Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I'm new to this forum

7 posts in this topic

Posted

My name is John. I have owned an Avid model B STOL since 1990 and hav flow in for 4150 hours so far.

I have been through 5 different engines. 1) Rotax 532 with rope start 2 & 3) Rotax 582s 4 & 5) Jabiru 2200.

The 532 was swapped for the 1st 582 for the dual ignition feature. The 1st 582 had no starter so I hand propped it. The 2nd 582 had an E box with starter. 

I wanted a 4 stroke and installed the 1st Jabiru 2200. They had just changed to hyd lifters and the engine had many issues and problems. I had it rebuilt after an exhaust valved head popped and destroyed the number 2 piston, head rod, etc. My dealer replaced the bad stuff and rebuilt it. 

After getting it back from him I fired it up and it threw a rod. I was pissed as you might imagine. 

I contacted the dealer and he said he would provide me with a brand new , up to date Jab 2200 if only I wouldn't publish my experience on the Jabiru forum. I agreed and have been well pleased with this latest engine. I have flown it for 850 hours with nary a hick-up.

I did not build my Avid, but I have modified it to make it all that it can be.

Removed the panel tank. Don't like gas hanging over my legs. It still carries 28 gallons in the wings.

Removed the flberglass bucket seats and replaced with the sling seat

Moved the rudder peddals forward 3 inches.

Added extensions on the elevators for better pitch authority

Split the windshield. Now it has a clear .060 front Lexan and a .125 tinted top glass.

Changed the 600 x 6 tires for 800 x 6 x 21" Tundras for that back country flying.

Installed a leaning device similar to HacMan for the Bing carb.

Installed a vacuum gauge similar to that used on autos to monitor my engine health.

Installed VGs which gave much lower stall with flaperons OFF and some benefit with flaperons ON.

Installed VGs on pilot side of the vertical stab to compensate for the vert stab offset designed for the Rotax spinning the other direction.

Installed gap seals on horizontal surfaces

Installed fairings in jury struts, horizontal lift struts and tubes that go from the bungied to the axels.

Installed a Dynon D6 for those times when you wish you had gyros on board.

Installed fuel flow meter

My Avid cruises at 100-105 TAS running 2900 RPM burning 2.8 GPH. Range is about 10 hours or 1000 miles...cough...cough. Bladder range is 3 hours.

Climb is 1000-1400 FPM depending on load and DA.

The Avid was built in 1988 by Craig Johnson

John

Posted

Welcome aboard John,

Sounds like we can all learn a lot from you - Just guessing, but I think you may be the high-time Avid Flyer on here. Please continue with your input on posts here.

EDMO

Posted

Welcome John! Glad to see you on here! We look forward to your experience and wisdom. Ed yes unless there's someone hiding in Europe someplace that we don't know about John has the most time on his Avid.

Here's a few pics of John and I's plane together last year at Johnson Creek. Notice the lines on my cowling and the lines on his fuse.....

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

Posted

Welcome John,  good to have you on this site.  I think you will find it is nice in a lot of ways.  Real easy to post pictures and such.  Jim Chuk

Posted

welcome aboard John.  Post up lotsa pics, I know you have them!

:BC:

Posted

Welcome John, sounds like you will have some useful input,I guess we all have a little to offer but the more the merrier.Did you have to add much weight in the tail going to the 2200 and does it outperform the 582 by much.Thanks Randy

Posted

welcome john ,I read your testimonial on the vg site then tried the same on my plane ,the result :almost straight trim tab,thanx