Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

wingtanks.com

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I recently purchased a avid mk4 that was partially built in 1999 then sat until now. from  what I have read the wing tanks should be replaced so i  have decided to buy the wingtank.com tanks the only problem is I haven't been able to get in touch with them through email is their a phone # that any of you have, or am I just excited and to impatient thanks looped

Posted (edited)

I recently purchased a avid mk4 that was partially built in 1999 then sat until now. from  what I have read the wing tanks should be replaced so i  have decided to buy the wingtank.com tanks the only problem is I haven't been able to get in touch with them through email is their a phone # that any of you have, or am I just excited and to impatient thanks looped

I have three questions for you:

1.  Have you tested the tanks and do they leak?

2.  Can you buy non-ethanol gas or use 100LL and Decalin?

3.  Would you consider paying $40 per tank to slosh with Caswell if they leak and see if that works for you?

These are considerations before paying a lot for new tanks.

Amienoel just bought tanks - you can ask her where.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

There is another option: new tanks are available for your plane made by the same company that makes them for Kitfox. Airdale has these.

Airdale is Wingtanks.com which is why you are having a hard time getting an answer. (Unfortunately).

We are again trying to reach out to Brett to offer help to him to rectify this problem of his. But that's a story for another place.

Posted

thanks for the reply's ,Ed to answer your questions, the tank dosent leak ,I would like to run fuel from the gas station.i have not considered caswell, have any of the members here used it and what were their results . thanks looped 

Posted

thanks for the reply's ,Ed to answer your questions, the tank dosent leak ,I would like to run fuel from the gas station.i have not considered caswell, have any of the members here used it and what were their results . thanks looped 

As far as I know - no members writing here have used it on their tanks - but some have suggested it.

It is sold on the motorcycle market for sealing metal tanks - if it sticks to steel and aluminum, then it should stick to fiberglas, I am guessing.

My tanks are unused, in the wings already, and I think I will at least slosh the main 2 of the 4 tanks with Caswell before covering- but that will be a while yet.  Hoping to hear some reports before that time.

Have you looked for non-ethanol gas in your area?  I forgot where you are located - I have it in Missouri, but definitely hard to find.

The Kitfox tanks are now made from Alcohol RESISTANT epoxy - Mine were made by Ron's Fiberglas, the Kitfox supplier long gone, and are the old epoxy.  You could buy tanks from Kitfox for models 1-3 and they should fit your Avid, as Kitfox is a clone of the early Avid.

Amie said "Rob"? was building her tanks - I don't know who that is.  You could send her a PM.

EDMO

Posted

I put the Caswell in my tanks when new before installing them. Results unknown, I burn mogas that is alcohol free in my 912. Using the Caswell phenol novolac epoxy in tanks that are installed in the wing would not be an easy tasks but it is doable. With the tanks before they were installed I was able to see that I had complete coverage but that is not possible once they are in the wing. I have no worries about alcohol in the fuel if I am forced to use gasohol sometime in the future.

Posted (edited)

I put the Caswell in my tanks when new before installing them. Results unknown, I burn mogas that is alcohol free in my 912. Using the Caswell phenol novolac epoxy in tanks that are installed in the wing would not be an easy tasks but it is doable. With the tanks before they were installed I was able to see that I had complete coverage but that is not possible once they are in the wing. I have no worries about alcohol in the fuel if I am forced to use gasohol sometime in the future.

Thanks Paul for the info,

I figure the $80 it will cost for two tanks is a lot cheaper than replacing them or burning 100LL and Caswell, which I can do with my Soob.  Or, use moonshine in the Caswell tanks and see if it holds up?

If I need more gas and cant get alcohol-free, then I can go to 100LL in the extra tanks, or mix it with what Mogas I have in the tanks.

Give me a shout if you get a leak in yours in the future.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I do have some of the phenol novolac epoxy that has been soaking in gasohol for over two years now without any signs of problems but that is to be expected as this epoxy is well tested.

Posted

today I ordered some wing tanks from ridge runner. I talked to stace he was very informative and helpful, for anyone looking for wing tanks these seem to be a good option,  thanks for all your replys  looped

Posted

I am using Stace's tanks to. He is real nice to deal with. I think he would build parts for the Avid's also.

Posted

Paul,

It might help me and others to know what the viscosity of the Caswell is - Is it close to water or closer to thick epoxy?

EDMO

Posted

It is maybe a little thicker than West epoxy so I would say medium epoxy. It will flow fairly easy.

Posted (edited)

It is maybe a little thicker than West epoxy so I would say medium epoxy. It will flow fairly easy.

One more question, or Three - Did you rattle screws around in the tank first?  How many and did you get them all out?  Should the screws be stainless pointed type in case some are left in the tank?  I know that method is also used on aluminum tanks.

Thanks,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I did do the screw shake thing and just used sheetrock screws. I also used a quick slosh of acetone a few minutes before the epoxy. If the tanks are mounted in the wings already I think that I would forego the screw thing because it would be hard to get them all out.

Posted

I did do the screw shake thing and just used sheetrock screws. I also used a quick slosh of acetone a few minutes before the epoxy. If the tanks are mounted in the wings already I think that I would forego the screw thing because it would be hard to get them all out.

I am guessing that the acetone probably did more to make it stick to the fiberglass than the screws.

Thanks for posting the info.

EDMO