first flight after 16 years of sitting

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Ed,

Here is the link to the PDF on the Matco site:  http://media1.veracart.com/matco/item_pdfs/3648/document1.pdf

The stock Model C brake pedals were actually worse than their 'don't do it this way' picture.  The master cylinder push rod attached at the top of the brake pedal.  The means you start off with less than a 1:1 ratio, and the ratio actually gets worse the farther you push the pedal.

I remade the pedals so the cylinder attaches to the bottom like in the picture, and extended the top as much as I could without it interfering with the firewall.  This got me pretty close to the 2.5:1 ratio they want.

When it warms up enough to go the hangar, I'll take pictures of my new pedals and post them.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Thanks Mark,  I will check out the site - I haven't finalized my pedals yet - got a set of C-150 pedals that I planned to substitute for the stock Kitfox ones, if they work out.  No problem to weld new tabs to tubes or old pedals - the C-150 pedals are aluminum, so welding may not be an option - I could change location of holes tho.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Dimi3 and Kenneth, the Avids tail dragger landing gear configuration are obviously both short coupled and narrow. Additionally, the stock brakes are not that good unless they are upgraded. So the airplane is not user friendly landing gear geometry wise and to make things more difficult, the one thing (the brakes) that would help are not as useful as they could be. Then throw in the poor operating characteristics of the Maule tail wheel on the Avid..... It's a wonder any are left! Is it impossible? Obvisiously not, but there is just very little forgiveness of any error on landing. I did a couple of things to make mine easier. First, I put on an Aviation Products homebuilders special tail wheel. My brakes are the hydraulic first generation Matcos. They're decent. In addition, tire pressure is important. On grass I run 12 psi. Which is perfect for grass. For pavement I recommend you run at least 15 psi if not more. This reduces the contact patch of the tire so they don't grab the pavement. Tires Grabbing the pavement, especially if the plane is uncoordinated, is what leads to the Avid being so squirrelly on landing and heading off for the weeds! Hope this makes sense, Bryce

Posted

well; I guess I will have to get proficient on the pavement, and get the whole landing gear upgrade done as soon as possible, but the pavement/grass difference is enormous,

I flew a super cub on grass and we did several landings on the asphalt and there were not significant differences in ground handling, it is equally difficult to control on the ground, there is nothing more frustrating than you pressing your left pedal hard and the plane turning right.

Avid never dissapointed me on the grass, very predictable and easy to get hold of it, but on the asphalt, MAN!!! is like having a different plane...

Posted

The big difference of the gentle Super Cub is its length - same with short Avid compared to stretched version.  LG is better too.

EDMO

Posted

asn was noted before, check the wheel alignment!  I have yet to see a set of gear from the factory that was straight!  99% of the time I am on gravel or grass or a sandy beach so its not as noticeable, but then I put the 30" airstreaks on I will have to align the gear for sure as one is toed out pretty bad.  I notice it on skis too but have been too lazy to straighten the gear before now..

:BC:

Posted

All great info and many things I had considered before with good perspective from each contributor. Sorry about hijacking the thread!

Glad to see another awesome looking bird take to the skies.

Posted

Back OT... Mike that is one of the nicest paint jobs and coolest paint scheme I think I've seen on an Avid yet. The color combo and contemporary curve do a super job of minimizing a fat snout and updating the decades old design. Congrats on your new toy, hope she flys as good as she looks!

1 person likes this