Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

quarter windows

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I am getting ready to cover my avid mark 4 and I need some info on the quarter windows I have the covering pdf for the Kitfox and a generic manual for an avid but I don't see any reference on how to install them anyone have any info on this?

Thanks Bob

Posted

Mine had tabs welded into the corners of the opening and the lexan was just rivet in place after the covering was completed.  It makes it easy to change them out by drilling out 6 or 8 rivets.  There is an aluminum trim plate that rivets to the outside to cap it off.

:BC:

Posted

In my Mangy Fox project I also put in tabs.  I chose to tap them for an 8-32 screw in each corner.  I made the frame from aluminum with the plexiglass window bolted to the frame.

Here is the frame prior to the window cut out.

post-36-0-73416600-1379636390_thumb.jpg

I thought I had a better shot of the finished windows, but this is all I could find.  You can see how they work (mostly).

post-36-0-59954200-1379636397_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

The early Kitfox instructions show a very thin lexan sewed between two pieces of fabric - sounded simple, but guess it worked. So do the installations written about above.

Don't know if I will put them into mine - my old neck wont turn that far back to see them anyway!

I plan on installing a rear-view mirror so I can see the F-16s coming up on my tail!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I was gonna ask..besides looking cool what purpose do they actually serve? That area is covered up by my cargo bag on my plane.

Posted

I use the shit out of mine when looking for my flying buddies or other traffic in the area.  The larger area I can scan, the happier I am!  About 90% of the time when we are flying formation, I am watching my buddy out the right side triangle..

Posted

The early Kitfox instructions show a very thin lexan sewed between two pieces of fabric

lol on the neck turning..... were the early kitfox glued and sown? or just sown. that was kinda were I was going.... make them up  while the fabric around the windows were off the airframe and then glue the fabric and window onto the airframe as a unit...

Bob

Posted

Yes they were.  Bob has replaced his and just cut the new windows out of lexan sheet ( I think it was .060") and took them and some strips of fabric to the local upholster shop and had the gal sew the windows to the scrap fabric then he glued the fabric on when he covered the plane.

I think on the MK IV avids, they were all rivet in though.

Posted

I have two triangular vent windows with frames, hinges and latches, scrounged from a Beech - Going to someday try them to see if they can be used in my Foxy - Think there may be a set of similar windows from a Cessna or Piper in my parts pile - Just mentioning this for the possibility of someone looking for the same in the parts or airplane junkyards. Don't know if this will work or not.

EDMO

Posted

good idea Ed,..I once thought of using the latch from a mini van side window so it holds it open or closed with a couple barrels top and bottom,. of a piano hinge on the front of the window,..the  safety glass used in auto's is thicker so you'd have to put a spacer on the inside to compensate

Posted (edited)

I think it would be easy to make a lightweight latch that would work just as well - just a flat piece of stainless with offset on it and bolted thru a bushing in the lexan so it would pivot - maybe a rivet on each side of it in the tubing to make it stay where you want it latched.

Just a thought, since I have no kit or blueprints to work from - just have to keep the old brain working and use the best ideas.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Here's a  couple of better shots of my "new" quarter windows.  The outer skin is screwed to the airframe through threaded tabs in the corners.  The window is held in place by the three strips bolted through the outer skin.

From the inside you can see the front two tabs that the window attaches to and the inner strips that hold the glass in place.

post-36-0-34986000-1382402692_thumb.jpg

From the outside.  (Needs the rest of the screws, yet.)

post-36-0-51584200-1382402685_thumb.jpg

Posted

looking good Larry

Posted

I seen a plane the other day where the door was set up like a highlander. You could open just the top half of it. Has anyone done that? I'd like to be able to do that to snap formation pics. Opening the door up isn't that big of a deal but getting it closed it sometimes can be a pain and you feel the drag the for sure with the door open.

Posted (edited)

Later models of Kitfox and Avid have 1/2 of the door opening like a window - is that what you mean, or like the Cub, where top hinges up and bottom hinges down?

I think the window is better than the Cub doors, and seals a lot better.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Like the window Ed. I need to replace the plexi in my doors at some point pretty soon. I think it's the original stuff and it's starting to get cloudy.

Posted

When i replace my door windows and turtle deck with brone lexan, the top as well just leave the windscreen clear

Posted

Been there and done that - Cadillac Plastics furnish a very light bronze tint for windows - The two shades of dark bronze are too dark for windows - make good skylight tho - Had them in my Ercoupe - Love it in the summer heat - some of this is only in Plexiglas - some in Lexan - forget which, but think the very light is Lexan.

You can get colors on their site.

EDMO