Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Making the feds happy with Logbooks???

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I have to make new logs for my airplane as the originals were lost over the last 15 years of it getting shuffled around. I have all the other paperwork such as the original ARROW paperwork, builders manual, airworthiness, ect, ect I just don't have the airplane logs. I've done a ton of work to the airplane and I was wondering where I can get some guidance on how to properly enter the work into a log book.

I bought a fancy hard cover regular aircraft log book. I found the original builder and I know the complete history of the aircraft including the 3 times it was sold. Some examples of the big work I've done is a totally different FWF package. Went from a 532 to a NSI Soob to a 582. The last time around everything from the sticks forward was rebuilt including the panel and all the wiring. Dean Wilson himself did the FWF work. Two years ago the airplane rolled out of the barn and dinged up the tail feathers. We had to uncover the rudder and elevator and weld in a new tube. They were recovered and put back together. Right now an A&P/IA is recovering my wings and horizontal stab. The windshield is new. The tires and bearings are new. The bungees are new. The fuel line is all new. There are a lot more little things but that is the kind of stuff I want to document before I apply for my new Airworthiness certificate. Of course it will have a new W&B and current conditional as well before I apply.

Because I've always been a renter or an ultralight flyer I've never dealt with logs. I'm sure there is an AC out there in Part 43 that covers it but I dont' feel like sifting through pages of FAA mumbo jumbo. So can I just write it up as a story with dates, and a narrative or is there a specific way it needs to be done? Any info would be great.

Posted

You A&P can show you some typical log books.  I made the entrys pretty much as you said, in short story form.  They were basically as follows.

Engine log book

Original log book destroyed in house fire.

Engine rebuilt at 221 hrs on hobs.  Rebuild included new crank, pistons and rings, bearings, gaskets, water pump, RV shaft and all seals.  Work was performed in accordance with the Rotax engine rebuild manual.  Engine installed and broken in per Rotax installation manual.

Airframe.

Original log book Destroyed in fire.  Aircraft was purched with 221 hrs on airframe as a basket case.  Then I listed out work I did on it (pretty much as I have it brokeout on the attached repair summary) and signed the book.  The A&I signed it again after he inspected the work.  I will attach the summary I put in the front of my "book" that included all the pics from how I bought it to the completed repair.  The FAA inspector flipped through it, commented that it was GREAT documentation and handed me the replacement airworthiness.

Avid repair summary.doc

Posted

OK Leni and C5E...., I'm going to hit the ground running........  Show me the FAR that says you are required to record ANY maintenance or repair performed on your planes?

Now I'll show you where it says it's not required... 

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=24376b5f6b39cbcf60e3db5406a9b9e3&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:1.0.1.3.21.0.363.1&idno=14

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space

PART 43—MAINTENANCE, PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE, REBUILDING, AND ALTERATION

§ 43.1  Applicability.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (B) and (d) of this section, this part prescribes rules governing the maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration of any—

(1) Aircraft having a U.S. airworthiness certificate;

(2) Foreign-registered civil aircraft used in common carriage or carriage of mail under the provisions of Part 121 or 135 of this chapter; and

(3) Airframe, aircraft engines, propellers, appliances, and component parts of such aircraft.

(B) This part does not apply to any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft.

Required inspections (under Part 91), e.g. ELT, TransponderEncoder, etc and "Condition Report" required by the Operating Limitations ------------YES. 

Maintenance---------NO

Note: Maintenance issues are also covered in Part 91 but always in conjunction with Part 43 rules....which do not apply.

Now, the other side of the coin.....  I always show maintenance in my logs, but only for my own benefit. And I do as stated in 43.9

§ 43.9  Content, form, and disposition of maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration records (except inspections performed in accordance with part 91, part 125, §135.411(a)(1), and §135.419 of this chapter).

(a) Maintenance record entries. Except as provided in paragraphs (B) and © of this section, each person who maintains, performs preventive maintenance, rebuilds, or alters an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part shall make an entry in the maintenance record of that equipment containing the following information:

(1) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of work performed.

(2) The date of completion of the work performed.

(3) The name of the person performing the work if other than the person specified in paragraph (a)(4) of this section.

(4) If the work performed on the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part has been performed satisfactorily, the signature, certificate number, and kind of certificate held by the person approving the work. The signature constitutes the approval for return to service only for the work performed.

C5E... you mentioned... "Some examples of the big work I've done is a totally different FWF package."  According to the original Operating Limitations issued for the aircraft the FAA must be informed of the changes (from original) and probably need another inspection and a new flight test period to "prove" the changes.

There is always the "he saidshe said", and "I saw it on the Web" information....  Then you have the actual FAR's.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave.."

How's that Leni?? Am I pissing anybody off yet???    :beerchug:

Posted

oh hell no yer not pissing anyone off.  I knew that I was not required to keep the log books, however, when the man comes looking and asks questions and you stand there with your thumb in yer ass and sound stupid, he generaly looks harder and digs deaper.  If they see you have taken great care in keeping log books and recording all the little details, it seems to show them that you are a nitpicky meticulous sum bitch and they dont look to hard.  I was pretty happy when the airframe inspetion only took the FAA inspector about 5 minutes after he looked over my books.

This will also go a long ways if you decide to sell.  ANY prospective buyer is going to want records with the aircraft.  If you show them meticulous records, they get a warm fuzzy, and wont haggle you down as much on the price.

Course, this is only my very own brand of snake oil, while Steve has posted the FACTS as laid out by the FAA.  :lol:

:beerchug:

Posted

I'm with AKflyer. Having logs helps with the resale and I just like to keep track of stuff. You should see the maintenance logbook for my 94 Toyota 4-Runner I've had for 10 years. Every part that has ever been cleaned, adjusted, or replaced is documented to include things like windshield wipers..haha. I figure the more paperwork and documentation I can show the DAR the easier it's going to be.

Posted

OK that is just sick.... :lol:  I keep a log for oil and lube etc, for the cars, but not any other replacement parts.    :buttrock:

Posted

Hey I'm in the Military it's bred into me to be anal..hahaha I forgot to mention to 84KF that for some reason my bird was issued a temp airworthiness certificate that was only good for 6 months to put it into Phase I. I have notarized copies out of the original builders pilot log book that show it was flown for 110 hours. After some research it appears he was supposed to go back to the FSDO and complete some paperwork to be issued the permanent certificate which he never did and then the airplane was sold. Sooo I have to reapply for a certificate anyways and more than likely they'll put it back into Phase I. According to the FSDO that is strictly the inspectors discretion though. I may have to fly it 40, 25, or none. It's no big deal because since I have no flight data and it hasn't flown in 15 years I'll be running it through a flight test period either way. The only restriction is the small circle and no pax but I don't plan to leave the practice area or take anyone up till I feel proficient in landing the thing anyways. That could take a little while  :flush:

Posted

I am gonna guess that the temp was when they were testing the subie on it.  You can show the rotax 582 and prop is a proven combo so they may not put a 40 hr phase one on it.  maybe 10 hrs at most unless he wants to be a prick about it.

Should not take you long to get the hang of landing it.  It will bleed speed VERY fast in the flare.  Come in withthe power to arrest the sink rate till you ge the flare down perfect and you wont have any issues.  Bleed the speed and drag it in with power starting about 5' up.  ease off thepower and she will settle right in.  You do it right and she wont have any flying speed left at touch down so there is no issues with bounce.

:beerchug: