Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How many hours on your 582?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

How many hours you guys running your 582's to. Mine has close to 1000 TT and 340 SMOH to new. I got it as a FWF deal with logs since new. It was maintained meticulously by another Avid builder/flyer. I rebuilt the rotary valve and water pump and tore the exhaust manifold off and inspected the pistons. I also rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump and replaced every rubber piece and fuel line on it. It has always been ran with Amsoil Synthetic. I plan on running it for a while yet before I rebuild it again. I know the 582 is a different animal but I've seen 503's ran a 1000 hours with nothing but plugs. I think 300 hours is a bit overkill on a well maintained two stroke. Opinions?

Posted

How many hours you guys running your 582's to. Mine has close to 1000 TT and 340 SMOH to new. I got it as a FWF deal with logs since new. It was maintained meticulously by another Avid builder/flyer. I rebuilt the rotary valve and water pump and tore the exhaust manifold off and inspected the pistons. I also rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump and replaced every rubber piece and fuel line on it. It has always been ran with Amsoil Synthetic. I plan on running it for a while yet before I rebuild it again. I know the 582 is a different animal but I've seen 503's ran a 1000 hours with nothing but plugs. I think 300 hours is a bit overkill on a well maintained two stroke. Opinions?

hehehe.. here we go again :lol:  There was a flight school / service center up here that had 5 or 6 trikes with 1500-1700 hours on their 582's.  They did regular maintenance, did leak checks on the crank seals and ran the piss out of them and have never had one fail.  This was the guy that made the Arctic Sparrow in flight mixture for the rotax 2 strokes.  Mr. Jacober is no longer with us due to a training accident with a student.  I talked to his 2 mechanics when I rebuilt my plane.  Itold them I wanted to do a complete rebuild on my 582 so plane and engine were  starting off fresh.  Bud litteraly got pissed at me when I would not not bring the engine up just for him to do a leak check and that I was going to rebuild with new crank etc.  He was adamant that Rotax was outa there f'n minds to say you needed a new crank every 300 hrs.  His kicker was that you had to assure you kept the EGT's under 1200.  He was very vocal about that.  I think he said the engine on his plane was at 1800 and something hrs with nothing but new seals when needed.

He told me they never had a failure that they did not know was coming.  Slight eratic running of the engine, less RPM on take off, changes in EGT temps from one cylinder to the other etc.  He said the engine will tell you when it is getting tired if you will listen to it.

With that in mind, I will run the shit out of my engine and see what happens :lol:  My personal disclaimer is, I am flying at sea level to about 2000' 99% of the time with moderate temps (may hit low 80s in the summer) so engine cooling / overheating has never been an issue.  If the engine ever does get hot, I will do a leak check on it and make sure the seals were not compromised.

:beerchug:

Posted

You all still using those "Ski-Do" engines??    :flush:

912's Rule.  :buttrock:

(...see Leni fume.)

428_007_JPGe27dde8d11ebe9907199558011658

Posted

You all still using those "Ski-Do" engines??    :flush:

912's Rule.  :buttrock:

(...see Leni fume.)

Hand over 20 grand and I'll gladly run one  :lol:

AK Flyer that's what I've always though. I've ran two stroke dirt bikes and snowmobiles since I was a wee lad and if a Ski Doo will run for 10 years at 8-9000 RPM all day long there's no reason a 582 can't go a long ways at 6500. Hell my snowmobile was just coming on the pipe at 6500. I am a firm believer though that this ONLY applies to a properly tuned engine. Run em lean or hot and suffer the consequences.  :shitfan:

Posted

rodjo that one... I justy got back from a 140 mile run, and most of it was taped to the bar at 8100... only chunked one belt :lol: