Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question about the "widebody"

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Is the widebody modification just wider sheet metal sills welded on to allow bulged out doors? Looks like something to do if a guy is rebuilding or hasn't covered yet. I only saw a couple of pics. so not sure what is involved.

Posted

Is the widebody modification just wider sheet metal sills welded on to allow bulged out doors? Looks like something to do if a guy is rebuilding or hasn't covered yet. I only saw a couple of pics. so not sure what is involved.

Is that the one from Merle Williams?  I really thought about doing that to mine, then got in a hurry and just went back stock width.  I really wish I would have taken an extra day or two and done the mod.  Next time I have to do covering work I will be doing the "wide body" mod.  That will give you more shoulder room, but it is the same width at your ass so it is still going to be cozy.  One thing to think of is the early models were 36" wide at the back of the seat.  The C and later were 39 1/2 or 40" wide.

Posted

Yes, it looks like it was from Williams Aviation. Wouldn't be worth your trouble now that you are covered and flyng. If I buy a flying project I will do it as the shoulder room is usually what is the limiting factor. I don't mind being cozy with my wife or a stripper from the brass pole establishment but riding with some burly dude rubbing shoulders is not fun. I keep the oil stirred up in a friend's Taylorcraft while he is flying in the middle east and every time I fly that thing it reminds me that those airplanes from that era were built before they had all these fast food drive thru windows. To me it looks like bent up sill pieces welded on then the side stringers are matched up.