Status of Airdale

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Is anyone aware of the current status of Airdale LLC? I have been trying to get a hold of Brett to get a cowl for my Flat Avid. He has not returned emails or call messages. Yesterday I called again hoping that maybe the squeaky wheel gets the grease. This time his message machine did not allow me to leave a message. it only said call back later. This is very frustrating. I know I am not alone in my frustration, but my purpose here is not to create animosity.

I just want to know is he still in the business of providing parts to us? if he is I can only hope he will EVENTUALLY return a call or email.

If he is not I need to know so I can move on.

Is there anyone on this board who knows him and can let me know?

Chris Bolkan

Posted

Hey Chris,

I've tried as much, no luck.  Sometimes I'm able to leave a message, other times no.  Two numbers I have:  715-369-1343 and 715-360-1343.

Maybe someone who lives near him can pay him a visit and ask WTF.

Mark

Posted

I may just run up there tomorrow.  He is about 30 miles away from me and has some parts I need to retrieve off my project plane.

After I have my parts in hand I will have some pointed words with Brett.  I and sever others have offered to help him answer emails, ect., but he doesn't want the help.  (the last time I spoke to him, nearly a year ago)

I'll let everyone know what I find out.  I can't say I have high hopes any more.  Sorry.

Posted

Best of luck! I hope it goes well for all of our sake.

Chris

1 person likes this

Posted

I saw Brett today and got my parts.

I again offered to help with communications and he is thinking about it.

His story is one of ongoing family issues and tragedy all this past year, which I won't go into, other than to say it is true and was quite a slog for him personally. I don't say this as an excuse for him, but that is his story. He told me he is hoping to catch up with his message backlog in the near future and reorganize the business going into the new year as a fresh start.

I wish him well, but fear he has such a damaged reputation this may be impossible, now.

Posted

I don't know Bret but sometimes when a personal tragedy comes it will affect you for a long time I know because of experience.It took me a couple of years to recover from it. so give him some space to get his feet back on the ground  I am not asking for pity for me... just give him some space and help him to get back on track

thanks Bob

Posted

Thanks for this update.

Posted

Yeah, I was not aware that he has extenuating personal circumstances.

The good news to me is that he is still there and does plan to continue when he can. I can wait a while. All I wanted to know was is he still there or not?

It appears he is. I am satisfied for now and can wait.

Thanks for the update!

Posted

Most people didn't know. I'm not saying that he should have made an announcement of a pity party, but for gosh sake he could respond to his messages saying something to the effect of having a personal situation and Airdale is on hold for the next six months. Just a simple statement like that would have done a million miles of difference in his perceived reputation...

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Most people didn't know. I'm not saying that he should have made an announcement of a pity party, but for gosh sake he could respond to his messages saying something to the effect of having a personal situation and Airdale is on hold for the next six months. Just a simple statement like that would have done a million miles of difference in his perceived reputation...

Afterall, isn't this a reasonable expectation for any of us in our careers and what have you that involve others. It's not like tragedy only visits some of us. For Christ's sake - we ALL have tragedy visit our our lives at least once; yes? ......come'on already!  

I sort of figured this was the issue. Kudos to those who offered to help the guy out and I hope he get's it together for his sake.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

If he is not able to get back into business, I would be interested in buying the jigs and whatever rights he has, I am Medically retired, but not by choice, I would love to have a side business that I could turn into something better, I wish him the best of luck, but I hope he keeps my offer in mind.

Posted

He told me he is hoping to catch up with his message backlog in the near future and reorganize the business going into the new year as a fresh start.

Alright, it's the new year.  Any news from this guy?

I'm interested in building an Airdale or Pursang.  Should I keep knocking?

Posted

I don't know what to tell you other than don't hold your breath on either of those being available any time soon.  If you are looking to upgrade an existing Avid, look for a started kit to finish.  

If you are starting from scratch, I would highly suggest going with a more established company that will support you in your building like Kitfox or Just or …??

Posted

If he is not able to get back into business, I would be interested in buying the jigs and whatever rights he has, I am Medically retired, but not by choice, I would love to have a side business that I could turn into something better, I wish him the best of luck, but I hope he keeps my offer in mind.

If Brett didn't want to actively continue with Airdale anymore I sure would like him to work out a deal like this.  It sounds like a win/win/win for Brett, Trackwelder and all of us!

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think he follows this forum, I hope he doesn't just call an end to the Avid line of aircraft, it is so close to being an aircraft that could go LSA that I would like to see it continue. I know the Kitfox has made it through some tough times, but the right salesman could bring the Avid back into todays world.

Posted

I emailed him several times asking to aquire the business so we could get it back up and running. He emailed me back about a month ago stating that he has no interest in selling any part of the company. I find this very sad as he is single handedly killing the brand.

Posted

I think he is a member here, Joey or Leni can probably tell us if/when he has been logged on lately.  I doubt it.  I mentioned to him issues on the Yahoo board, to which he didn't show much interest in dealing with.

I don't know what process he is using to acquire the work he is doing.  It certainly isn't via the phone or email…   :blink:

Posted (edited)

Don't think it would take too much to rig up copy or similiar tooling - like Kitfox and others did - You could supply everything needed as a "Wildcat Flyer" or whatever you wanted to call it, and sell them to Avid customers who cant get them from Airdale.   I hate to see it go that way, but Brett has some problems, and that don't help those who need parts or want to build.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I think he is a member here, Joey or Leni can probably tell us if/when he has been logged on lately.  I doubt it.  I mentioned to him issues on the Yahoo board, to which he didn't show much interest in dealing with.

I don't know what process he is using to acquire the work he is doing.  It certainly isn't via the phone or email…   :blink:

Brett Joined here May 2011 and the last time he logged in here was Feb 1 2013.  He has not made a single post here.

:nochug:

Posted

Wow. It isn't looking good for Brett. I need a cowl. Sure hope the Airdale cowl Ron Smith can make will work with the Fat Avid. He is checking with Jerry Mattison to see what light he can shed. There are two fronts for the mold and at the very lease I need to know which is intended for the 912 engine.

Chris

Posted

After a conversation I had today with a friend regarding his attempts to get a fuel tank from Brett, I have even less hope for the viability of Airdale.

Posted

Like I said I would love to try and Buy the jigs and patterns even at something just above scrap price at least he would make something from them, I don't understand the people that can sit on something useful rather than at least put an Honest price on it so people can attempt to keep it going, I have more time than money, so I might not be able to pay enough, but if he would give a price I could at least try, I have time that is going to waste, but a bad back that keeps me from holding a regular job, volume of business isn't a big factor for me, I can build most parts now, but to make certain they interchange I would like to purchase the jigs, maybe even work out a time payment or percentage, that way we could keep parts available and he would make some money, I hope he will at least talk to me, Even renting the stuff would be worth me while, I would travel a couple of hundred miles to be able to build a Fat Avid/ Airdale Flyer and try to sell some parts to keep it afloat. Either that or to borrow a fuselage to make a copy of the pattern from so I could duplicate the parts.

The wingtanks would take the most money to duplicate, but I built a rotomold oven in college from recycled Ovens and could build tanks with the same type of setup, the cowl would take a mold that could also be made from another persons plane, if I had access to one I could build the molds, The Airdale isn't that complicated as aircraft go, it is just a matter of having access to something more modern than a Model A to make the patterns from.

Posted

Eric,

Seems people get the most information out of Brett when talking to him in person.  Would that be an option for you?  I'd be all for it if you took over the jigs.

Mark

Posted (edited)

He has been slammed enough here, I will try and reach him again and will let you know if we have come to an agreement, If anyone else is able to do the same let us know, I have not had much luck reaching him so far, but there is no use trying to air it out here, I always had better luck reaching him by email, but have not been able to get this offer to him yet. I will let you know if I can bring Airdale back when I have reached him.

Edited by Trackwelder
1 person likes this

Posted

I am considering just building my own fuselage.  I have MoHawk and Raven plans, and information I obtained sometime back from Steve Winder about the design changes that brought about the Avid+/FatAvid. 

I think I could use all of this information plus more I have compiled and come up with a great setup like I want.  Certainly not an easy route, I was hoping to consider something from Airdale but I don't see that happening, at least not anytime soon.

Hopefully the ultimate outcome will not be another loss to the homebuilt / kit world, and whatever the case I wish Bret the best, I am sure he would rather things be different at this point.  The longer this goes on though, the more skeletons that will hide in the closet at Airdale and even if someone does move on with company, it will take some time to clear that before any progress forward can be made.