912ul - high oil temp and pressure

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Based on the operator manual and other owner posts, it seems like my 912 runs hotter than normal. I've heard some 912ul owners don't even run a oil cooler in their KF4. Not sure why I'm at the top of the range, pic shows typical temps on a 85* degree day. I am currently using a Wix filter till the next oil change, I understand the bypass issue but would the filter really contribute to such a difference? A whole lot of folks never use the Rotax filter and don't seem to have high temps. 

post-53-0-14490800-1377800619_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

It's tough to see, Doug.  Is it reading like 230º?  If so it is well under the 280º redline for synthetic oil.  I wouldn't worry.

Since you're running the wrong filter anyway, what kind of black water is in it for oil?

I can get the proper Mobil Racing 4-T, 10W-40 oil from the local Fleet Farm for $9 per quart.  The proper filter is about $15.  Did you get a couple at Airventure?  That's the best place to get them cheap.

Posted

I switched this 912 to Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 on the first oil change. I used the Wix filter at my last drain because the A&P owner/builder had used them since new and had extras in the box of parts I rec'd with the plane. I was hoping to pick up some of the new Rotax filters at OSH but never found any real bargains. Which vendor did you support there?

Posted (edited)

LEAF and Lockwood had the cheap. I didn't buy because I had several already.

Sport +4 is very good oil. You are fine at that temp.

I would still ash can the wix lawn tractor filter, ASAP. At the pressure shown you are bypassing the filter, it's doing nothing.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

What the heck are those things on your feet?  Are those FAA aproved? :lmao:

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

:lmao:  Rockport sandals, super comfy, can walk miles in them! I went flying with my work boots on once before I made my pedal pads, got all snagged up in the FW tubes and darn near killed myself. Since then I have tried bare feet, slippers, sandals, docksiders and sneakers. The sandals and docksiders work best for me, I must get prepared for when the floats go on!

Posted

There's nothing like a good pair of "Lord Boards"! I personally have a pr of Keens. Couldn't make it through the summer without them! Doug, I wear a size 14 so I had the same problem with my feat hanging up in everything up front until I:

1. Removed the wooden floor board- yes my heels rest on the Aluminum floor cover.

2. Angled my rudder pedals 15-20deg forward, as far forward as allowable with full rudder and brake throw.

3. Beat out towards the engine the 90 deg corner in the firewall.

There's enough room down there now that Big Foot could work the rudder pedals, with his work boots on! Bryce