Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone in the NW?

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I posted a few times but I should probably write something here too.

First time builder wannabe.  I'm in Oregon, an hour east of Portland.  I fly a paramotor but would like to build something 'real'.  I would love to see an Avid first hand and chat about it if anyone is near by.

I don't have any project started, just looking and researching.  I have a PPL in a 150.  I'm tall but I fit fine in a 150, not so much a kitfox 4 or earlier.  So a nice project would be one of the plus-size avids that I can build from the ground up.  Seems like there are very few of them out there.  I can't go the kitfox route unless maybe it's a 5 - don't have $60k laying around! 

Love this forum!  I'm happy to contribute to help with the server transition.

Thanks

Mark

Posted (edited)

Mark,

Any of the Avid and Kitfox models can be modified to fit a taller pilot - some have done this by moving the skylight upwards, and I completely raised the wings 6 inches on my Kitfox clone.

Raising the skylight is not a big problem, but you still have the bars on top of the Cockpit to cope with, but you could also modify them to clear your head. SuberAvid posted some photos of his raised skylight, and I believe another builder posted photos of his.

Raising the wings means not only modifying the fuselage upper part, but also making new wing struts, because the angle and length of them changes. The controls have to be modified too.

Hope this helps.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the tips.  The biggest limitation is actually legroom, and to a lesser extent headroom.  Lots of mods I'm sure, but appropriate for a first time builder? :dunno:

Posted

Depending on the seat, a lot of guys have to put a pillow behind them.  There is quite a bit or leg room in the fiberglass seat, and I was able to let the sling seat out enough that it was toes only to hit the rudder pedals.  I am 5'11"

Unless your real handy with welding, I would not be moving the wings etc.  Raising the skylight would not be bad for the first time builder, there are lots of guys that can talk you trough it that have done it.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Depending on the seat, a lot of guys have to put a pillow behind them.  There is quite a bit or leg room in the fiberglass seat, and I was able to let the sling seat out enough that it was toes only to hit the rudder pedals.  I am 5'11"

Unless your real handy with welding, I would not be moving the wings etc.  Raising the skylight would not be bad for the first time builder, there are lots of guys that can talk you trough it that have done it.

:BC:

I totally agree Leni. The skylight mod is a whole lot easier.

The Kitfox 1 was about the same legroom as the early Avid, I think.

The Kitfox 2 had another inch of legroom, and probably same as 3 and 4?

Someone can probably tell you about the FatAvids - Airdale may have a little more - Bet Magnum does.

I am supposed to pick up a Fat-Avid / Highlander type fuselage Monday, and can measure that for you - but it may not be standard dimensions.

I'm so short that I raised the seat up about 8 inches, and the pedals toward me about 3 inches.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If you are building, it is far, far easier to lower and/or lengthen the footwell than it is to raise the overhead.

This is what my buddy did with his Avid-Kitfox hybrid. His was actually a C model avid fuselage to start.

2 people like this

Posted

If you are building, it is far, far easier to lower and/or lengthen the footwell than it is to raise the overhead.

This is what my buddy did with his Avid-Kitfox hybrid. His was actually a C model avid fuselage to start.

Wish I had thought of that - would have saved me 2 grand!

EDMO

Posted

Wasn't that footwell extension already done in the pursang and airdale?  I'd hate to reinvent the wheel if Brett has the tooling to make the kit, the jigs and everything.  If only someone could reach him.

Posted

The footwell design of the Airdale is totally different.

The mod done by my friend was very simple and easy to do. No jigging or crazy details needed. A couple of sticks of tubing, a little cutting and welding. Done.

Extending the fiberglass of the standard cowl to cover the modification would be the hardest part.

Posted

Does he have any photos?  How tall is he?

Posted

Hi Mark,

I live in the Tri Cities Wa and have two non flying Avids currently. An Avid Magnum and a Fat Avid. I have 2 friends here in the Tri Cities with 912 MKIV's. You are welcome to stop by when you are in the area and have a look. We have a fair amount of accumulated Avid knowledge in our little group here in the Tri Cities.

I will be out of town for the next week, maybe two, but will be back after that.

Chris Bolkan

Posted

Wasn't that footwell extension already done in the pursang and airdale?  I'd hate to reinvent the wheel if Brett has the tooling to make the kit, the jigs and everything.  If only someone could reach him.

You are correct Chris - but they also completely changed the type of landing gear - major change there - could be done very simply without changing the gear.

EDMO

Posted

Chris - I'd be interested to swing by!  I'll check back with you later.

Posted

Mark,

I'm back in town. Could not access this site while gone. Any time you are in the area I would be happy to show you my planes, introduce you to my two other local Avid owner friends and get you a test ride/drive in one.

Chris

Posted

Chris,

Great!  Let's chat, could you PM me your phone #?  I can possibly swing by this weekend, even if weather's not lookin up it would be worth a trip.