Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hey what happened to my RPMs !

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Guys,

I'm only on my 5th hour of 582 flying now so please bear with me.  I've pitched the prop (70in Warp 2 blade) to turn about 6100 static(TinyTac) thinking it would turn up to about 6500 or so for climb out but instead of increasing the rpm drops back to about 5900 on cliimb.  Whats up with that, I thought the rpm increased as the prop unloaded in the climb.  Think I need to take a little pitch out for a higher static rpm to get it further in the power band for T.O ?   

I have been impressed with the motor so far, just wish I didnt smell like Ive been out weed eating everytime after I fly.  Gotta work on the ventilation.

Thanks,

EG

Posted

If you are sure the tac is right, pitch it so you have the rpm you want while climbing out.  I noticed the  same thing  happened with my 3 blade Warp taper tip prop.   Jim Chuk

Posted

the smell..dash fjuel tank? or plastic header tank? my 5 is the same way ..cause..plastic header behind the seat,..soon to be aluminum :)

PS what is the ident of the field your flying at? I'm at M48 housston MO

Posted

I believe that Doug Holly and Joey were talking about the fuel lines smelling a while back - switching from the plastic to Gates barricade might stop the smell?

EDMO

Posted

Guys,

I'm only on my 5th hour of 582 flying now so please bear with me.    

I have been impressed with the motor so far, just wish I didnt smell like Ive been out weed eating everytime after I fly.  Gotta work on the ventilation.

Thanks,

EG

What fuel mix are you using?

EDMO

Posted

I'm using Pennsoil XLF with the injection. It's not so much a gas smell as a oily exhaust smell. All connections are tight and the motor is clean but I must be getting exhaust in the cabin some how. Not so much of a problem now it's still warm and I can fly with plenty of vents open but I need to get it sorted out before cold weather. I'm located at NC27 in Lenoir NC. Thx EG

Posted

First thing on your RPM...it will decrease when you climb...your loading up the engine like you are going uphill. In straight and level flight if you leave it wide open the rpms will build as the speed builds but it's not more than 3-400 rpm. You want 6200-6300 in the climb. This will give you around 6500 max in most other flight conditions.

As far as your exhaust smell it's not uncommon to suck it in from around the holes where the bungees are wrapped. If you have any light showing through there stuff it closed with some foam. With fuel lines in the cabin unless you want to put in the expensive heavy gates tubing the man perfume two stroke smell comes with the territory.

Posted

I have lived with the gas smell since I rebuilt my avid. Last week I pulled the header tank and resealed all the fittings and ran new fuel line. I have 100' of the bing blue line so I used it.. No smell anymore in the cockpit. I had put the system together using fuel lube originally, but I used the permatex aviation gasket sealer this time with much better results!

On the rpm... If your goal is stol, pitch the prop to what ever it takes to get 64-6500 on take off, if you can do that without going over 6800 wot straight n level. You may have to settle for 62-63 on take off to keep your egts in check duri g normal cruise.

:BC:

Posted

I'm at 5 hours of 582 flying also and am having the same issue. I'm really curious what your climb rate is out of lenoir.