Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I R Student again

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Started my first Embry Riddle Aeronautical University course today after a 10 year Hiatus. My how things have changed. This is my first 100% online course. All of the assignments require you post in a forum much like this one. Glad I have lots of practice at that except now my posts are graded for grameeeeirrrrrrr and stuf. I have no excuse to not get a degree from ERAU where most people can't afford to go to, because the Airforce is paying my tuition. Figured I'd start off easy with just one class this semester called Intro to Aeronautical Sciences. It involves discussion in: the science of flight, safety, security, human factors, aviation resources, the aviation environment, and meteorology. Between 15 years flying experience with the Airforce and my PPL it should be a breeze. I figure I have 5 years left before I can punch with a pension to finish my Bachelors degree and get my Instrument, Commercial, and CFI done..all of which they will pay for I just gotta get off my ass and do it.

Posted

You go Girl! Might not want to post up some of your canyon run videos just yet though... :)

Posted

So when you are finnished what will be the official title of your bachelors?

Posted

Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics with a minor in Aviation Safety.

Posted

Holy shit... your really gonna be a square rooter now.. Thats it, I am changing your name to "rocket surgeon"  :lmao:

Congrats to ya for getting on it Mr.  You start that grammar nazi shit here and be prepared for some large italian guy to come knocking on your door when you get back and give ya a lil what for... you know, Imma gonna send my people to talks to yours people ya know..   :lmao:

:BC:

Posted

Way to go Joey - Never stop learning - and you deserve something for your service to America.

I flew out about $5000 of Uncle's money after getting paid about 11 cents an hour to start with - That was when you could rent a Cessna 150 for $9 an hour wet, and Uncle paid 90% of the bill.

Getting the degree is another big step up, and you will have worked hard for it.

Best wishes from old vet.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Started my first Embry Riddle Aeronautical University course today after a 10 year Hiatus. My how things have changed. This is my first 100% online course. All of the assignments require you post in a forum much like this one. Glad I have lots of practice at that except now my posts are graded for grameeeeirrrrrrr and stuf. I have no excuse to not get a degree from ERAU where most people can't afford to go to, because the Airforce is paying my tuition. Figured I'd start off easy with just one class this semester called Intro to Aeronautical Sciences. It involves discussion in: the science of flight, safety, security, human factors, aviation resources, the aviation environment, and meteorology. Between 15 years flying experience with the Airforce and my PPL it should be a breeze. I figure I have 5 years left before I can punch with a pension to finish my Bachelors degree and get my Instrument, Commercial, and CFI done..all of which they will pay for I just gotta get off my ass and do it.

Way to go Joey. Training and more training is always a good thing. Just know that flying commercially isn't as glamourous and as fun as it used to be what w/post 911 security and the bean counters having put an xtra sharp pencil to the bottom line.  Where I work, you'll need a min of 1500 hrs PIC time before they'll even think to offer you an interview (likely Avid 2-stroke VFR time would NOT mean much to most operators either :(  

In fact (which has surprised me) my soon to graduate AF Academy son who had every intention of going to flight-school is now thinking of pursuing his engineering major instead in the AF instead of flying. In the long run, he'll be able to afford anything he'll want to do and on his own and not dependent on the aviation industry for a decent living, an industry that is exceedingly cyclical and rife w/layoffs.  Different strokes - different folks as they say. The point I'm making is civil aviation (even military from what I've been hearing) just ain't fun anymore (not like flying Avids is - :) - more like a real job.

In your case, a few short years AF retirement, a fresh degree -- you'll do great.  Just don't put any great expectations in the aviation industry.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

If I can be a CFI at a Podunk FBO, tow a banner around, or check out a pipeline on a daily basis I'd be a happy camper. I have been flying from A to B for over 5000 hours and 15 years with the Airforce. I have NO intentions of trying to do that again making 1/3 as much money and being gone twice as much from my family than I already am. I know where your coming from and want no part of that scene.