Cost Per Hour

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey all, been trying to figure up my Cost Per Hour for my Kitfox IV with a Rotax 582.  I'm curious what kind of cost everyone else is calculating because mine is coming in a little high I feel.  Maybe I'm calculating something wrong.

Unfortunately on my limited budget I can only fly about 4 hours a month right now.  So a flight every other weekend.  Until my situation changes that's only 48 hours a year.

I am calculating my cost per hour right now at $80.10.  The largest cost is my hangar rent, approximately $37.50 per hour at 48 hours a year.  Obviously if I could fly more that cost would drop dramatically.

This does NOT include insurance, I have not been able to find a provider willing to insure my Kitfox with my low SEL Tailwheel time

Edited by RMendler

Posted (edited)

If I could afford to fly 100 hours a year (which I can't) it would drop my cost down to $55.00 an hour which seems more inline with what other people tell me.

Edited by RMendler

Posted

Try Falcon Insurance. That is who my insurance is through. You can get a quote off of the E.A.A.'s website.

Posted (edited)

I just entered a new quote on the EAA's website.  I'm a non-member due to financial constraints, I also just let my AOPA membership expire.  Last time I applied for insurance (4-5 months ago) I was denied due to lack of time.  I have 180 hours, 40 airplane, 15 tailwheel.  Low in retrospect but what kind of hours are they looking for Tailwheel?  40?

Also if anyone has direct experience with the HACman system, please PM me, I'd like to ask a few questions.  I've been told the 582 can save as much as 20-30% in fuel by using the HACman, I'm skeptical.

Edited by RMendler

Posted

Avemco insurance is who I recommend and use. They insured me with low time. Good folks. With the Hac, I can make the 582 run better and MAYBE save a half gallon an hr. Joey saves a good bit with his on cross country. The best thing I've found is to pull the power back. Bryce

Posted

Falcon took me with 5 hours of tailwheel and maybe 250 total time.  It's gotten cheaper every renewal.  Now I have full hull coverage for the same price as what I started with only liability.

I've never figured my cost per hour.  Too depressing to try.  If I have some gas money I dump it in and go.  If I don't, I don't.

Lots cheaper than a shrink and better mental health benefits.

Posted

I received my insurance without being an EAA member and I only had 12 hrs tailwheel time. I just had to get a checkout from a CFI in type and then had to prove that I had the skills to not kill myself by flying 10 hrs solo.

Posted

With flying 70 hrs a year, hanger rent, ins, $4000 overhaul every 6 years, gas, I have around $50 an hour.

Posted

Having a fuel flow  indicator will go a long ways towards reducing your gallons per hour..

It is amazing how much fuel the 582 can burn at or near full throttle.

That last 10 MPH may cost you several GPH.

The HACman reduces the fuel flow by allowing you to raise your EGT's at most power settings to 1150 degrees, or what ever temperature you are comfortable with.

Herman

Posted

My plane lives outside in the not so nice alaskan weather... is a hangar really needed down there? 

Very few planes are hangared up here.  It is a luxury that most cant really afford here nor is there much hangar space.

I cant bear to calculate the cost of flying.  It is a passion that I just figure I dont want to live without so I will do what ever it takes to fly when and how I want to.  Keep reciepts and such just makes me realise what else I could own if I quit flying so darn much :lol:

:BC:

Posted

I would definitely keep your bird in a hangar here because of the humidity we suffer😩 with! However, your Kitfox wings will fold back in 5-10 min once you get the hang of it. So see if you can find someone with a smaller bird like a Pitts rv etc to split a hangar with or see if you can stuff it in the corner/ side of the typical large corporate hangar every airport has. Bet you can do that for $30-50 mo. If that! That's what the previous owner of mine did. She now goes in my barn😄!

Posted

If your local airport rents T-hangers, check to see what they do with the '1/2-hanger' end units. Mine had one with airport junk stored in it, airport manager just figured it was unusable space. I made a cash offer for 3 years upfront at about 1/3 the cost of a full unit and he went for it. Now I fold/unfold only one wing and am ready to fly in half the time as my buddy who shares a hanger with a 701 and has to fold/unfold both wings every time. IMHO, a 1/2 hanger beats trailering or sharing hands down... :)

post-53-0-48150600-1378328586_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Great option Doug. I know a Kitfox driver that does the same thing at our field.