Build your own Avid Spring Gear document

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Here is a copy of a file on building a spring gear (Bush Gear) from the files of the Yahoo sight.

Avid Spring Gear.pdf

Posted

Thanks for posting. I edited the title to make it a little more clear so the search engine will pick it up better.

Posted (edited)

Joey,

I seem to have a problem with getting the last 2 downloads someone posted from the Yahoo site - I forget what the other one was - downloads tell me that I have to have "Office" installed, or buy it.

Any way to fix the downloads so I can get them without buying Office?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed there several free programs shareware that you can find online. I think one is called Open Office but don't hold me to that.

Posted

Yes, open office will open all the Microsoft office documents and it's free. I will try and convert the files to a PDF when I get out of the airport and in the office. Then you can open them no problem.

:BC:

Posted

Converted.....Sorry I wasn't aware not everyone couldn't open a word doc. Ed do you remember what the other one was so I can fix it too?

Posted (edited)

Converted.....Sorry I wasn't aware not everyone couldn't open a word doc. Ed do you remember what the other one was so I can fix it too?

Thanks Joey and Leni - I will tell my daughter about "Open Office" and see what she can do.

The other site / download came from the Yahoo site and somebody posted it - I will have to look thru last few days or last week posts to find it - Cant remember what - but know I was interested.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I think that was a weight and balance spreadsheet.

Posted

Paul,

Thanks for the write up!

Can you tell me how the gear performs? From my mechanical mind and people I've talked to that run spring type gear, it sure seems like a better way to go than bungees.

Is there any way to reinforce the lower longeron so that it wouldn't twist/break and be able to run a slightly thicker gear for really rough stuff, or are guys not having this issue too much?

Posted

I cant vouch for this gear as it was a home brew (and probably more robust than the others) but the guys that have been running the highwing and the Airdale "bush" gear have bent birds... damn near every one of them.  When the springs compress on a bounce, they bottom out... when you go metal to metal something has to give and its normally the fuse.  I think if there was a dampener built in or if rubber disks were used instead of springs like the super cub AOSS gear the problem would go away... or if a longer spring with less turns on it was used to give more room between the coils so they wont bottom out that would work also.  The other factor is that they are built using a straight pull from side to side.  If the center point was lowered on the cabane vee like the cub gear is, it would distribute loads much better according my geek engineer buddy that looked at the design.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Leni,

I've been thinking of the lateral forces as well and I would definitely have a deeper V to the cabanes to change the moment of force. It seems a lot of what I'm seeing would twist the fuse tubes down and out instead of pushing up and against the ladder built up inside the structure. Of course this is all from looking at pictures and not being able to put my hands on it to really get a good mental picture of where the forces are being applied. I'm sure there is a much better solution to it all actually, just would have to sit and stare at it for a while until it talked back to me.

Forgot to mention that I would use two springs and have a bit more travel to one if I built it. Progressive springs like on an off road car/truck or motorcycle would seem to be much more ideal that one set with VERY limited compression movement.

Edited by lostman
1 person likes this