Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

rotory valve

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Can someone point  me in the right direction? I have a 1989 rotax 587 engine that I want to do some changes on I am wanting to change the rotary valve cover out and use a the dual carb setup like the 582 I am pretty sure that this will work but I need someone to verify this or tell me no it won't work 

Thanks Bob

Posted

as long as the rotary valve shaft is long enough to go through and hit the oil pump I dont think there would be an issue.  Are you using this on a plane?  The crank has external threads and it is really only a 580cc. 

:BC:

Posted

A while back I read something on the internet where a guy was using this motor

on a Kitfox or Avid.

Iv'e been trying to find the site to post it for you but as of now haven't found it.

I do remember he was using the carbs from the seadoo.

If I remember, that motor doesn't have a water pump, but uses water pressure from

the jet unit???

Posted

I was looking at maybe using it on the avid I know that the engine crank is threaded I am thinking that all of the parts from a 582,583, will interchange I got the complete motor for $150.00 it is a prov 8 case with a starter and flywheel on it which makes it attractive for me using a c box the engine is built with low compression [app 6 to 1] to run on regular gas I will change the head and pistons/cylinders  to bring the compression up n stock form with 1 carb the engine is 56 hp at 5,750 rpm and with the dual carb setup 61 hp the carb that is on the engine [stock] is a BN-38-24 [series 38-24mm] so I don't think I am to far off the mark for the 65 hp that the 582 is at.any info and comments is greatly appreciated

thanks Bob

Posted

If I remember, that motor doesn't have a water pump, but uses water pressure from

the jet unit???

that is true it does not have a water pump it looks like the rotary valve shalt on the 587 does not have the extra length to mount the impeller on I am thinking that a 582,583. shaft will fit...... 

Posted

can you post some pictures of the engine?  Is there even a spot to mount the water pump and get it plumbed in or are you going to have to use an external pump of some sort.  I would think you would be money ahead to just start with a 583 if your going to have single ignition anyways...

Posted

can you post some pictures of the engine

yes I can I have some pictures from the web but my engine is the same the engine will los some weight by changing the exh and intake all comments are appreciated good or bad

thanks Bob 

post-551-0-88957200-1384717521_thumb.jpg

post-551-0-46966200-1384717522_thumb.jpg

post-551-0-97419200-1384717600_thumb.jpg

post-551-0-84786100-1384717601_thumb.jpg

post-551-0-11566700-1384717702_thumb.jpg

post-551-0-71924700-1384717702_thumb.jpg

Posted

me thinks your kinda screwed.. its POSSIBLE, that an aftermarket shaft and pump from Joe Grahek (find him on barnstormers) MAY work for you, but I am not certain.  You could call him and see.  I would still be thinking about the single ignition and the other issues you have to deal with in the conversion that may not make it quite so appealing.  But hey, I am not gonna be the guy to say don't try it as I have an engine conversion in the works myself! 

Posted

me thinks your kinda screwed....

not a problem..... I have always enjoyed building hot rods.... some of my builds was 23 tbucket with a small block chevy,tunnel ram with 2 4's then I changed the small block out to a 91 tpi motor I used the ecm and reprogrammed the chip had a lot of fun with the tbucket built camaros and a vega with a 350 small block and a 4 speed built some custom bikes, so don't care to jump in and ck the water out ,,,,

post-551-0-42113700-1384727553_thumb.jpg

post-551-0-15852100-1384728619_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

by the way ak how is your adapter coming along I still interested in the arctic cat engines.....