said.

I was hoping Marv would check in/contribute on this since he has one and had some overheating issues.

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/2933-over-heating-on-rotax-670/

Rich Mendler was pursuing this until he bailed and sold his KF last year.

Joey, weren't you thinking about the 670 but went with a Rotax Rick 582 build instead.

P.

Posted

Yes but after many discussions with folks who have been doing this far longer than me I realized I would rather fly and have a reliable engine than screw around with the 670. I am sure takeoff and climb would be awesome but in the grand scheme of things that's a very small chunk of your overall flght. I am not buying the longer tbo time due to lower power settings theory. That's like putting a 500hp engine in your muscle car and saying I get 15 mpg because I never rev the engine above 2500rpm. I am not gonna spend 6k and countless hours of work to cruise at the same speed.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Wait until Leni is ready to ship a 800 engine, then you can have VTOL and lightspeed....Maybe go to Valdez and Win!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Good feedback here.

I'm w/you on this Joey.  I recall an expression something like "the flame that burn the brightest, burns the fastest".

I think I'm going to go w/the RR gray 582 rebuild for reliability sake.   Though I must say Rick really loves that 670 and pushing it.

Posted

Ed,

That is providing that I get off my ass and get the damn thing done... I am tired of tripping over it in the garage though and I do have the Avid at the house now so maybe I will get moving on it again when I get home in 3 weeks.

Posted

If that was a 4-cycle, I would be on your ass more to get it finished - I really hope you have a winner 2-stroke.

EDMO

Posted

From what I understand the rave valve opens just at or over 6,500 rpm.

The mixture control (HACMan) does NOT work with the 670, has something to do with the RAVE valve.

Greensky and Rotax Rick confirmed this for me

I am using the NavMan 2100 as a fuel totalizer/flow gauge. It gives me total fuel, fuel burned per trip, total fuel burned and a very accurate flow rate. It also allowed me to install 2 external warning led's. One comes on in the event of a fuel line blockage and the other tells me when to turn my fuel pump on when my wing tank is almost empty. It works quite well.

My idling fuel burn used to be 1.5 GPH at 3,000RPM. I recently installed an AirTech RK400 clutch and my fuel burn dropped to 0.2 GPH at 1,500RPM. That's a big difference if your stuck behind some traffic on departure.

If I do not switch to the rotax 670 then I am going to add another wing tank and eliminate the tanks behind the seat. My airplane simply does not have the endurance to take me anywhere right now. With 15 gallons of usable fuel and 6gph fuel burn your options are limited

Or I can throttle back and deal with a 70-75 MPH cruise

I know it's been forever since you posted this. But that is exactly why I hope you still monitor this thread.

Unless I'm wrong (been at least 10 minutes since that's happened), Rotax Rick has a temperature control process required for warming up 2 strokes to keep the piston from cold seizing.  That requires idling under load at 4500 RPM before takeoff.

https://rotaxrick.wordpress.com/install-break-in/

Since you have been idling at 1500 RPM since 2013, now 2017, have you noticed any engine problems?

What has been your warmup procedure before take-off?