Cabin Heat

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I have an Avid MKIV with the standard cabin heat setup that takes air from behind the radiator using the supplied scoop. This is not working, anyone have a muff style heat setup that is working. I have been thinking about adding an opening in the cowl so that the muff gets ram air to supply the muff. Any thoughts. The engine is a 912.

Posted

Radiator in the cabin with a computer fan!

Posted

I wouldn't consider any else but a coolant style cabin heater with a 912. Mine has two computer fans on it. Comfy cabin down to zero degrees.

Posted

Hey Leni,

Can you please post a really good video/picture of your heat set up? Bryce

Posted (edited)

I was happy to go with the liquid-cooled engine heater because it eliminates the chance of a crack in the heat muff letting CO into the cabin - at least thru the cabin-heat system.

Someone has a heater listed in the for sale section on here.

The heaters I have will about melt you - but they weigh 13 pounds.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks guys I will have to consider that option.

Posted

I thought about mounting 2 Dallas cheerleaders .for heat... Ok get your mind out of the gutter :) one on the floor at my knees and the other as an ear warmer :) after thinking it out, i wouldnt be able to see to fly or run the rudder pedals, but then i thought ... Who cares!! Lol

Ok all seriousness aside , just about any compact car heater core with a couple 12 volt computer fans , if you wanted to get fancy you could even make a plenum and run duct work to the floor and or tie into any existing cold air inlets that may or may not be in your panel, the duct tubes are very light, a plenum could be built out of .016 aluminum which would also serve as the mount for the heater core

Posted

I thought about mounting 2 Dallas cheerleaders .for heat...

Ok all seriousness aside , just about any compact car heater core with a couple 12 volt computer fans , if you wanted to get fancy you could even make a plenum and run duct work to the floor and or tie into any existing cold air inlets that may or may not be in your panel, the duct tubes are very light, a plenum could be built out of .016 aluminum which would also serve as the mount for the heater core

Don't forget to run some defroster ducts to the windshield - I get real nervous when the whole thing frosts over and I cant see what is in front on takeoff.

EDMO

Posted

I never did see the weight of that (Challenger?) heater that is for sale on here.

EDMO

Posted

I priced a compact car heater core today, early dodge neon $40.00 at oriellys, in the box it weighs less then a 1 lb, about 6"x8"x1.5" thick, has 9/16's or 5/8's inlet/outlet

Posted

Hey Leni,

I have to go out to the hangar tomorrow and I will get more pics of the heat muff.  I just got the MK IV in cowl radiators set up on the plane and they work GREAT!  now to get the air scoop back on so I can have cabin heat again.

I have 2 slots cut in the dash with computer fans mounted under the dash to blow air on the windshield.  With my current set up, I will have air coming into the heat muff preheated by the air from the radiators.

:BC:

Posted

Hey Leni,

well it has been awhile, but guess what dumb ass finally got around to taking some pictures..

post-2-0-49333200-1396560597_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-93245800-1396560614_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-19848800-1396560624_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks Leni!