Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Post a pic of your gas door struts

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Looks cold ass hell! I finished up my passenger door today. It works like a charm with the McMasters struts. I will finish up the other door this week. We made a LoT of progress on my wings today. It's amazing how long it takes to cut out 30 One inch patches to cover the drain grometts. We totally finished one wing and did most of the taping on the other.

Posted (edited)

I am wondering why the steel hold-open hinge was put on the back of the doors where it would stick you?   My KF2 had the same type of hold-open on the front of the doors, but it didn't stick straight out with door closed - it was replaced with the gas shocks there.  This same hold-open was used on some windows, but still at the front.

Would there be any difference in flying with doors open with the gas strut at the front or back?

EdMO

The Magnum manual shows a catch riveted to the front spar and a latch on the door which holds the door open in flight.

I am planning on adding windows to the clear doors on the new bird - open air, but not too much.

It's a good way to test your static system too - My Ercoupe would fly 5 or10 mph faster with the windows open, according to the ASI, but not according to my chase plane.  We didn't have GPS then.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

EDMO it helps if I actually did a search eh? I did this mod in 2009. Totally forgot I did a write up with part numbers. Thanks for your help!