Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Avid Flyer in ND

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I have already posted on some of the fourms and have also been a member for a few months now but this is my official hello of sorts. My name is Dave and I live just outside Williston, ND. I have been flying off and on since I was 15 but didnt finish my PPL until 2009. Since my childhood, I have always been fascinated with bush pilots so it seemed a perfect fit that my first bird should be a taildragger. I picked up my 1996 Avid C model with the MK IV mods this April and have since then, been slowly going through it, repairing and changing a few things. I hope to have it in the air before the snow flies this winter and if not, i guess i will be adding some skis to it then.

Blue Skies!post-581-0-52921200-1376872663_thumb.jpg

Posted

Welcome Dave,

Great to have another Avid in the group. I hope the repairs and upgrades go quickly for you. The good flying weather doesn't stick around forever. Any pics of your project to share?

Posted

I have some on my computer and will post them as soon as i can.

Posted

Welcome Dave - Guess you have heard enough on here to want to stick around and share your experiences and about your bird with this bunch of builders and flyers. Congratulations on owning an Avid - Now, you just have to fly it and write and post photos here.

EDMO

Posted

Welcome Dave to the forum...be glad to see some of your pictures and your upgrades....

Bob

Posted

Congrats and welcome to the forum!!

Speed or Stol wing? Also are your fuel caps vented?

Posted

It has speed wings with the wing tip extensions added during the build. The fuel caps appear to be the automotive style with the built in vents.

Posted (edited)

Dave,

I think what Joey may be pointing you toward is the need for extended tubes on top of the caps to prevent spill when wings are folded, and the possibility of siphoning, a vacuum or no positive pressure on tanks when in flight.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Ed but no there are not any nextended tubes on top of the caps. I will probably be installing poly tanks and will make sure to mod the caps with the vent tubes. I dont have to fold the wings too often since i am lucky enough to fly out from my house.

Posted

What they are talking about is not a vent, but a pitot pressure tube going to the top of the tanks. This is needed in these planes...

Posted

It has speed wings with the wing tip extensions added during the build. The fuel caps appear to be the automotive style with the built in vents.

Hey Dave, welcome to the neighborhood. I remember seeing your Avid on BS and thinking it was a good looking bird. Glad to see the builder thought ahead and added the extensions right outta the gate to keep the twist reasonable. Do you know how much twist you actually have? I built long spar wings using speed ribs and 1-1/2" twist but wish I used less. What other mods are you planning?

Posted

I dont know for sure but it is a least 1-1/2". I am planning on putting some 26" Airstreaks and probably the 8" Matco tailwheel. I want to redo the panel and put a recessed spot for my iPad (Got the idea from the iCub) so i can use foreflight for in flight weather. There is also the HAC i plan on installing.

Posted

Well, it looks like I will be moving to PA in the very near future. How many east coast flyers do we have out there?