Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

RK400 Clutch Install

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Finally got to the clutch on the wishlist.. Ordered and delivered. Time to install.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted

Take your time and torque everything to spec. The gearbox is one thing you want total piece of mind with.

Posted

I would have a hard time going back to flying a 582 without the clutch.

Start up and shut down are so smooth without gear box chatter.

The clutch has to make life easier on the gearbox and crankshaft.

It starts so easy (think snow machine) I would consider a rope starter to cut down some weight.

Tell us how it works for you.

Herman

Posted

Looking for "gearbox removal instructions".

Posted

its easy.  Drain the gear box, take the bolts out all around the gear box halves, split it carefully or you will tear the gasket.  take out the allen bolt on the end of the coupler.  It is inside the bottom spur gear in the gear box.  Take all the bolts off the gear box and she will come right out in your hands.  There should be instructions that came with the clutch to swap put the parts.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks!

Posted

most important , don't let it chatter, 1000rpm or whatever is idel or 2500rpm up wards

Posted

I had a hard time getting the idle rpm down since there is no longer a load on the engine, to prevent the chatter that sioux201 refered to.

I ended up machining the carb. slides on a lathe to reduce the size of the cut out which allows air for idle.

Others like Leni were able to get the idle RPM down with carb adjustments only as I recall.

Posted

I'll take all this into account. Thanks. Hopefully I'll have this thing installed by next week and will report back.

Posted

Just got done reading through the CPS teardown instructions. Do I need special pullers? How about the "fixation bolt"?

Posted

If installing the clutch involves removing the flywheel then yes you'll need a puller. I've seen guys modify existing ones to make them work. I called Rotax Rick when I did mine and he let me use his Rotax one for free. As far as the fixation pin I used the old cotton rope in the spark plug hole trick to lock the engine to break that bolt loose.

Posted (edited)

Reading the instructions a bit more carefully, I see it says a " large three jaw puller is an option".

Cotton rope trick....the old sticking valve.. Nice. What about a drill bit or pin punch? Anyone know the correct diameter?

Actually, come to think about it, I believe the previous owner gave me the little tool kit that has that pin! Now where did I put it.....blast

Edited by Deejayel

Posted

Yes you can substitute something for the fixation pin just be careful they warn in the manual about not doing it because you risk dorking up the crank. As long as it's the same size sure you'll be fine. The rope works just fine.

Posted

After I installed my clutch I had to reduce the idle jets to .45 to get it to idle worth a darn.  I probably would have been better off with one size smaller yet.

Posted

The clutch is on and it is fantastic!!!! I have 45's installed with 3 turns and could see going leaner. But for now, I'm very happy. I have her running at 1500 with just a bit of stutter. I'll continue to work on smoothing her out.

Impact driver is a must. Flywheel came of with a 3-arm puller. Found evidence of loctite on flywheel. Not cool. About broke my puller getting the thing off. Torque wrenches for assembly and some fresh gear oil.

Noticed water temps get a bit higher without the airflow?

Now I have a "turbine fox"!!!! My friends are jealous....