rebuilding Flaperon?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone ever successfully rebuilt one of the Avid Flaperons? I have one that came apart on me and need to get it fixed so I can get back in the air and finish testing my new radiator. I am not sure where to start. It came unglued for about 2 ft of the trailing edge (builder did not add rivets and I didn't know they were supposed to be there). Also most of the ribs have come unglued from the skin on the top or bottom. It had also come unglued from the bottom of the torque tube near the inboard end as well as most of the top of the torque tube. I have tried to press the skin back down where it is supposed to be but it does not seem to fit well and wants to wrinkle or pop back up from the ribs in spots. a few of the ribs appear to be at least somewhat damaged (something melted the edges away). I am working on a flat table I built for the repairs. I have already riveted the trailing edge of the good flaperon so hopefully this does not happen to that one.

Thanks,

Dan

1 person likes this

Posted

I had both of mine separate from just sitting for over 20 years. you will need to make sure the Styrofoam ribs are in ok shape repair or replace what is necessary to make the aluminum set down nicely again. then I just applied hysol all over them top and bottom then to the leading edge and hold it all closed until it sets up. I set mine on a long 2x4 (maybe 2 I can't remember) and another on on top of it and just set lots of weight (bricks or lots of full soup cans will work fine)  on top of it to hold it all nice and tight for the whole length of the flapperon leave it set over night then just drill and rivet as was supposed to be done from the beginning. should be good as new. good luck

-Robert-

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the help. I ended up using sandbags for weight. I finished up the repair and got it back together this past weekend.

Dan