Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fairing horizontal stab struts and jury struts

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Been looking at some ways to fair these struts. It's more of a cheap tinkering project to do the plane more than anything and certainly can't hurt anything. Rans aircraft carries this fairing for a 1/2"  tube. I plan on using it for the horizontal struts and I think I am going to try either gluing balsa wood onto the back of my jury struts or using some of the trailing edge material that spruce sells and covering it.

post-40-0-23153300-1377334834_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-73538500-1377334838_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-08486500-1377334878_thumb.jpg

Posted

I used the ACS stuff on my horizontal stab struts.  Works pretty good but has kind of a funky leading edge.  I ended up covering it with duc tape to smooth it out.  Thinking balsa trailing edges from the hobby shop might be the way to go for the jury struts.  My only concern is about how easily they might get damaged

Posted

I too thought about damage but unless it's me walking into them I think they will be okay. I think it's pretty well known in the airplane world that jury struts are a hands off area when it comes to moving the plane around but then again I've been fooled before. I've had people grab ahold of my horizontal stab to "help" put the plane away. Once they are doped and covered in some sort of film they should be strong enough I would think. If not it's an easy fix...been flying RC's long enough I've gotten good at super gluing balsa back together!