Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need folded wing struts

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I need some struts for the wing when it's folded.  Does anyone have a drawing for these that they could email me?

Posted

I believe there were two types of struts made - one set for the wings to tail, and another for tying the flaperons together.

These may vary by model and Brand - Post up your plane type and model.

The later manuals may only give part numbers - If my Kitfox model 1 manual will help I will check it.

I have a set somewhere for the model 1 and 2, but been a long time since I used them.

EDMO

Posted

Boat - What kind of plane?

These struts can be easily made from 1/2" electrical conduit.  The front strut from the outer (forward) spar to the lower longeron bracket.  The rear strut is only there to hold the wing in it's folded position, keeping it from banging into the tail or swinging out.

Posted (edited)

Boat - What kind of plane?

These struts can be easily made from 1/2" electrical conduit.  The front strut from the outer (forward) spar to the lower longeron bracket.  The rear strut is only there to hold the wing in it's folded position, keeping it from banging into the tail or swinging out.

I will have to go look at my wings and parts, but both of mine K1 & K2, had a horizontal tube up on the VS and the struts attach there and to the rear spar attach tab - believe one was longer than the other.

Whatever plane you have, you can design something that works - its not critical.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Boat, if it is a model 1or 2 I will get you the measurements tomorrow, the pieces were just a 3/8 inch rod on mine and you made your own clip to hold them on the plane, I wouldn't get worried about it to much, they also make a support for the front of the front spar that runs down to the strut mount if you are going to be doing a lot of trailering, for those you can measure your own plane and make something, infact you could easily do that for the rear of the wing, You wouldn't even have to weld them to build them they are just there to keep the wings from swinging into the plane or out into the other lane. 

Ed, my wife found my play money and the check came back to me, The computer decided to update itself and I can't get email

Posted

Just make sure you do it right. A guy just posted this week on the other forum who totalled his plane while towing after a wing swung out going down the highway and I know of a few others who have done the same thing. I'd post pics of mine if I was home. Are they in the manual anyplace? A full manual is posted in the Files and Forms area on here.

Posted

Manual part3 page 35 I believe shows the part at the length of the Horizontal stabilizer being attatched to the frame with an AN3-4 Bolt