Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

BCP

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm probably gonna get the smack down over at BCP.

Guys are going on and on over the $175,000 Carbon Cub and how awesome they are.  I personally saw, this last summer at OSH, one of these things - flown by a company pilot - get completely embarrassed by a ratty old Kitfox IV-1200, not to mention the new Just Super STOL.

I just can't comprehend why anyone would spend upwards of $175K on a 1930's tech Cub with a little carbon in it to try and keep it light.  Not to mention the $240,000 small penis compensator that Joey pointed out.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

I gotta go with ya on this one.  How many 240K CC have kicked ass at Valdez?  Or any other STOL competition?  I am amazed that people will actually pay that much effin money for a 2 seat 100 MPH plane.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I actually had an interview with those guys in Yakima.  They're selling to someone because that was a nice facility they got there.

Don't worry, in 50 years the IV-1200 will be the new idol.

PS - totally agree, bad investment.

Edited by Chewie

Posted

Whew Larry you got S12 Flyer fired up there and he's an experimental guy. He must wish he could afford one. Sure they are nicer but it's just like when I am up in Idaho sitting on the top of Mile Hi. I am doing the same exact thing the guys in the 100K Maule M-7's and 185s on 31's are doing and my whole plane costs less than their prop did and I burned up less fuel in my entire weeks trip from CA to Idaho as they do in one day of playing out there. Unless your filthy stinkin rich it makes flying a whole lot more fun when your not constantly staring at the fuel flow and wondering how much money this flight is costing you. Plus I'm convinced that you haven't really flown until you've gone at least 500NM in a single day at less than 100mph. Throw a two stroke into the mix and well.... lets just say I don't need a 200K plane for the reason Larry mentioned in the first post..hahahaha :lmao::bugeyes::bartmoon:

2 people like this

Posted

Yeah, I was kinda surprised to see S12 get fired up over that one.  I am thinking that CC is a big contributor to the site so the guys are gonna defend it to the biter end.  Reason # 5498702 that I don't take advertisers or manufactures contributions on here (not that any manufacture has ever approached me :lol:  )  We are free to call it like we see it.

Joey, you better get the wifes car done before you start upgrading the plane or you just may have that issue!  Don't wanna have to call you Bobbit! 

:lmao:

Posted

While I agree that they are expensive, they are awfully nice planes. I toured the facility a few years ago with the flying farmers. (Im not a farmer, but have friends who are) We all flew up in our planes for a tour of the facility and it was incredible. They have a state of the art manufacturing facility and Quality control second to none. You might not like the value proposition of the planes, but there is no denying they probably have the best airplane manufacturing facility anywhere...period. I work for a company that manufactures high tech high quality neurodiagnostic medical devices and their facility and QC put us to shame.

My dream plane is the Highlander SuperStol.

Chris

Posted

Everyone has their "dreams" - If your money is unlimited - which I have never dreamed - then you can own a nice 15 karet orange piece of glass for a lot of million$, or some really UGLY paintings that just sold for $142 million, or a $240K experimental, or a $10K homebuilt to take you away from the rat-race to your place of enjoyment.

For some, the joy is not in the "buying", but in the "doing", like the guys that get the most out of the flying they can afford.

Then, there are a very few that aren't happy with what someone else has designed, and spend all of their time "rolling their own".

IMO, to each their own, to fly away with their dreams and joys, and not to be judged by others.

EDMO

Posted

My father was with me when I bought a Cessna 140 as my first plane. The seller had bought a PA-18 so the little Cessna had to go. During the purchase we were chit-chatting when the seller mentions this, and the response from my father was, "Eh, they're a little over-rated. Shoulda spent your money on something else". The seller was a little taken aback. I don't think that he had ever heard someone say something bad about a cub before. And my father was not really knocking the cub on it's abilities, just the price that people pay for them.

I guess that if you can afford something like a carbon cub, knock yourself out. It would be interesting to see how much money the factory makes from selling a new plane; probably not as much as one would think. 

There's a carbon cub parked at the gravel strip at Merrill Field. Nice looking plane, but that's alot of money to leave sitting outside. A person could probably buy a mid-level cub and the hangar to put it in, for less than a new carbon cub.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to fly something like a carbon cub. But for some reason I think that Avids, Kitfoxes, Zeniths, etc are a little more interesting.

-Nate

1 person likes this

Posted

It would be interesting to see how much money the factory makes from selling a new plane; probably not as much as one would think.

With an office full of mechanical engineers, very nice lobby, and a production floor that definitely had some process control and quality, the factory's plant had a lot invested in it, and all that costs $ in the end product for sure.  It was basically a JV version of what I saw at Quest up in Sandpoint.

Why they put all that effort in a cub ... in Yakima?!  I think someone was thinking how can they sell the simplest craft to the highest market at the lowest cost. 

Posted

My wife and I looked at this plane at Oshkosh in 09. Somebody has way to much money. Did not impress me at all.

post-56-0-05714500-1385077638_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

What i want to say, but Im going to let it die, is:

The Carbon Cub is a 1320 MTOW (400 useful), 100 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $175,000

The Highlander SS is a 1320 MTOW (450 useful), 110 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $100,00 - that will totally embarrass the CC in performance

The Highlander is a 1320 MTOW (500 useful), 100 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $80,000

The Kitfox SS is a 1320 MTOW (500 useful), 120 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $75,000 ($89,000 SLSA)

The Kitfox IV is a 1200 MTOW (500 useful), 110 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $40,000

The Avid Mk IV is a 1200 MTOW (500 useful), 90 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $30,000

WTF?

2 people like this

Posted

C'mon Larry, have a few good drinks then post that shit up on bcp.. I think the big reason they are pushing the cc so damn hard over there is so Zane can get great rental rates on one.... Stir that pot up mr! :BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Why do you think I've owned 3 Avids? They are the best value/performance (and pretty darn cool too) proposition going!

Plus just about the nicest and most supportive group of people going own them!

Chris

2 people like this

Posted

well... you must not be talking about the fellers 'round these parts.. supportive, yep for the most part :lol:    Nicest :dunno: about that!  :lmao:  But your right.  Bang for the buck, for what we normally do, its pretty tough to beat the Avid or KF. 

Posted

The Carbon Cub is a 1320 MTOW (400 useful), 100 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $175,000

The Highlander SS is a 1320 MTOW (450 useful), 110 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $100,00 - that will totally embarrass the CC in performance

The Highlander is a 1320 MTOW (500 useful), 100 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $80,000

The Kitfox SS is a 1320 MTOW (500 useful), 120 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $75,000 ($89,000 SLSA)

The Kitfox IV is a 1200 MTOW (500 useful), 110 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $40,000

The Avid Mk IV is a 1200 MTOW (500 useful), 90 mph, light sport, two seat plane.  $30,000

WTF?

I need to have this framed and posted on the wall for the wife to read - She might think my little ("too expensive" in her words) homebuilt is really a bargain!

Thanks for the comparisons,

EDMO

Posted

There's just something about the lines of an Avid/Kitfox that I really like...long before I ever even flew one I really liked them. After I flew one for a while I was totally in love. There's a reason my wife calls my Avid "The Diva (Avid backwards if you haven't had your coffee yet) A lot of times after landing a cool off airport strip I catch myself turning around looking at her as I'm walking away. Thank goodness were only about 3 weeks away from being reunited. I hope she understands why I had to leave her sit all summer and doesn't give me too much grief.

1 person likes this

Posted

She will forgive ya.. and thank you for letting her stretch those wings in the cooler winter air.  You know she loves that by the way she performs!

Posted

Ha ha, it's a lot easier to be embarrassed by a cheap Avid/Fox when you are flying a $200K range cub.  Hey, I don't have to outperform them; I just have to go most of the places they do to feel like I am beating the pants off of them.  Most guys would be afraid to take a $200K cub into places that are iffy, it's all what you have to loose.

Good comparison on the prices; although the prices only hold if you buy the plane already built.  Never add up your reciepts if your building one.....and I don't think you ever really quite building or changing something.

1 person likes this

Posted

WTF?

you´ve got to love this comparison.....same fun for way less money! --that does it--- my next plane has to be a FAT AVID to match the owner of course!!

Posted

I'm home sick today, so I gotta poke a few BCP'ers with a stick again.

Rich (rw2) is such a tool.

1 person likes this

Posted

ohoh, I will have to go take a field trip and see what kind of liberal shit he is talking about now.

Funny, I got a ton of jokes and pictures off his blog that he thought was derogatory to women pilots... I thought they were funny as hell :lmao:

Field trip to BCP guys!

Posted

ahhh... I see what got your blood pressure up.  I can see it taking a turn for the worse now.  I didn't even look, has ZZZ moved it to hot air yet?  :lol:

I already have a reply to him ready, I'm just waiting to hit send :lmao:

Posted

well it went to hot air, but I am a little disappointed he didn't take the bait :lol:

Posted

The limousine liberal wont post any more because he requested out of the hot air section a while back.

Honestly I'm just about done with BCP. There really isn't much there for me anyway, other than Greg Swingles videos.

1 person likes this

Posted

It seems to have taken a turn after the new sight launched.. Just don't feel the same.  The problem with growing and having sponsors.. The ZZZ man don't let loose like he used too... I don't have a rep to protect other than being an asshole, and I can do that just fine from here :lol: