Status of Airdale

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Where are you located?  I have a fuselage that would save you a lot of time and money even if you just used the cabin to tail part of it.  with a slight modification, it would take Avid / Kitfox wings.

This could even be used for a pattern to make fixture to build fuselages to sell.  Somebody could tool up and make a "Renegade" using Avid/Kitfox wings and parts, hopefully starting a business to supply builders.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I also have a mark 4HH fuselage, in need of repair, $500 come get it

Posted (edited)

The one I have is going to be put out in the weather next week - no room in shop for it, and wife don't want a yard ornament - If nobody wants it by summer, I will have to cut it up and scrap it.

$200 obo.  A shame to waste - about $2500 in tubing and welding to build it.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

how about a picture of what you have Ed.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Leni,

Thought I had posted a photo before - maybe senile?  Width at shoulders is 48 inches - length from firewall to aft of VS is 17 feet.

Cabin back has been protected by paint - Cabin forward painted but shows some rusting - needs blasting - crosstube for wings are about 1/2 inch too far apart for standard wings, and should be replaced with heavier tubes.  Cabin forward tubes are heavy - weight 110 lbs. - Cabellas seats included -  SkyPirate built it.

Photo attached - Wish I had this before I built my fuselage - would have a bigger, better plane.  I've got over $4000 in my fuselage because I had to hire some major welding after the Docs told me to quit welding.

EdMO

post-399-0-02989200-1392411986_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Sioux 201 (John?)  Can you send me some pics of that fuselage showing the damage to it?  avidflyer@wildblue.net  is my email address.  Also,  where are you located?  Thanks,  Jim Chuk

Posted

Leni,

Thought I had posted a photo before - maybe senile?  Width at shoulders is 48 inches - length from firewall to aft of VS is 17 feet.

Cabin back has been protected by paint - Cabin forward painted but shows some rusting - needs blasting - crosstube for wings are about 1/2 inch too far apart for standard wings, and should be replaced with heavier tubes.  Cabin forward tubes are heavy - weight 110 lbs. - Cabellas seats included -  SkyPirate built it.

Photo attached - Wish I had this before I built my fuselage - would have a bigger, better plane.  I've got over $4000 in my fuselage because I had to hire some major welding after the Docs told me to quit welding.

EdMO

Ed,

Your an Alaskan; that's what blue tarps are for.

Posted (edited)

Wife is NOT Alaskan - Don't Love Airplanes - Wants sterile yard -  I will still keep her around - good cook - and knows that my bird is going to stay - with or without....This one has to go to a good home somewhere.

And, I've still got a Kitfox 1 clone fuselage and parts hanging in my shop that I don't need either.

I'm just too old to take on another project - be lucky to finish and fly the one I am building.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Over 7 months since last post in this thread. Is there any update on the status of Airdale?

Posted

From conversations at Airventure other people had with Brett, he is still in business and is busy as ever.  With what I have no idea...

I can't comment to any of this because it's second hand, but I can't get ahold of him, either.  My only way is to just go over to his house hoping he's there (30 miles away from me).

Posted

I recently bought an Avid and Brett is building me a bush gear, and providing a tail wheel assembly and spring. His communications are spotty but he always gets back to me in a couple days.

Anyone interested in a nose gear and standard landing gear?

Posted

I'm very happy to hear that, Gold.

We all want him to succeed, but sometimes I wonder...

Posted

Goldendale Flyer,

Try listing your nose gear and standard main gear in the "FOR SALE" section on this site - someone may want them.

EDMO

Posted

Over 7 months since last post in this thread. Is there any update on the status of Airdale?

Congrats on your new toys Colonel, you got one hell of a bargain IMHO! Russ talked me out of an extra set of door latches to use on that plane, I think he still owes me a beer though...

Posted

Well I ordered a set of Bush gear from him. Talked to him on the phone. Seems like a nice fellow. But he is way short on communication. It took almost 3 mo to the day I made a Paypal payment to him. The gear looks line. Cleaning and deburring it now as it sits on my work bench. Nothing personal against him, but like I said, a bit more communication would go a long, long way. I was considering a new kit as it is so much more advanced but I have to reconsider....

Posted

For the record: Brett IS one of the nicest, most helpful people I know.

He is also probably one of the worst businessmen I know, too. By that I don't mean dishonest or crooked, just really, really bad at communicating.

Posted

I was visiting with my Dad today and he mentioned he had gotten a call back from Brett regarding a stretch kit. He had just left a voicemail last week.

Posted

Brett supplied my seat truss upgrade, I beam spar stiffener, mark 4 manual and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember. Always treated me well and no problems. This was a few years back.

Posted

I'm the !($#* new guy here, definitely ain't made my bones yet, but I will make an offer to help with something he may need or want. I'm reasonably good with advertising, promotions, business communications, business and contract proposals, brochures, instruction manuals, web content, sales materials, etc. Anyone with way too much time on their hands can see samples of all this stuff at my writing services website www.grantstar.net

The consensus seems to be that the owner of Airdale is a good guy, means well, and wants to stay around. The consensus also seems to be that he's not good with communications, and may need some business assistance. Within the parameters of what I'm good at, I'd be happy to offer some pro bono help with any of his written materials, ad/marketing/sales written stuff, general business communications, etc. I'm a fairly good salesman, and someone had made a post in this thread along the lines of "with the right salesman..."

However, I don't know him, he doesn't know me, and we're about 1500 miles apart. So I'll leave it up to the wise old elders of this forum, and people who know him, to determine whether any of this would (or should) be of interest to him. If this offer is over-stepping or inappropriate then please someone let me know so I don't insult or embarrass anyone.

This offer would also extend to any person or persons who buys Airdale, or goes into business building parts, kits, or airplanes related to the Avid/Kitfox series.

1 person likes this

Posted

Being a small businessman myself, I've offered to help him several times pro-bono on messages, phone work anything he needs.  I know Brett and he knows me and I live 20 miles from him.

He said no, thank you.

I invite you to follow up on your offer.  Maybe he would be interested in help from someone from your neck of the woods...

1 person likes this

Posted

THe unfortunate situation, I believe, is that he gets little support for the business at home. From what I've seen its as though his wife doesn't see this as a real business only playtime in the shop for him. Brett is deathly afraid to grow the business at all, which is what is required in order to make it work for real.

He does what he does and that's all he wants to do.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry to hear that, but I understand completely.

Posted

I consider Brett a friend.  I truly wish he would accept some of the help offered by so many people...

1 person likes this