Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Snaps is back

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Im here Joey

snaps

Edited...Attached is a picture of one of Snaps many Avid creations. Look forward to hearing more from you.

post-40-0-99527300-1379942463_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Good to see you back on here.  Sweet shot, look like a great avatar pic.  If you need help setting one up, or if you even want one, let me know, I can hook you up in a jiffy!

Playing with the Avid on floats is the most fun I have with my clothes on.  This summer I gave up my trusty Full lotus (ok I still have them) and went with a set of EDO 1320's.  Holy crap what a difference in take off performance.  I can get on step easily at ahhhh, gross with prejudice :lol:

I have heard alot of different accounts of the super STOL take off against the challenger.  What engine were you really using?  I have seen posted at various places anything from the 532 to a 670 and all in between.  I know the key is SUPER light weight plane and lotsa power, but pilot technique plays a big roll also.  How many HP do you figure you have in that video?  Any super secret mods you did or was that like a dragster engine.. rebuild it every few runs :lol:

I am still working towards the 800 conversion I spoke with you about a couple years ago.  The engine and gear box are at the machine shop getting mated up.  I really hope the engine proves out on the test stand and I can get it stuffed into the plane this winter. 

:BC:

Posted

800 conversion

What is this? a rotax?

thanks Bob

Posted

Fuel injected Arctic Cat engine made by Suzuki

1 person likes this

Posted

Avid super stol in the take off competition was an old 532 which I put over 830hr on before the crank broke at osh durning the show, that's another story.

Your right about weight,and technique

A model, 390lbs with floats!!! Some of the tricks,manual start,1 coat of paint,no dual controls( 3" more leg room,lighter) floats only weigh 28 lbs each,etc

Technique , secrets

VERY INTERESTED IN HOW THE 800 works out, keep me posted

What's avatar?

Posted

Avatar is the little picture that shows up when you post. It just helps to personalize your postings.

Posted

I am interested to on the conversion do  you have any info posted on the conversion?

thanks Bob

Posted

I am interested to on the conversion do  you have any info posted on the conversion?

thanks Bob

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/77-my-new-power-plant/?hl=800

That was where the dream started :lol:  Just talked to Dave a couple days ago and it sounds like the plate has been machined, now its just getting the flywheel machined to fit my crank then I can bolt it to the test stand and see how she likes having a gear box and prop on it.  I am hoping for the ultra smooth running that is does in the sled!  Still working out the kinks on the mounting.  I will mount it upright like a KF, but I think I can get away with perhaps one small bump in the cowl to clear the plugs and pipe.  I may have to drop the thrust line down 1-1.5" but I don't see that as a huge issue.

Posted

A clutch might make life easer on this conversion,at idle no prop to turn and the engine can get up on the pipe sooner (rpm band), also removes the dreaded marmonic balance problems that we had with the cyanus and b& d gearboxes!

Nothing like a clutch for seaplane!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I agree, I loved the clutch on mine!  I did have issues with mine, but I have the parts to fix it now.  Two of the little allen head screws that hold the cover plate on the clutch backed out and rubbed on the housing grooving it and then snapping the heads off. 

I am hoping that the 800 with the stock pipe wont be too picky or "pipey" the fun part will be getting the pipe to fit under the cowl without changing the chamber length.  I have 3 or 4 800 pipes laying out of the sleds.  I will put a stock pipe on it on the test stand and tweak the prop as best as I can for good static running to set my "baseline".  Then I will cut and twist and weld the pipe to fit under the cowling and play with it till I am at my baseline or as close as possible.  I can give up a little performance due to the pipe not being "perfect" and still pull 120 HP out of it all day long... well, that is the hope anyway :lol:

Posted

How the bad word did you get the floats to come in at 28# each?  What was the float displacement?  I thought the Edo 1320's were light at 135# total with rigging.  One thing that I did notice when I swapped from the full lotus was the increased draft!  It takes over 12" to free float now when it used to take less than 4"

Were the floats your own design, or a copy?

Posted

Technique... I detected the super cub pop in there

Posted

there is a guy in Burlington VT that put a 3 in a row makes em go snowmobile engine on his trike..he claimed 120 hp used an E box with a clutch..I will try to find the link on this,..I actually called him about it years back when I was living in New Hampshire, I wanted to get an up close look at it ..but it never worked out that we could be in the same place at the same time

Posted

About 1986 I bought Chris Henizs first set of floats,aprox 750 lbs,leaked like sives, used bath tub caulking,ask for cg location/ where c/g should be, he didn't know, figure it out for yourself, we'll I did!

I started building float, using his org design improving on it, for lazair550 lbsdis, mong 750 ,renegade1000,avid 1100 and many others on special order.

Pro seal to seal, false bulkheads,025 step,bulkheads etc

The new floats for avid 12'6 " bi 24" deep ( can really rotate of the step without dragging the tails)@ 36 lbs each.

I've found out that there is nothing like being over floated

"

1 person likes this