Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cooling system

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is my cooling system.

Anyone successfully running this configuration?

Today while running my idle checks, I noticed my water temps climbing, but ramping up the rpm would cool it off again. Feels like my coolant may be low. Shut her down and noticed my overflow bottle was full. Hmm. Ok.... I let her cool off a bit and then pulled the 5mm plug out of the top of the 90 elbow on the head. Dry. Blast. Topped off the coolant through that plug. Started her back up. Nice and cool. Shut down, pulled the plug again and I was able again to pour in a bit of water. I thought for sure she would have been pumped full of coolant after the last top off.

So what the best procedure to get the system purged?

post-544-0-77027400-1377312086_thumb.jpg

post-544-0-35895000-1377312108_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deejayel

Posted

Here is my cooling system.

Anyone successfully running this configuration?

Today while running my idle checks, I noticed my water temps climbing, but ramping up the rpm would cool it off again. Feels like my coolant may be low. Shut her down and noticed my overflow bottle was full. Hmm. Ok.... I let her cool off a bit and then pulled the 5mm plug out of the top of the 90 elbow on the head. Dry. Blast. Topped off the coolant through that plug. Started her back up. Nice and cool. Shut down, pulled the plug again and I was able again to pour in a bit of water. I thought for sure she would have been pumped full of coolant after the last top off.

So what the best procedure to get the system purged?

It always takes me a couple fo heating/cooling cycles with top offs to get all the air out of the system.

Posted

Did you build that piece that the radiator cap screws onto? I am getting ready to re plumb my system. That looks nice an simple.

Posted

It is a nice piece, but it came with the airplane. I think it was standard issue with the KF kit back in the 90's. i know some have replaced them with a larger expansion tank.

Posted

It always takes me a couple fo heating/cooling cycles with top offs to get all the air out of the system.

How many "tops off"?

Rad cap off and bleed screw out and run her?

Posted

I had to raise the tail on my KF3, set it up on a hilside w/ blocks until the nose was waaay down.

Posted (edited)

How many "tops off"?

Rad cap off and bleed screw out and run her?

I have always just run it with the cap on and the system closed but watch it so it doesn't overheat; then let it cool and suck as much as it can back from the overflow bottle, then top it off.  It isn't fast that way but it works and mine will fly and stay within the temp range after the initial top off so I can still fly OK.  It usually takes me 3 or 4 top offs after that to get to where it will not take any more water.  Leaving he cap off or bleed screw out might be a faster way to get there but tends to be a bit messy if it belches out of the system.  The amount of water that gets pushed out when the thing heats up is pretty substantial.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

I had to raise the tail on my KF3, set it up on a hilside w/ blocks until the nose was waaay down.

Thats how I do it on my avid. Fill it, put the cap back on and lift the tall as hi as I can, you will hear it bubble, might take 2 or 3 times and it's full.

Posted

Hey Jim how you been?

Posted

I always fill my system then squeeze the rubber radiator lines, kind of burping both upper and lower, and add coolant as the air is purged. Bryce

Posted

Flew yesterday. Temps stayed in check, but I was distracted by the leaking carb to postflight the cooling system...

I've been thinking of installing the "radiator scoop kit" from kitfox. Thoughts? Better ideas? Does it help to lower temps a bit? Speed mod?

If nothing else, it looks good

Posted

I have the scoop and frankly hate it. It makes servicing the radiator impossible and adds little if any to speed or cooling.

I agree it does look good though.

Posted

Ok, looks only.... Hmm.

I did like the looks of the scoop when I saw your bird at OSH....

Posted

If you just looking to lower the temps a bit, Murle Williams claims his aluminum radiator drops the temp by 30 degrees and it weighs half of a stock one. It's not cheap though. I think he said it was around $300.

Posted

I would like to give that alu rad a try. I should've snagged the ebay alu rad we discussed a few months back on ebay. Iirc, they were less than $200, and probably the same thing. The summer temps here in LA are hot. I would love to see a 10-20deg drop.

I'm glad you mentioned Murle, i need to replace my plastic header tank. And I see he has one with a low fuel sensor too. Nice.

Posted

Looking at your pics I'm wondering if your cylinder head vent hose is trapping air. There's a spot about midway up that line where it looks higher than both the cylinder and the filler neck. You may be getting air trapped right there.

Posted (edited)

That could very well be a problem. I recently installed the clear hose and have yet to see any coolant in it?

What exactly is that vent designed to do?

Edited by Deejayel

Posted

Removes all the air :)

Posted (edited)

Hmm. Can you talk or are you out of country?

Edited by Deejayel