Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

'Nother new Member

20 posts in this topic

Posted

I came over from the Avid-Yahoo list (and for the record, that format sux).

I'm "in between" airplanes now, but am looking to get into probably an Avid or 'Fox within the next 12-18 months.  I'd love a 1600 gross Sky Raider Frontier or Highlander, but the $$$ isn't there for that kind of project.  I live on enough property to give me about a 1000' grass strip in my front yard.  I have a pole barn, but it only has a 12 x 12 door, so folding wings are a must.

I'm a 300 hour private/instrument pilot (mostly low wing Pipers) that's been out of the loop for most of the last 15 years.  I soloed at 16, licensed at 17, was about to get my commercial at 18 when I had some medical issues that precluded me from ever pursuing the 'career' that I wanted.  I never lost my medical, but they sure made it tough to get it renewed.  I've got it back now and plan to try and maintain it, but can always fall back to SP.

My goal this summer is to regain currency and maybe see about that illusive tail wheel endorsement.

I have hooked up with a new acquaintance who is an "Avid" fan (he owns the prototype).  He's offered to assist in getting me set up with something worth buying.  I am a little scared at this point of starting a kit completely on my own, worried a little of not having what it takes to finish it.  That's why I'm thinking of getting a flying plane to start then maybe adding a "project" later.

(Sorry, that got a little long....)

Posted

Welcome aboard :beerchug:

While life can get i the way and slow down a build, I would not sell yourself short on "not having what it takes" to build a kit, or rebuild one.  If you can follow shitty directions (and not be afraid to ask help form fellow builders/rebuilders) you can fix anything.  I have built more model airplanes than you can shake a stick at and I feel the avid or kitfox is easier than most models I have built.

Dont be afraid to ask questions, bust balls, or just have a good time while looking for your new bird!

Leni

Posted

Welcome! I'm new myself. Don't let your flying dreams die off. You'll find there's never really a "good" time to get back into it. My only advice if you find a project is make sure you get good paperwork with it. Logs are worth a lot as I'm finding out the hard way. I've been working on just getting my registered for over a year. I still have the airworthiness issuance to deal with too. Having a complete set of logs and records will save alot of head aches. Watch out of other peoples hack jobs out there. Keep an eye on barnstormers.com. Nicely equipped 582 powered Avids are going for 12-20K right now. Kitfoxes tend to run a bit higher. I've been watching it everyday for 6 months now just to see what's out there and to get any idea of what mine will be worth when it's done. Have fun and good luck.

Posted

Log books etc, are not an issue.  You are not the original builder so you are not going to get a repairmans certificate for the plane.

Mine did not have a single log book as they were destroyed in a house fire.  I just took lots of pics when I rebuilt mine, started a new set of log books and put appropriate entries into it.  Made a 3 ring binder with all a summary sheet of all work performed, materials used, methods of repairs, then put the pics in chronological order.  I had an A&P / AI buddy come look it over (took him about an hour).  He would not sign off the condition inspection as I did not have an "original" airworthiness certificate, just a photo copy.  I had sent to FAA for a CD of all records they had for the plane (costs ya 10 buck to get everything they have on file).  I went through the local FSDO to get the replacement airworthiness.  The FAA inspector wanted to come take a look at the plane before he would issue it.  It took a few tries to get him and I to hook up but he showed up at the house, spent about 10 minuted looking over the book I out together, maybe 5 minutes glancing at the plane, and he handed me the replacement airworthiness.

It was not really nessicary for the FAA guy to come down and look at it, but I think he wanted to get out of the office :lol: .  He was GREAT to deal with and very helpful.

If they are hassling you just tell them the records were destroyed in a fire and go from there....

OK I will note, that when it was the 3rd time the inspector was spose to show and the date was canceled, I ccalled his bnoss, told them this was horse shit, and they were not going to hold my plane hostage.  I told them I would continue flying it but I really wanted to be legal and they were trying to make me an outlaw by not doing there part to help out.... Things went very smooth after that :lol:  <damn true story.

:BC:

Posted

Hi Guys, (you too C5)

Like it says, 'nother new guy. I've been reading your posts for a long time and finally got brave enough to join.

I bought this plane in Anchorage 1 year ago. Trailered it back to the lower 48 and took it all apart, rebuilt the left wing and put in back together. Test flights were finished in November, right before the weather got real bad. My taildragger instructor has endorsed me for "hi-speed" taxi, and then reminded me that altitude is my friend. (I'm still trying to figue that out) Like C5, we have been flying powered parachutes for years, now it's time to move up to "real planes". With a little luck, I might get to practice my "hi-speed" taxi this weekend.

I like this site for all the great information, and I'll be back soon with more questions, I'm sure.

:siterocks:

Posted

Glad to see you over here Bill.. Welcome! You'll find alot more pictures, stories, videos, ect over here than what is on the "list" If my A&P was not slacking this week with stitching and taping we'll be spraying dope this weekend. Hopefully you get a break in the weather up there. My parents Pierce got a foot yesterday. Sure you guys are ready for spring!

Posted

Hi guys,

Well I guess I need more help. My instructor informed me yesterday that he has given up instructing. I'm not sure which way to jump. Sell my plane or leave it in the garage and watch it get old. I did some "hi-speed taxiing" the other day. That was fun and exciting and tempting. The plane wanted to fly but I wasn't too sure if I was ready. I'm trying to find a sport pilot experimental instructor close to Spokane with no luck so far. Maybe I need to put it back on the trailer and head back to Alaska to find an instructor.

I find lots of answers on this forum so I hope you can help me again.

Posted

so is your issue finding and instructor that will fly with you in your plane or a TW instuctor period?  I know lots of guys in my area that had a hard time finding anyone to instruct them in the Avid or Kitfox, so I ended up "helping" out with getting them familiar with the Avid / Kitfox.  I was going to pursue getting my CFI so I could legaly help guys out but holy crap, tis an expensive ticket for me to swing kow ing that I dont want to instruct full time just a little here and there to help the experimental guys out.

A quick google search brought up a heck of a list of instructors in the spokane area.  The AOPA instructor search may help you out also.

:beerchug:

Posted

Thanks for the quick reply Leni. I did send out some emails to instructors from the EAA list but I'll try the AOPA list too. I think the part of landing that is still bugging me is that transition point between rudder and tailwheel. More hi-speed taxi I guess. I'm comfortable building up speed but slowing is still a bit of a problem. I'm nervous too about having the solo endorsement that I don't have yet. As you know, the Avid B isn't real roomy, so I'd like a small instructor. I'm licensed Sport Pilot in PPC so I'm working on the TW endorsement. I keep thinking it might be easier to put it back on the floats and practice taxiing. At least then the tailwheel isn't a problem. My instructor said I'd do fine using altitude as my friend, i just need a little more confidence in myself. After all my work putting this great little plane together, I sure don't want to hurt it. I'd like to watch other Avids land, I learn lots my watching. I haven't found any Avids in the area. The guy that did the test flight flies a kitfox, but he always flies at Felts Field on the asphalt and I like grass strips, until I get my Class D endorsement anyway.

Sorry 'bout all the venting but at least I feel better, maybe I'll just go take off and see what happens next. Takeoffs optional, landing mandatory!

Thanks again Leni

Bill

Posted

YIKES, well.. good luck.  What springs do you have on the tail wheel (pull or compression)  I went to compression springs cause they give better directional control and are only 25.00 from aircraft spruce.  If you come in and 3 point it, there is no transition, you are on the tail wheel right away.  You have good brakes?  a must for good control if she starts to get away from you and I am sure it will...

How wide is the grass strip you fly from?  How many hours do you have at this point in it?  How many takeoffs / landings?

:beerchug: <hoping you get her back in one piece chug!

Posted

LOL, I like YIKES. I think that is something like what I said when I did a 360 in the middle of the runway. (wing tips didn't touch though) It has pull springs on it now so I think I'll put compression on it like you suggested. The strip I use is about 40' wide and 2600 feet long. The brakes will hold it to about 3500 RPM then they begin slipping. Matco brakes. All my training was in my instructor's Piper Vagabond so I have not done any take-offs in my Avid. I guess that means I haven't done any landings, yet. LOL I've done about 2 hours oh high-speed taxiing, getting comfortable and going faster each time. (Except when I over correct and go back to slow practice) I feel pretty good on the take-off part. Scared as hell 'bout trying my first landing part though. Okay, I'll wait to take-off, just so I can keep reading the forum.

Posted

... shit, where to start... The avid is not going to feel ANYTHING like the vagabond.  The avid is very light, quick on the controls, and will MAKE you use your feet to keep the ball centered.  It is a VERY high drag airframe.  EVERYONE I have flown with trys to flair too high and drops it in.  This plane you fly to the ground, and start the flare about 5' off.  It will bleed speed VERY fast in the flare and have you on the ground.  You are looking for a landing, not an arrival.  How many hrs in the vagabond?  I dont want to discourage you, but I damn sure dont want to encourage you to go out and wrap the plane up.  If you do, I hope you can limp away from it :lol:  There has to be someone around the area that has an avid or kitfox who will take you up and give your a few hrs of dual to get you dialed in.

Posted

Bill sounds like your bird is itching to fly.  I'm going to be in the same boat. Mine is about 10 hours from being airworthy I just have to find the time to finish it up. I am going to get some dual before I fly mine but I plan on being the first one to fly it. I have about 5 trips around the pattern in a Kitfox IV but no real instruction in one. I'm hoping my 200 hours of Cessna time and my 12 hours and 50 landings in the ole champ get me back to earth in one piece.

Posted

The plane is ready, I'm not quite, yet. I had a lot of fun and got a lot of help from Leni, as you can see by the posts. I got a phone call from another instructor today and it looks like I'll be making a trip or two to Moses Lake with my plane. I think it likes riding around on the trailer. LOL I decided I didn't want to limp away from my first flight in my plane. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks

Posted

if you are gonna push it, dont frig around.  fire wall it and she will be in the air QUICK.  trying to make a nice long pretty take off run wil probably put you into the pickers oof the side of the runway.  Get some air under.  Dont try to take a turn around the pattern and put her back down.  Get plenty of altitude and figure the plane out.  Do some steep turns, slow flight, dutch rolls (will really help you one the final approach) and fly it around SLOW.  pic and altitude and practice landing it AT that altitude.  unless you are one hell of an aviator, this plane will make you feel like a goober the first few flights.  The KF Mod IV has the flaperon mod so it does not exhibit the adverse yaw that your plane will!  I have shit loads of TD time doing some hard core off airport work.  My first flights in my brothers KF II KICKED MY ASS.  I felt like I had NO flight time and was learning all over again.  The biggest thing that got me was flairing ON THE DECK.  I was doing the classic land it at 5' and dropping it in.  In fact after 3 approaches and landing he made me do a full stop and let him out.  He didnt care if I bent his bird he just did not want to be with me when I did it :lol: < very true story!  After shooting a few more I started getting the hang of it and the last few that day were pretty acceptable.

Once you get the feel it is a very easy plane to fly, and you will think it is the funnest plane one could ever fly, but there is a learning curve before you get to that point!

:beerchug:  < safety and health over ego brew

Posted

I had other pilot buddies telling me "O YOUR JUST A SISSY" and other

things, I'm sure you can thimk of some and maybe have herd some.

I have flown many years, with a long break, and I will tell you for a

FACT, if not for a couple hours with Leni, I WOULD NOT have my fox.

I totally lost it several times, and it is quick to lose.

I think high speed taxing might the easiest place to lose it too.

BOB

Posted

Hey I think I remember Jack (not Jackak) calling you something that refered to a cat.. and perhaps something refering to a steaming pile left by a barn yard bird.  There were a few other choise phrases that I wont put into writing.. no need to embarass ya :lol:

Posted

I thought you could say what you want on this site. Well, thanks cause

the truth does really hurt sometimes

BUT I still have my FOX

Posted

My manual specifically states that there is no such thing as a high speed taxi with these airplanes. It's either slow and controlled or a take off roll. I can't wait till the first time I hit the firewall with mine. That day is drawing nearer!

Joey

Posted

I did a high speed taxi 30 some years ago in my T-craft when I was first learning to fly. I ended up in a standing corn field. I learned one thing, its balls to the walls or nothing.