Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

V8 Miata

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For all the motor heads here.

For the past 3 years I have been accumulating parts for an LS1 swap in a 1990 Mazda Miata.  I just abandoned the project due to financial constraints..  I have collected some of the best drivetrain components available and even built a 1990 Miata chassis with a full roll cage and all. 

Then I found this!  Just came on the market.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/exocet/

It uses all of the custom parts I have accumulated but I am worried that the 383 LS1 is going to produce too much power for the chassis.

**EDIT**

After contacting the manufacturer they gave me the # to a guy who just finished one with a 302 Ford V8.  It apparently outruns a Ferrari Enzo off the line.  The chassis can handle over 700whp.  It's not confirmed but if I were to build this car I may have the lightest, highest horsepower one built to date.  My 383 is putting down 500whp and 500ft-lbs.  They tell me their system says it would weigh 1,750lbs full race weight with a weight distribution of 54-46%.  That is 3.5lbs per horspower and almost 50/50 weight distribution.

Edited by RMendler

Posted

I knew a guy back in high school,25 years ago, that put a big block Chevy in an Opal GT.  A little more old school with a narrow Ford 9" and a 4-speed Muncie Rock Crusher...

The car was virtually un-drivable.

Posted

How about a full-race 283 in a Nash Metropolitan! Wish the photos hadn't burned up.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

I'm running a complete custom built internally aluminum block / aluminum head LS1 from a 2004 GTO with a custom clutch, flywheel and bellhousing to adapt to a Ford T-5 dogring gearbox.  The rear end is a Getrag, brand new from a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V. 

In the current chassis (1990 Miata) my weight is 2,275 with about 450whp.  Its more controllable then you might think and with 275/35/15 Hoosier race slicks its a blast.

This new chassis is a full 500lbs lighter with the V8 then what I have now and I'm sure with more direct airflow over the carb it'll make more power. 

And yes I took a fully fuel injected LS1 and installed a Carb manifold and Carb while retaining the factory ignition.  It's a nice setup and makes the same power as the super expensive EFI systems.  I have limited experience with carbs but was raised on EFI.  For some reason I felt that the Carb was a better setup in this application

Edited by RMendler

Posted

We had a Monster Miata in town w/ a 5.0L fuel injected engine that was fast as hell! Lotsa guys call 'em a chic car but I love Miatas! With a few cheap suspension mods they handle like a go kart, very popular in the SCCA autocross events here. Years ago I bought my wife a 1992 Sunburst Yellow for Valentines Day but it was such a clean limited edition she was afraid to drive it. Still remember #503 of 1519, even had the hardtop. More than once I thought about a engine swap. Sold it for new hardwood floors that made her very happy.  :P

post-53-0-74616700-1378670200_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-20749800-1378670202_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-38822500-1378670203_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-86246900-1378670204_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-16438900-1378670206_thumb.jpg

Posted

Yea the 5.0 is a cool swap, much cheaper then the LSx due to the weight of the engine.

No one ever believes me but with a V8Roadsters LSxR Kit and an LSx engine the weight ratio remains 50/50.

Now there are options to fit 275's under Miata's so traction is not that large of a problem, they hook up very well.

I live in Jeep and Miata country, if you don't own both then your weird around these parts.

Posted

anyone here have any chevy LS1 knowledge?

Posted (edited)

if your going to do straight line racing 54/46 is ok if you make the back suspension soft,..if your going for road racing 51/49 is best,,at 50/50 she will push in corners because your front tires will get hotter quicker due to equal weight trying to push it straight,,and between braking and push ,,she wont turn good,..51/49 if you set the car for the corners   meaning set up for power slides as you enter each corner ,,the front will still have good control and you will fly around corners

Edited by SkyPirate

Posted

It's strictly a road race car, mostly plan on running at VIR, CMP and Road Atlanta.  I thought I had the weight distribution figured out but I got it wrong, it's hard to determine on paper.

The Miata is going to have to suffice, no budget for the "Exocet" chassis unfortunately.  I'm also going to be limited on tire size for the time being.  How about 225/50/15's being twisted by 400-450whp....  Should be interesting.

A little progress is done on the Miata Roller.  Still a LONG ways to go though.

752.jpg

doorbars.jpg

doorbars1.jpg

2012-07-29_14-11-17_326.jpg

2012-10-09_19-11-54_756.jpg

2012-10-15_09-17-53_562.jpg

Posted (edited)

A few pics of the new V8 LS1 Drivetrain and Suspension Assemblies.  Unfortunately I forgot pictures of the tubular control arms, sway bars and end links.  Oh well.  I'm hoping the Miata sheet metal can handle to torque.  V8 Roadsters recently had a chassis failure which concerns me a little

LSx3.jpg

LSx2.jpg

LSx.jpg

LSx4.jpg

LSx11.jpg

LSx12.jpg

Edited by RMendler