Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Yahoo Group

27 posts in this topic

Posted

The information there can be good sometimes, but I always hated the format.

The new format, if it is actually possible, is worse.

Posted

There's only been about 3 posts in the past 2 weeks. I think it's days are numbered.

Posted

We have had quite a few new members sign up here.  We have a ton of lurkers everyday, but the registered members are steadily climbing. 

The YH group is a lot like the other two sites... Normal grumpy old men...

This is our site :lmao:

Ours may be grumpy, but damn do we have fun too!  :lol:

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

There's only been about 3 posts in the past 2 weeks. I think it's days are numbered.

Maybe an error on your end Joey, I show recent activity and just posted there.

Posted

Maybe an error on your end Joey, I show recent activity and just posted there.

You got him there Doug... The digest from yesterday has one new topic and 2 replies.  on penetrating oil... no, not the kind you buy at the local sex shop... :lmao:

Tuesday there was 5 messages posted :snack:

The group is not really very lively and has not been for close to a year.  I used to have multiple digests a day from the group each with 20+ messages in them.  There is a lot of knowledge on the group and in the files there, but the format sucks :news:

Posted

Okay I was exaggerating on the actual post number. When's the last time you saw any real Avid tech on there besides John Larsen's awesome story? The last few topics I can think of were people selling stuff and a 5 day argument on how big of a trailer someone needed.

1 person likes this

Posted

I just did a search for John Larsen on this forum, nothing.  Someone please get him over here!

Posted

I just did a search for John Larsen on this forum, nothing.  Someone please get him over here!

I let him know we were here. Here is a link to a thread I've been updating with the history of the Avid story he's been posting on the Yahoo group.

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/2005-history-of-the-avid/

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that thread is why I want him over here.  That guy inspires me.

edit: ...and thanks for posting all that history!

Edited by Chewie
1 person likes this

Posted

Some body need to move all of the good information that Steve Winters put on the Yahoo group over here, When I first got my Avid I read that group from beginning to end and he had all of the tubing diameters and thicknesses plus a lot of the lengths for building the different models. I used them when I rebuilt my fuselageand took everything up to MarkIV specs, I know the wings weren't the only thing involved in the weight increase, so I changed spar carry throughs and strut carry throughs the only thing I didn't change was the rudder, although I have always thought that I could make the change later if I need it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I tried like hell to get Steve W. to join up over here years ago.  Seems some people don't like the site because it is not all strictly business and you all are free to talk about damn near anything you want to here as well as the Avid's or Kitfox's :lol:  Steve is one of the more knowledgeable guys in respect to those who know the idiosyncrasies of the various models etc.  John would be an awesome resource to tap into as well.

Posted

Yhaaa, but the grumpyolmen part...really

Posted

I am a moderator on the Avid Yahoo group. I used to like it a lot and spent a great deal of time learning and contributing. The format was simple and a ton of good people and information are there. Recently they changed the format and now when I post, they don't show up half the time. It's also tons slower and a buttload of advertising clogs the whole thing up. I love the people there, but the site sucks now. I wish there were a way to move all the files, knowledge and history away from there.

But I am not the creator of the site, just a moderator. One of several moderators the original creator of the site asked to do the job when he sold his plane. it would be tragic to lose all the info there, because while difficult, you can search by topic and find every conversation that was ever had and there is a lot of accumulated information and knowledge there.

But I too think the yahoo site is going the way of the Dodo if yahoo doesn't do something to clean it up and speed it up.

Chris

Posted

Chris,

Just so ya know, it was not meant to be a hack on the guys trying to run it or the mods, its just the site itself and yahoo's new found interest in making everything more difficult to use.  I know I have had hell the last few weeks and for most of this year dealing with hackers and server issues so I know how quickly you can go from a hero to a zero when the site is down, running slow, or in someway not meeting someones expectations.  I know you have contributed alot of awesome ideas and tech info to this site and it is appreciated!  But at the end of the day, the majority sees that a forum based site is alot easier to search and navigate than the old YH groups or email list.

I am working on an email option for this site so that, if you wanted, you can get a daily digest of the site activity.  A few of the guys that mod the forum software have been working on it and hope to have it up and running soon.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds like a challenge! I challenge each and every one of you to get on the Yahoo site and do a search a for a topic that helped you out along the way. Copy and paste the relevant information into a thread on here and I will sort through it and post it where it needs to go. I've already moved most of the Files into our files section but I can't do this alone guys. The info is out there it just needs people to take the time to find it and post it. Hell just tell me what info you think would be useful and I will put in my own time to extract it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I do not know how many use the enmail option at yahoo. I never have. I log on to the web and look at the posts I am interested in, just like I do on this site. I personally have no use for an email option. It would just further plug up my already over-spammed email account!

Posted

Amen to that.

Posted

I have over 8000 messages in my Yahoo account :french11: The email search function actually works pretty well. Any topics that you guys can think of off the top of your head that might contain some good tech info that I can so searching for? I went over a year without even logging in over there so I'm a bit behind.

Posted

With all of these new upgrades, No email messages are getting through to my computer, I had every fact and every one of steve Winders comments on the Avid models and their upgrades down when I stared my Avid, I am old school an wrote them all down in a note book, You could almost build a plane up to the standard that was available at that time, I Modified mine to Mark IV specifications along with a few Pursang changes but had to lose weight in order to fly it even then. I still am having problems with trying to find an instructor for tailwheel, that is my goal, I have 3 planes almost built an ultralight an Avid and A Buttercup predecessor to the tailwind, all are taildraggers, the ultralight I have more landings than I can count but I have 30 hours with instructors in cubs and Kitfoxes and they all say I need more lessons before I get a sign off, in fact I can't get them to do a Bi annual until then. My 582 is almost back together and the Avid will be ready for inspection after I get a set of tires anyhow, I am thinking a set of those Blimp tires but that gives me about another year to get in the air legally. 

Posted (edited)

I have 30 hours with instructors in cubs and Kitfoxes and they all say I need more lessons before I get a sign off, in fact I can't get them to do a Bi annual until then. My 582 is almost back together and the Avid will be ready for inspection after I get a set of tires anyhow, I am thinking a set of those Blimp tires but that gives me about another year to get in the air legally. 

I have heard about these horror story's before it is not only where you live but it is all over I don't have my private but threw the years I have flown with other pilots and took lessons from an instructor  I have not flown at the controls for a few years I have a nesmith cougar [tailwind] that is ready to fly and  I can't find anyone that can fly it..It has  40 hours on it and from the logbooks it flew very well I am rebuilding an avid so I can fly I am sure that I can find someone in the chapter that can get me through the pilot part with this airplane I have heard that some of the instructors around here will take their time before they will sign you off but sometimes I think that they are a little too picky. years ago when I was taking lessons I was with this one instructor,he was a good instructor and flew acrobatics and was quiet good at it but one day after a few hours of training we were turning on a point I though that I was doing good but he got after me pretty good because the tree I was lined up on was not the tree he wanted me to line up and then when we would come in for a landing he would always want me to land on the numbers and I had enough and said to him I am not interested in landing on the numbers all I want to do is know that I can land this airplane I can always crash on the numbers.....at that time in my life I wanted to be sure I could get the plane on the ground without crashing. The landing on the numbers would come later when I had the confidence I could land.......

Bob 

Edited by tbucket

Posted

I travelled 500 miles and took a week of vacation to attend a highly recommended tail dragger school. I was a 150 hour Cessna pilot and thought I could jump right in a taildragger no problem. The first time I tried to take off in a 65hp Champ I was quickly put in my place. I learned FAR more in that 10 hrs of formal training in the Champ about actually flying the plane than I ever thought of in a Cessna. There would be no worse feeling than spending countless hours working on a plane to go out and tear it up your first time out. We all have that yearning and dream to fly but it's one of those things that must be done correctly. My Dad almost killed himself in an ultralight after having gotten about 15 hrs of stick time and then trying to just to go for it. There are lots of tail dragger specific and light sport schools out there willing to provide quality training but chances are your going to have reach out and go find them. Even if you get your tail dragger endorsement in something like a Cub, Champ, Citabria, Scout, etc the fundamentals will be there and will help you tremendously while transistioning to your Avid/Fox.

Posted (edited)

I am a disabled Vet living on a pension from the railroad and a partial pension from the VA, I have about 30 hours with an instructor who was more interested in building his own time than in teaching me to fly, the other instructor teaches solely Light sport and I have 10 landings in a Kitfox, I don't worry about takeoffs, the landings are what I have always been concerned with, when I can plant a cub or a Kitfox directly on the numbers 10 out of ten times and grease in every landing three point or wheel, I feel that I have an Instructor who isn't interested in teaching, I should have gone to one of those quick learn taildragger schools, but I felt I would get a better education from someone who flew in the 15 knot crosswinds we normally have to deal with, no I don't feel like I am ready to land in Idaho at some of those backwoods strips, But I won't feel that way until after I have done it. There is a point where you have to give up on the instructor, mine was when I heard him snoring in the backseat when I was practicing landings, If he is comfortable enough to go to sleep on me I am wasting my time with him.

Since I got that out of my system, which of the taildragger schools did you attend, Riding in a car for 500 miles kills my back but at least I have enough titanium in it to hold everything in place now, If I can find someone who is willing to teach I am willing to learn, but I am not kidding about being able to land on a grass or concrete runway on the numbers or about my instructor snoring in the back seat of a sport cub for an hour while I did full stop takeoff and landings with the 15 knot crosswind, when I finally shut her down all he had to say was that the school didn't allow me to fly in that much crosswind.

Edited by Trackwelder

Posted

T Bucket I am surprised that no one wants to fly a Tailwind, I have plans for the Tailwind the Cougar and the Buttercup, The Buttercup is at the same stage as the Avid, or just  a little behind, I need to sandblast before I cover and complete the leading edge flaps, I am not used to riveting aluminum yet and it really is a 2 person job to skin them even just trying to run a 10 foot sheet through the English wheel is more than I can do alone anymore. With as many tailwinds as there are out there, you should be able to get someone who can fly one. Where are you flying out of that you can't find a pilot. I know that few want to teach in a taildragger, but if it is your own plane crop dusting season is over and one of those guys should be able to do it.

Posted

Trackwelder, I hope I didn't come across as snooty or anything I just don't want to see another person tear up their airplane. I can count 4 people that I personally know who have taken a brand new or rebuilt airplane out and wrecked it when their only intention was just to taxi it. Seeing my Dad laying in a pile of tubing is a memory I'll never forget. He was 100% convinced he was ready to fly. The biggest issue with these forums is there's always more to the story than most people let on. Moving on...

I attended Amelia Reid Aviation in San Jose CA. My instructor has several Stick and Rudder books published and had over 20,000 hrs in hand prop to start tail draggers. Create a profile on BackcountryPilot.org and ask if anyone from your region knows a good hole in the wall instructor. It seems the really good ones don't advertise and those guys on that site seem to really know where the good ones hide out. Your right at some point you have to cut the cord and go for it. I was scared to death during my first landing in my Avid. I was dreading it from the moment the wheels  left the ground because I knew it would be the hardest part of the first flight. If at all possible fly off of grass at first it is MUCH more forgiving than pavement.

BACK ON TOPIC I'm still waiting for someone to rise to my challenge and give me something to go digging for on the Yahoo site so it doesn't get lost forever. Come on guys I'm deployed 8000 miles from home and my family and spend my evenings in a 10X10ft cell with a roomate and surrounded by sheets hanging from 550 cord and playing around online looking at tech data and your posts is what get's me through that down time each evening. Once I get home It'll be back to my normal crazy life and I wont' have nearly the time to spend on this site.

Posted (edited)

No you came across with a correct and proper answer, but I was the one who probably was a bit out of line, But 6 months and enough money to have gotten my plane in the air and you think I could get a Biannual done or at least have the instructor at the community college stay awake while I am Flying.

If you want to add some good information, Steve Winder gave a lot of information giving tubing sizes and wall thicknesses of the different models, It was interesting reading, but he deserves his own slot over here, I would put down the tubing sizes of the ModelIV and where they are since that was the ultimate of the Avids when He was there, the Pursang was probably a bit better but Larson is putting those down in an interesting manner, If people could look at one place and see what size tubing was used in each location it would be of advantage to the people who are rebuilding their planes. Some of the information about how the stretch was a matter of taking out 75 feet of tubing and adding back, I'll let you find that answer.

Edited by Trackwelder