Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

N94JE

104 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to start a new thread with my airplane without it being named *Prop Problems*.

I built a new instrument panel, it's going to be finished up tomorrow.  The paint is drying tonight.

Any tips before I solo this Kitfox IV for the first time?  I've had some limited air time in it but not solo, I'm sure it will handle alot differently.  Just want to know what to expect.

Also tips on the new IVO IFA I installed would be appreciated.  What should be static, climb and cruise RPM's?  I know they must be different then my old GSC 3-Blade.

post-571-0-99681500-1378948669_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-23913800-1378948716_thumb.jpg

Edited by RMendler

Posted

Looking good Richard. Will there be a Dynon display on the r/side or an Ipad?

Posted

Thats an iPad mount on the left with Foreflight and Xavion.  I tested out the Xavion today and man is it cool.

The right side I am simply going to making some checklist on vinyl so I can glance over incase my mind escapes me for a moment when I'm flying.

Posted (edited)

Hey Paul if you need any Rotax 582 parts I am trying to track down a rumored source of a few used engines in Boone, NC.  Hopefully I will have a phone # by tomorrow.  All I know him by is "9 Lives" because he has had 9 accidents and survived.  Needless to say he has since left the aviation community.  haha

Also, I saw his Avid today, he has succesfully used 2 cheek radiators with no issues in his Avid B.  So I'm still unsure why yours had a 3rd radiator on the belly.

Edited by RMendler

Posted

So I flew the airplane today and I'm dissapointed.  The new IVO IFA is just not performing properly.  I think I should have gone with the Hi-Pitch blades.

At full throttle for takeoff it takes maxiumum blade pitch to keep 6,500 RPM's.  I have no more pitch increase available for cruise.  It is very frustrating.

Oh and solo and 3/4 tank, 4,000ft DA and a small headwind I can still only achieve 400-600FPM climb between 55 and 60mph.

Overall I feel like I really wasted my money on this prop.  I am going to play with it some more tomorrow and see how it goes but I am not expecting much of a result.

My EGT's in flight at WOT are both exactly 1,150 and the cylinder head temps are between 220-250.  RPM is 6,500 exactly on takeoff with full forward pitch.  If I so much as look at that prop switch the RPM's skyrocket.

And yes the tachometer has been checked and I am now using a tiny tach.

Posted

What diameter?

Posted

Richard,

Where are you based?  I keep  my KFIII in Lenior at NC27.  We must be pretty close.

EG

Posted (edited)

It's a 72" ultralight. I'm in mountain city, Johnson County Airport, 6A4. I'm in Foothills all the time.

It should only be a 20-25 minute or so flight in the Fox.  Typically takes me 13 minutes from Boone (NC14) to KMRN in a Cherokee

Edited by RMendler

Posted

How many washers do you have in there?  I pulled all the washers out and only have the teflon top out washer in my prop.

You should be able to get a lot better climb than that.

:BC:

Posted

I have no washers. I just called ivo and they said to send it back and they want me to try the medium 2 blade. Unfortunately it will cost me another $1,000. Or I can go to the ground adjust and he will give me a $500 credit. I've just been told the 2 blade sucks

Posted (edited)

Of course after I told them about my problem they won't sell me the hi pitch blades. I think that may solve my problem. They are still sticking to the story that the harmonics causes hub failures. I may end up having to downgrade to the medium 2 blade ground adjust unfortunately.  The other option is to replace the gearbox gears with 2.62:1 Ratio which I'm also not too interested in doing.

I have 3:1 ratio if anyone is wondering.

The panel is getting a little closer.  Having some small issues with the radio but it's all being ironed out.  I also installed some sweet new panel lights.  If I ever get a chance to fly the plane at night I'll get some pics up.

post-571-0-70040600-1379113051_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-30833000-1379113053_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-87002200-1379113054_thumb.jpg

Edited by RMendler

Posted (edited)

Well I flew the airplane yesterday and I had the same problem.  Max pitch is just barely enough to keep the RPM's in check on takeoff.  When I level out I have to throttle back to keep RPM's in check or I have to keep the throttle pushed all the way in depending on the wind.  So basically my IVO IFA is not adjustable.  It actually fluctuates quite a bit with just a little wind. 

The highest climb rate I saw was 700FPM at 60MPH.  Normal seems to be 500FPM at 55MPH.  I cannot seem to accelerate beyond 70MPH when I level out nor can I seem to climb any better.  Any slight change in pitch and I lose or gain speed drastically.   

1994 Rotax Greyhead, Model C Gearbox w/ 3:1 Ratio

Ivo IFA Ultralight 3 Blade- 72" w/ Standard Pitch Blades.

Edited by RMendler

Posted

I have used this prop on two different planes and have not had any issues with not being able to load the engine enough.  What are your EGTS on climb and cruise?  I will check my pitch as I level out in  cruise and slowly bump the pitch till I am turning 64-6500 RPM max straight and level, then I back the power down to 58-600 RPM depending on how fast I want to get somewhere.  This will give me a fuel burn of 5.3-5.8 GPH and 1100-1150 on the EGTs.  On a 2 stroke, you cant use the prop as you would a constant speed on a 4 stroke.  well, I guess to a degree you do, I just use the EGTS as you would manifold pressure.  Set prop pitch to give you X RPM and 11-1150 EGT's.  If you do not have enough pitch in the blades, your EGTS will go through the roof and you wont be able to keep them under 1200.

I tried the high pitch blades, and I had to flatten them out so much that it was over torquing the poor tiny electric motor and burning them up.  I went through 3 or 4 motors before I figured out what was burning them up.

In reality, you are not going to be changing pitch by a large amount.  my pitch change between take off and cruise is just a few quick bumps of the switch, but it does make a BIG difference on the take off and cruise performance, especially when I am on floats.

Posted (edited)

I will try to take a video of what's going on. I don't have any room to bump the rpm. I'm literally at the full pitch stop just to keep my revs safe. I'll keep playing with it

I'm consistently keeping egt's right at 1,150 on both cylinders with 155 mains and 45 idler jets

Edited by RMendler

Posted

one other thought.  are you CERTAIN there is not a top out washer on the pitch screw?  also check, is the nut on the end of the shaft threaded way down then the cotter pin put in?  You may be able to get another turn or two out of the threaded shaft if you run the nut up as far as you can and still get the cotter pin in it.

Posted

Not a bad idea. I will pull the prop, maybe tomorrow and take a look

Posted

I have one teflon washer on mine.  The metal washers that your suppose to use to to limit the pitch just rattled away on the shaft and ate the threads up on mine... That was not a cheap way to learn that I really don't need limit washers :lol:

Posted

I will disassemble it and see if there is anything on the shaft. I seem to recall one metal washer pre installed but my memory is not clear.

What do you do for the 2 motor wires that get pinched between the spacers? Seems like a cheap ass way to build a propeller

Posted

you just pinch the wires back in there and make sure that the isolators are in place on the bolts too!  I think it was a pretty genious way to build the prop at that time and keep costs reasonable.  ChrisB was playing with some MERCOTAC devices that would do away wit hthe slip rings and allow all the wiring to be on the engine side of the gear box (if you have a C gear box)  I was going to try it, but its one of those things I have just never gotten around to doing.

Posted

Well I disassembled the prop today. There are no washers in there and adjusting the castle nut didn't seem to do anything. On a static rpm pull the lowest rpm I could achieve was 6,350 at full pitch. Looks like its going back to IVO

Posted

Out of curiosity. What does a stratus redrive cost new for a fwf package?

Posted

Don't let them force you to buy something you don't want.

I really question the motives of the IVO sales people, sometimes.

Posted

Me too. I may give the medium 2 blade a try though. Plus with the larger tires I might be able to afford if IVO gives me a credit I can turn the 74" prop. Haha

Posted

Where is Paul when we need him?

He just got rid of the two blade medium because it didn't work well. Personally I'd stay with the three blade ultralight in the coarser pitch.

Posted (edited)

I would if IVO would sell me the hi pitch blades.  I'm going to call them tomorrow and beat them up a little.  I just want to swap out the fine pitch blades for the course pitch and some of the SS tapes.  I do think it's a nice prop overall.  Interesting design for sure.  I see alot of people are modifying them.

They are willing to give me the full amount I paid for the ultralight to get the Medium.  I don't understand why they couldn't do that for just the blades.  From my research the Coarse blades are cheaper then the Fine pitch so I'm sure they wouldnt be loosing any money..

I do have my concerns over blade movement in the hub but I have the knurled hub and I took it apart today, it obviously grabs the blades HARD because they were pretty marked up and I have made sure to torque them to exactly 200 inch pounds.  I try to be as precise as possible.  Even tested out my torque wrench on the Snap-On truck before I tried torquing those bolts.

Now I'm dealing with electrical issues, some radio problems popped up.  I'm very dissapointed in the previous owner, he used some cheap wire and let it ride against sharp metal edges (which should be smoothed and have grommets) which ate through the insulation and finally broke the wires.  Overall the electrical is a nightmare, very unorganized and confusing.  A few more hours of effort and it could have been a very nice wiring job but someone just wasn't patient enough

Edited by RMendler