Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

kitfox ribs in the elevator

10 posts in this topic

Posted

What is the benefit of the ribs in the tail [rudder;elevator] I think that it might be for more strength but is it more aerodynamic too. I have an avid and I don't  have them would it be better to install them? 

thanks Bob

Posted

They are supposed to be an aerodynamic speed benefit. At the speeds these planes travel (~100 mph) IMO the jury is still out on their true benefit.

A secondary benefit is the ridiculous rudder hinge setup in the later model Kitfoxes. They use rod end bearings. Which make for an extremely difficult assembly, adjustment and faring construction.

Posted

According to what I have read in Barnaby Wainfain's writings, (he is an aeronautical engineer and wrote books on wings, ribs, etc), he says that there are plenty of planes that flew well with the flat HS, elevators, and VS, rudders, even the fast Wittman Tailwind. I am guessing that you might get a slightly better action with the intercostals, and I will probably put them on mine for the looks, or to keep the fabric away from the internal tubes, but probably not worth the effort otherwise, IMO.

EDMO

Posted

The plane to beat for 70 yrs has been the cub... it has flat surfaces back there.  I wouldnt waste the time to di it unless you just like the look.

:BC:

Posted

The plane to beat for 70 yrs has been the cub... it has flat surfaces back there.  I wouldnt waste the time to di it unless you just like the look.

:BC:

And, Taylorcraft, and so many more....

EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the reply  I have a cougar [a tailwind clone] and it is also has flat elevators but I wanted to be sure that I was not missing something that I should have done while I am recovering......

thanks Bob

Posted

I have asked this question before and never got an answer:  The old fabric planes used ribstitching on the aileron ribs - Did any of them or the Kitfoxes ribstitch the intercoastal ribs on the HS/VS, Elevators/Rudder?  EDMO

Posted

I just put ribs in the avid recently while recovering the fuselage. I did the vertical and horizontal  cause I liked the way it looked .Flys exactly the same did before though. I would say cosmetic.the horizontal is definitely stiffer though when pushing the plane back into the hanger. I didn't rib stitch

20170131_122531.jpg

Posted

I like the looks of the ribs too, and you don't have all those cris-cross tapes on them.  EDMO

Posted

I stitched mine.  Just because...