Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Phat Tires

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

You got to have them!

I didn't think I would make this jump but if a little bit is good, well....  Starting with the 8.00 play tires on my MKIV, to the 21's (Nancos), 24's (ATV tires), 26's (AK Bushwheels), and now to 30" Airstreaks.  I've got to say, they are pretty cool looking, if I can just keep Larry and Doug from insulting my manhood. :lmao:   It ended up being a bit more involved than I originally though it would be.  I had an extra set of wheels from the unfinished MKIV kit sitting in my hangar so that would let me put the 30's on a separate set of rims and keep my smaller 26's for quick change out for longer trips.  They required 2 spacers per wheel rather than the single spacer I was able to get away with on the 26's; plus the longer wheel bolts and a pain getting them mounted, and more bolts after I broke one and determined the first set were just a little too short.  Then the axles were too short so had to build a new set of axles since the current ones on my plane and the parts kit were too short also.  Finally got it done tonight but after weeks of rain it is still raining so no test flight tonight.  Hopefully tomorrow will tell the pro's and cons.

So far, the pro's: Super cool look, lighter wallet, great angle of attack, at 6'1" I am able to stand up easily under the wing, at 5 psi the tire doesn't even bulge so it should really suck up the rocks!

Con's: Kind of costly with the extras needed, 7.5 lb per tire/wheel weight gain (not too bad considering the size difference), will definately slow down the cruise speed (yet to be determined).

Photo's show the plane on the 21's, 26's and 30's

All fun!

post-75-0-77363500-1377327844_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-09750200-1377327956_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-36987700-1377328109_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-79783600-1377328270_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid
1 person likes this

Posted

Now that is just Badass!! And it makes it even better knowing they will get used. I've seen many a Maule and 180's since I started this backcountry flying stuff that have 29's, 31's, and 35's and the nastiest stuff they land on is maybe a gopher hole in a mowed strip. :handjob:

Posted

Not to be outdone by Randy I put some Bushwheels on my Carbon Cub today!! They are the main tires off a T-28 trojan. Took a little modding to get them on the stock wheels. No noticeable difference in cruise speed but it sure lands better on the sand I've been flying off of!!

post-40-0-46442100-1377351036_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-01290100-1377351042_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Someday when I'm rich and famous like Randy.......

I need to navigate too much pavement to even consider them. Looks good on you, though.

(Is that an Ivo medium or ultralight?)

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Not to be outdone by Randy I put some Bushwheels on my Carbon Cub today!! They are the main tires off a T-28 trojan. Took a little modding to get them on the stock wheels. No noticeable difference in cruise speed but it sure lands better on the sand I've been flying off of!!

Very nice Joey, I like it start where you can and work up. I'm still flying my paper airplanes but hope to ketch up some day :rolleyes:

Posted

Wowser that is some serious rubber, how cool is that! MeThinks it might be the 'SuberShoeAvid' now. :BC:

Posted

Very nice, keeps looking meaner every time you post a picture of that beast,Randy, do you have a close up picture of the small triangle side windows in the cargo area, not sure what the best way is to mount them in there,

Posted

Awsome,  too cool!

Someday when I'm rich and famous like Randy.......

I need to navigate too much pavement to even consider them. Looks good on you, though.

(Is that an Ivo medium or ultralight?)

It's the medium IVO

Very nice, keeps looking meaner every time you post a picture of that beast,Randy, do you have a close up picture of the small triangle side windows in the cargo area, not sure what the best way is to mount them in there,

I have tabs welded in at the corners so I bent up some .020 aluminum in a 1/2x1/2x1/2 channel and used it as the inside support so I could rivet the window about every 2".  Then cut the window to just overlap the airframe tubing, put a small bead of silicone wher it laps the tubes and riveted it through the window, aluminum and tabs at the corners and to the aluminum channel in between.

Posted

SuberAvid you have a nice looking plane I have a question about your wheel combination on your 21 inch wheel what rims and brakes do you have?

thanks Bob

Posted

Now Randy just needs to sell me his 26's.

Posted

SuberAvid you have a nice looking plane I have a question about your wheel combination on your 21 inch wheel what rims and brakes do you have?

thanks Bob

I got a set of the earlier model KF hubs and a pair of 8" Douglas aluminum wheels.   I had tabs welded in the inside of  the wheels for the brake disc to bolt to and re-drilled the wheels to fit the 6 bolt hub.  I changed my original single puck Matco brakes for a triple puck Matco WHLB5XT-B5 brake calipers.  They are made for 3/8" thick discs but almost the same diameter as the 1/4" thick discs, so I just fab'd a 1/8" backer plate for the passive brake pad.  I also changed to the remote reservior master cylinders so I could move the top mounting position of the masters in closer to the hinge point on the toe pedals.  Hope that makes sense.

1 person likes this

Posted

Follow up on flying with the 30's.  I didn't land any big rocks but areas that always were a little rough feeling with my 26's felt smooth with the 30's.  They are just a blast to fly, you get the feeling that they would roll over about anything.  The increased angle of attack actually helps in takoff; I typically had to get to 40 mph (on the ASI) to rotate and get off clean with the 26's, but I was able to do it at around 36 to 37mph with the 30's. 

Surprisingly, I could not really tell any significant reduction in cruise speed or increased fuel burn.  I was flying up in the Knik valley with about a 10 mph HW or TW depending on direction so it was not a real good test but it still is able to cruise at 90+ burning 4.6 to 4.8 gph.  I will have to cruise for a longer distance with more nuetral wind to get a more accurate reading on the true affect. 

Got in a good 3.5 hours of super fun play and landed a lot of 300' and 400' strips that I had been looking at but avoiding.  The plane has a little more tendancy to nosing over when you get on the brakes; probably due to the CG being higher above the pivot point, so you have to be a little more careful on the brakes.  If there is one big con to these tires it is that I need to be sure I don't get too overconfident and sloppy.

Posted

If there is one big con to these tires it is that I need to be sure I don't get too overconfident and sloppy.

You would not be the first person that has bit in the ass, myself included! Gorgeous pics and great report. Sure makes me want something bigger than my Nanco's but they are a pretty good balance of letting me have a blast and still keep me out of trouble.

Posted

Thanks SuberAvid yes that info was what I needed

thanks Bob

Posted

Looks nice Randy!

Posted

Thanks to SuberAvid posting those pics, I had to bite the bullet and buy the 26" Airstreaks. I hope to get my bird looking that good someday soon!

Posted

Hmmm, my buddy Sid has some 30" air streaks we had on the 12... I have dual spacers for my Matcos already... Hmmmm.... Phat tire fly off soon?? :lol: I'm sure the floats will be coming off next hitch in and I will be on wheels till we get some good snow. That will give me the push I need to mount the new master cylinders too.

:BC:

Posted

The new 26" Airstreaks installed compared to the stock 600x6's that were on it when i bought it.post-581-0-92871400-1379731701_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-44981600-1379731717_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

you wont be the only one sporting those tires!  I pic up a set of them next tuesday when I get home!  A local guy had a set I couldnt pass up :lol:

I wont put them on till the water gets stiff, but it will probly be in the next few weeks that I try them out.

Posted

The new 26" Airstreaks installed compared to the stock 600x6's that were on it when i bought it.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Those look much better than the pavement pounders that were on it before!

Posted

Thanks akflyer. They sure soak up the bumps on the farm a lot better than the old tires and, damn do they look cool!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The new 26" Airstreaks installed compared to the stock 600x6's that were on it when i bought it.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's what I'm talkin about! To anyone who can escape the pavement; these are the way to have fun.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

you wont be the only one sporting those tires!  I pic up a set of them next tuesday when I get home!  A local guy had a set I couldnt pass up :lol:

I wont put them on till the water gets stiff, but it will probly be in the next few weeks that I try them out.

Shucks, now I will have to go to 31's :lmao:

Hey Leni, that will be great.  I hope we get a good break in the weather about that time.  I head for OR for a few weeks to go elk hunting on 20 Oct but we should be ablet to get some good fall/early winter flying in on wheels.  It is getting a little chilly out there now, about time to install the collectors on the radiators so I can get some heat in the plane.

I don't know how long your axles are but I had to make up a longer set for mine with the widened wheels and will have to change tehm out to my old set when I put the skis on.

Randy

Posted

I had to use 2 spacers in my 24" tires I had on it originally and I still have those axles.  Should be a pretty quick swap over for me.  I have to cut the tabs off my rudder bars and move them over to put the new masters on so that will take a couple hours, but should still be an afternoon swap.  While I have it down, I will get the MK IV radiators put in and clean her up under the cowling a bit.

have you been keeping an eye on the axles to make sure the 30s are not putting too much stress on the them and bending them?

Posted

I haven't pulled the wheeles off to inspect them closely but just looking at the camber on the tires, the seem to be doing good so far.  I landed a new place on the Kashwitna last week and it is hard to see this strip because it is in the trees and crossways to the river.  When you are low enough to land it you can't see it coming.  So I was approaching it low, in a slight turn and as slow as possible and lost lift a little high and did a pretty good bounce so I tested them pretty good.  I think the tires at 5 psi may help, even though they are wider and the outer bearing has more leverage on the axle.  We will just have to keep an eye on them.

I took a few pics while I was there and flying back home.  Had a beautiful sunset but couldn't get my camera to not flash when trying to get the alpenglow on the mountains so ther is a lot of reflection off the lexan in that pic.

post-75-0-48497800-1380389835_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-89974900-1380389955_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-09803500-1380390026_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-09894600-1380390089_thumb.jpg